Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Peter Pilotto


I've not been on the fashion ball lately as work has been consuming all of my time.  I mean, I completely missed the Peter Pilotto for Target gig.  I'm usually all over my favourite designer's collaborations with the UK high street and have often been gnashing my teeth with envy over the awesome collaborations with top designers run by Target on an almost exclusive basis for our sisters on the other side of the pond.  Yes Pret-a-P in Missoni and Fort Smith Stylista in 3.1 Phillip Lim I'm talking to you.

In fact this time, by the time I got around to browsing the collection on Net-a-Porter most of it had sold out and was selling on Ebay at three times the retail price.  No matter!  To console myself I went out and bought the real thing on sale instead.


I jest.  Not about buying the dress on sale, but that it was to console myself.  I've been guilty of going overboard on these high street designer collaborations in the past to the extent that after totting up the spend I've realised that I could easily have put that money to get something from the designer's mainline collections if only I had waited patiently enough for a sale or an Outnet drop.  I've had some quiet shopping resolutions brewing in the background these last few months.  They include firstly to buy less and buy better, secondly to buy to fit my actual lifestyle and body shape now and not the one I used to have, or have in my head, and finally to avoid paying full retail unless it is a wardrobe basic.


As a result shopping on the high street has all but stopped.  That's quite a shift in gear because I was a real fan of high street fashion.  And I still am - however at s I get older it seems to be less and less of a fan of me - but more of that in another post.

When perusing the Peter Pilotto for Target collection I felt similarly alienated.  Not that it was a bad collection per se, some of it looked really very cute, it just felt very young in a way that made it hopelessly irrelevant for my lifestyle let alone body shape.  In fact this collection looked like the perfect wardrobe for a whippet thin university student who lives in warm climes near the beach and goes out partying every weekend.  It would have been my dream wardrobe when I was twenty.  Now (sadly) I have little use for crop tops, printed shorts, skirts with short hemlines, voluminous skater skirts, casual sweatshirts, beach wear or strapless cocktail dresses.


I do love print though and although it is what Peter Pilotto do best, an added plus is that the cuts of their dresses are also very flattering, something I wasn't sure would translate into a high street collection as easy as prints.  I picked this one out of the winter sale rack for its turtle neck, angel sleeves and knee length hemline which gives the dress a definite grown up feel while the print stops it feeling stuffy.

Their last winter collection was inspired by Spain which may be why it resonated with me so much.  The print on this dress reminded me of the heady visual and sensory overload of climbing Gaudi's unfinished Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.  I remember walking in circles for hours up and down winding staircases, along the way catching glimpses of stained glass windows, towering stone spires, columns and sculptures all in lurid contrasting colours.  I remember it as a crazy, zany piece of architecture that somehow has a divine logic - and I think the print here captures that sense of madness with a method to it.


I wore the dress with this black frock coat and boots to afternoon tea a couple of weeks back with a very interesting and delightful lady who is an academic in fashion media and who I met through the blog.  She interviewed me for a book she is writing about blogging.  We talked about the contrast between work wear and what we wear on the blog and she asked me if would wear such a dress like this to work.  I told her I wouldn't as suits in corporate colours is the order of the day at my office and I would worry it would be too zany.  But since we had that chat I have been constantly thinking - well why the hell not?  And as I had to go straight to the theatre tonight from work I did just that - wore the dress to work - so thank you Agnes for the motivation!  Guess what?  Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid - but I do wonder what they were all secretly thinking...

Joining Patti and the ladies over at Not Yet Dead Style for Visible Monday.

Dress: Peter Pilotto; Wrapover cardigan: All Saints; Coat: Sportmax; Mongolian scarf: Topshop; Boots: Moschino;  Earrings: Christmas gift

18 comments:

  1. I am loving those boots and that coat is magnificent. It reminds me of those beautifully structured and oh so expensive Alexander McQueen coats. The Peter Pilotto/Target collection was too surfer girl for my tastes, but there were nice pieces. I returned the tote I bought because I was hoping to use it as a day bag but it was way too massive.

