Sunday, 6 July 2014

Picnic Outfit

 

Today I'm joining Jill of Everything Just So and Adrienne of The Rich Life on a Budget for their series "How I Wear My...." and this month's theme is a Summertime Picnic Look.  I usually only get to go on picnics when I'm on holiday in warmer climes.  When we go Spain we often take a picnic lunch to the beach.  We make up some sandwiches with sticks of Spanish bread which soft and white on the inside and crunchy on the outside.  We drizzle them with olive oil, stuff them generously with slices of jamon serrano, ripe tomatoes and some lettuce.  We also pack some fruit and a packet of local biscuits called torta de aceite which are thin rounds of flaky pastry dusted with cumin seeds and sugar.  We also freeze a bottle of water and a refreshing drink (lemon flavoured Fanta is our favourite) the night before to stick it in the bag with the food to keep everything cool in the hot weather.


When it comes to my holiday wardrobe I've always tended to rely on a few favourite bits and pieces every time I go away.  The last few times however, I've made more of an effort to change things up a bit and replace something I rely on too much with something I either haven't worn at all or for a long time. I've had this pastel striped skirt adorned with pale pink flowers in my wardrobe for years and years and it had always been a summer favourite back in the day. 

I realised when I came to pack this time that I hadn't worn it in a few summers.  So it became my beach skirt this holiday and in doing so I rediscovered why I loved it so much.  Not only does the combination of stripes and florals tick the print mixing box in a way that is palatable to me, but the tiny rows of frills with raw unfinished hems is a very pretty and feminine touch.


This is definitely a "girlfriend" skirt, in that my gal pals always go oooh and aaah over it when I'm wearing it, whereas I recall Mr V expressing reservations about it being too girly when I was trying it on it the shop deciding whether to buy.  I bought it anyway!

On this trip I wore it with romantic white summer tops and my choice of holiday footwear was either diamante flip flops, white wedge espadrilles or these very pretty flat espadrilles in a dusky rose lace I found in a local shop.  Very Lanvin I thought, but without the Lanvin price tag!


Head over to Jill's and Adrienne's to check out the other summertime picnic looks!
 
Floral and striped cotton skirt: very old Jigsaw; Corset top: Chine; Embroidered Bag: gift from Mum; Mother of pearl drop earrings: Brigette Bijoux; Lace Espadrilles: bought in Spain.

10 comments:

  1. Such a romantic look! Love the lace espadrilles especially. Your Spanish picnic sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful outfit, especially the skirt. I love your colour choices x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, now that is a pretty, romantic, girly summer outfit! Although I hope Mr V has since come to love that gorgeous skirt as much as you do. And your picnic sounds just about perfect! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too girly - just the perfect amount! What a pretty look for a picnic and the food sounds delicious. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love the skirt and the little lace flats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those shoes!

    The whole outfit is so pretty. The lunch sounds nice too : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a gorgeously girly skirt, what was Mr V thinking?!
    Love that sexy little camisole too! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful outfit! And those lace espadrilles are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely picnic outfit. I love the frills on the skirt and the romantic feel that you portray. It's aways a pleasure to visit your world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...