Monday, 16 June 2014

Toreando


Guess what arrived in time for me to take it with me to Spain to wear at the feria?  This amazing rendition of a bullfighter's jacket by H&M's recent Conscious Exclusive collection.  As this was a collection apparently inspired by flamenco dancers and bullfighters I was always going to be all over it.  And it was an environmentally friendly collection to boot being made out of recycled or sustainable materials.  I actually bought this jacket to serve as a flamenco costume but it was also just perfect for a bit of Carmen inspired drama on Ladies Day.

Ladies Day at the Feria de Caballo in Jerez (essentially a horse fair) is when the women dress up in a traditional traje de gitana (gypsy dress), a romantic confection of Andalusian flamenco frills much like the red lace one my friend is wearing in the photo above.  Women prepare for weeks before the feria for this day. They either make their own dress, shop for one at numerous stores that bring them out in endless variations around this time of year, or to ensure they have one that nobody else will be seen in, they enlist the help of a tailor to custom make one for them.  Woe betide you if you arrive in Jerez in the run up to feria and expect the attention of a tailor!  They'll all be booked!

This was my fourth feria which according to the locals now makes me a veteran.  And I always relish the opportunity to dress up on ladies day! In the past I've worn my own version of a traje de gitana using things in my own wardrobe, such as the outfit in my last post, or one of my flamenco costumes.  This year I thought I'd add an element of the gypsy torero to my outfit.  Now I've never been to a bullfight, nor do I ever intend to go to one and nor do I support it.  But strange as it may sound, in order to understand flamenco you have to understand bullfighting as both have strong links with gypsy culture.  There is a good article here for those interested in understanding more.  I actually recently performed wearing the jacket at a concert having choreographed a dance around the idea of the bullfighter because it went with a particular piece of music.

I have some wonderful photos of what the women were wearing on Ladies Day that I hope to share with you at some point.  In the meantime I'm joining Patti over at Not Yet Dead Style for Visible Monday. Was I visible?  Hell yeah!

Also linking up to Share In Style at La Moda Vita where the theme is Gold. 

Jacket: H&M Conscious Exclusive Collection; Skirt and top: Chine; Espadrilles and accessories: from Spain.

20 comments:

  1. That's an amazing outfit! And you wear it well. I look forward to seeing your pictures from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I love Ladies' Day! Your new jacket is so rich and festive, and you look wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're damn right you're visible! What an incredible jacket and you of all people are absolutely perfect for a flamenco-related collection! You look incredible Miss V and I'm pleased to hear that you were also able to perform in it - look at those details!!! Your friend in the red lace looks utterly gorgeous! Hugs! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't think of a better occasion for that jacket. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a stunning and powerful look. Gorgeous jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. H&M? I've never set foot in one, look what I'm missing! That jacket looks gorgeous on you and looks utterly perfect with the ruffly skirt! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visible, and beautiful! What a fabulous jacket, and so perfect for the occasion. While the drama of black and red are more traditional (and your friend's red lace dress looks amazing), choosing white makes a refreshing change. All the detail on the jacket is stunning, and the whole outfit shows off your wonderful dancer's physique and elegance. Gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, yes, that jacket is certainly a special piece to keep. Marvellous detailing. I'm looking forward to seeing the other photos from Ladies Day as well. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a FANTASTIC jacket! And yeah...I'm yelling that! : P

    The skirt and the flower really complete the look. I have been trying not to shop at H&M anymore but this makes me want to check them out. LOVE it.

    Also the photos are fantastic. At first I thought you were inside a bull fighting ring because of the sandy like ground.

    bisous


    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I recognized that from their collection. It looks great on you!! I also love the flowers in your hair just beautiful
    From the link up, jess
    Please stop by
    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your wardrobe so much, it is full of elegance and detailing and wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So dramatic, so romantic, so packed full of narrative, so beautiful and so completely and absolutely flattering on you! Of course, this was designed with your heart and soul in mind. That must be what happened. That you got this in time for this very specific occasion speaks well of your character; this kind of perfect timing only happens for Karmically accomplished individuals!
    Great post on the article and the article about the article as well! Thank you for the links. I see the connections now, and have learned something today. Deep understanding of cultural arts so often involves the acknowledgement of the unpleasant in the cultural parent of the art. I'm with you in opposition to what we now see as dispicable cruelty, but I'm also against the obliteration of such a potent and culturally specific art form. To be able to experience the living history of an art within it's performance is rare these days. I don't know that much about the art of the corrida, but acknowledgement of the connections between the arts is not the same as condoning it, clearly.
    But, all that said, my burning question is this: did the sleeve length fit so perfectly when it arrived or did you have to have them altered?
    Thanks so much for showing what so many of us would never get to see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visible is right! Your outfit leaves me speechless. And so much beauty in one place - that's the kind of celebration I can appreciate. Flamenco is such a magnificent dance form. The jacket is stunning but I can only imagine how breathtaking it would be to see you dancing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only you could pull this off...that jacket is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear i love your look!!!!!! your jacket is amazing!!!!!! kisssssssss from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This jacket is sooooooooooooooooooo amazing, and I love the skirt too. I would love to go to this festival, just to photograph the beautiful outfits alone

    ReplyDelete
  17. Te adelantaste a Dolce & Gabbana con esa chaqueta de torero tannnnnnnnnnnnn mágica, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh y la llevas con esa falda más desenfadada que la realza aún más.
    la última foto es maravillosaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Thank you for being part of the Share-in-Style family
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just fabulous! It looks like an amazing occasion and your outfit is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...