    I LOVE my Missoni/Target stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Peter Pilotto dress on you. I think you made the right choice! As for the Target collaboration, I bought a T-shirt and a blouse and that was it. I saw some of the dresses up close at Target and they were made of weird neoprene-type material. Not for me anyway, but it has been fun to add print to my wardrobe. I usually do solid colors and print comes through scarves. I figured I could try a different look out for a lot less money. You look divine. I bet people at work were wondering if you'd go out for a drink with them. XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a stunning dress, and looks amazing on you. I've been less than impressed with any of the Big Designer for Low-Priced Retailer collections. Like you, I find them too young, too trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked out the collection at my local Target, it was pretty nice, but the sizes were way to small for my plus size body. That's always a problem with the collections at Target. I was quite surprised that the Missoni collection sold out here (small town America) in 2 days. The TV ad for it was amazing, which no doubt helped. Love the dress you're wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a gorgeous dress! And for me, a good motivational example of why I should always save my money for the real deal, and not these collab items. I missed the opening of the Pilotto/Target gig, and was frantic when I realized NONE of the items I had bookmarked were available online... so I went to my local Target - and they had all three tops and the skirt I had wanted, and in my size... except...

    The fabric looked and felt very cheap and shoddy, in person. It was sad, really. For the $29.99 or $34.99 they were asking, I can go on eBay, and buy something far nicer, and more high-end, new or in excellent used condition.

    So let me be the first American to tell you... you aren't really missing out on the Target/Pilotto collaboration. Your dress will probably be every bit as beautiful in five years, as it is right now. But the Target stuff will likely have runs, snags, and little microtears in the fabric after about three months of wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress fits you beautifully and I'd definitely have worn it back in my corporate days, the colours and length or sober enough not to be seen as too out there.
    I have the green version of your scarf - best jumble sale find ever - its about the only thing I miss when the weather gets warmer. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dress ... it looks wonderful, and the coat is a beautifully flattering shape, especially with the boots. M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were probably thinking, "she looks amazing, that gorgeous dress is so much more interesting than a boring suit"!
    It really is a lovely dress and suits you perfectly. Loving the fluffy scarf too! So do you think you will try further experiments in more interesting work wear after the success of this venture? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The real thing is fabulous! Amazing print, amazing dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress is perfection for you, V. I love the muted print, shapely fit and shoulder details. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, and stay fabulous. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning dress--perfect for work & then out! So funny, but I could have written the exact things your were talking about when it comes to purchasing my clothes. I actually stopped shopping at Target about a 1 or 2 years ago because I realised the clothes didn't actually suit me. Why waste my $ on 4 or 5 inexpensive things that don't even work for me? Rather buy one nice thing that is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a beautiful dress on you ... it's so you that it's hard to imagine it on anyone else. Congratulations on the score, 'cause it's a lovely thing on the woman wearing it. That's something that I only aspire to that you do consistently. You wear your dramatic clothing and I've never seen it overwhelm. You wear the understated with equal aplomb. All this, on your petite frame.
    Seems like the professional world is taking cues from what I see referred to as the "more creative work environment" ... creativity is everywhere, though ... in that you can carry off such a bold piece in a variety of work environments nowadays. Lovely post. Thank you for showing us your wonderful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a statement piece! All of the intricate details on this are incredible. The cut is fascinating. I am so happy you decided to wear it to work.

    Those boots are calling my name.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would totally wear this dress in the office. It's a gorgeous piece, and the colours in the design are very unique. The interview sounds interesting, congrats on that. I wasn't near a Target this time, so I missed out as well.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    /Madison
    http://www.fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would totally wear this dress in the office. It's a gorgeous piece, and the colours in the design are very unique. The interview sounds interesting, congrats on that. I wasn't near a Target this time, so I missed out as well.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    /Madison
    http://www.fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just know you're going to get loads of wear out of your beautiful new PP dress Miss V. It has elements that you carry off with aplomb - black and an incredible graphic print! I'm starting to think there is a conspiracy by the high street to fill their racks with horrid skater skirts and dresses - ugh! Your frock puts them all to shame. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow wow wow what an incredible dress, it fits you like a glove! If you ask me you should wear it to work regularly! I hope we'll get a chance to read that interview in her book in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I am new to your site, and almost 2 months into blogging. I love your outfits. This dress is incredible. I also like the coat and fur, great style. I will be interested in reading more of your blog. If you have time, stop by and see me:
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...