Saturday, 14 September 2013

Tee for Tutu


Autumn has well and truly descended upon us in London this week.  I may well have to dig out my coat soon!  How the summer has flown.  In fact how the year has flown.  Did you know, my long time blogging friends, that it has been about a year since Melanie of Bag and a Beret started off the tulle tea party with her autumnal portrait in a white tutu?  I was quite startled when I realised this because it still feels like yesterday that shortly afterwards I was following a long line of stylish women inspired by that post to style tulle skirts for their blogs, eventually even partaking myself in a healthy dose of tulle and tea.

In the end I lost track of where that particular blogging tutu train went.  Maybe it tapered off and disappeared and I'm left wondering who the last tutu wearer was, the last woman standing in tulle out there somewhere in the blogosphere.  Surely a tutu train deserves to come full circle so we can all indulge in wearing ours again!


Well tutu train or no tutu train, none of us should need an excuse to pull out the tulle when the fancy takes us.  And as part of the push to shop more from the wardrobe I've been eyeing the tulle skirt collection gathering dust in the corner of the wardrobe and conjuring up new ways to wear them out without waiting for an "event".  I've found a good way to tone a tulle skirt down is to pair it with the simplicity of a tee shirt.

 

So here am I wearing a pale pink tulle skirt to go furniture shopping!  I went for a white and nude palette, combining the skirt with a more luxurious off-white tee festooned with a grosgrain bow and a putty coloured leather biker to add a more casual feel.  The tee shirt was part of a design collaboration between Moises de la Renta and the Spanish chain Mango a couple of years ago.  This small collection of luxe tee shirts was launched with an event where the models wore them with long voluminous pink or black tutus.  They belted their tulle skirts with a luxurious wide ribbon sash tied in a large bow at their waists to mirror the bows on the necklines of their tee shirts, an idea I used as inspiration for this outfit.


My sash is actually a polyurethane imitation leather belt from Zara.   When I pulled it out of storage I found some blue ink marks had stained the tips making tying it into a simple double knot impossible without the offending marks showing.  Rather than throw it out I got creative with a brooch and took inspiration from Amber of Butane Anvil who does wonderful things with Obi belts.  A bit of origami folding skills and I'd hidden the marks with a different knot style and a strategically placed decorative brooch.  Viola!  No need to add more polyurethane to landfill.


When it came to shoes I had to pause for thought.  The obvious thing would have been to pull out a pair of pale pink ballet pumps. I decided not to go for the obvious and instead went for a pair of animal print kitten heel slippers with a diamante buckle.  It was a bit of a wild departure from the pink and nude shades to throw a bit of zebra in but I actually ended up liking the effect better.


Although I did get some disbelieving sideways glances and outright stares, mostly from other women it has to be said, I'm glad I made the effort.  Furniture shopping was much more fun in a tulle skirt.  I practically floated down the aisles, I got treated nicely by the staff, the chef obliged me with extra spinach on the side with my Eggs Royale and toast in the posh cafe upstairs and I'm convinced I made more elegant furniture choices as a result!  So calling all Sunday afternoon shoppers - don't just gawp in disbelief!  The sky isn't going to fall down if you wear something pretty to go shopping in.  I'm sure somewhere deep inside there is a frustrated ballerina in all of you just waiting to try a tutu on for size.  Join me!  Discover your inner tulle goddess!

Joining Candela of Mis Papelicos for her Share In Style blog hop were the theme this month is animal print and Monday Bloom.at DC in Style.  And as the shoes have shiny buckles and made the outfit I'm also linking up to Bella's Shoe Shine: September Bling blog hop over at the Citizen Rosebud.

Tee shirt: Moises de la Renta for Mango; Tulle skirt: H&M; Belt: Zara; Brooch: from Rome; Nude Leather jacket: Topshop; Kitten heel slippers: Dune (old)

29 comments:

  1. I love this idea, V - to go shopping in something beautiful. And this is a totally lovely outfit indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so lovely - and I love that you wore it to go furniture shopping! Pshaw to the gawping masses! Wear tulle!

    I will have to put my tutu-ish shirt on - I never did do the "teacup and tulle" myself. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your process, how you select the pieces and what inspires you. This ensemble is brilliant. Feminine, with a little edge. Dressy but funky, perfect for shopping for cool furniture, I think. The belt really sets it off, and I'm always impressed with Amber's obi's too. Here's to Fall!! I hope you're not giving up your leather and all-black, though. You do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, autumn has definitely arrived in the north as well, alas. Your gorgeous furniture-shopping outfit is kind of inspiring me to dial it up a notch or two when I get dressed for going to the farmer's market in an hour or so.

    I think I have that Zara belt in black, and given that it's mouldering unworn amongst my belt collection, maybe I should liven it up with a brooch!

    Really -- this outfit is *so* beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maravillosa siempre.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Las fotos son de Nerja-Málaga.
    Ahora vivimos entre Jaén y Málaga como locos buscando casa en Málaga.
    Un abrazo grande, grande
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this post! Your chic and stylish outfit caught my eye immediately on Sacramento's blog! Then adding in the rich narrative and mention of the extremely fabulous and inspirational Melanie... and talk of tulle ... I was all in!!

    But it is your talk of dressing up so lovely in tulle for shopping... that has me most thinking we must be kindred spirits... Kudos to you my dear... I am so happy to hear that I am not alone in realizing 'dressing for any occasion'...can almost always elevate the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous outfit, you look so ladylike and pretty! I love your belt and I had almost the same mules back in the 1990s only in pink and black, I wonder where they went?xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a devotee of being "dressed up" for ordinary events and activities, I wholeheartedly applaud your furniture shopping outfit! What a lovely feminine look, it really does have a dancer's vibe to it, so delicate and pretty. And as always you have a wonderfully elegant poise. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. V. this is so far my favorite outfit on you. It's GORGEOUS in capital letters. You look stunning.

    Have a lovely weekend
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful. Really ... SO BEAUTIFUL in every way. I cannot get over your tee ... we never see anything close to that kind of design here. I'm going back to read this post with careful attention, because it's a wonderful tutorial on pale neutrals and textures and all kinds of creative subjects. But I especially love your description of how it made you feel, and how powerful a tool "over dressing" can be. How you feel often helps determine how you're treated, I think. It's one way I avoid being treated as a servant at our restaurant (works most of the time ... I love hosting our guests, hate being treated as an inferior), and when out shopping, it gets the right kind of attention from staff.
    Love to see this quiet sartorial drama, and no one carries it off like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet and beautiful. I love it! Kiss from Madrid!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE EVERYTHING you did with this outfit. Perfect mix of a ton of different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this inspiration! I have that skirt and the last time I wore it was to a costume party so it is great to see this non-costumey, non-fancy-dress, way of wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this outfit 1 million times over. Love it. You have a gift for putting together the most beautiful and feminine outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful skirt! And the way you re-made your belt is awesome, it looks so interesting and pretty now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh I love how you've put each piece together to create the most beautiful outfit. That tulle skirt is the stuff of my dreams! I adore it with the leather jacket too, so stylish and timeless in its romanticism.
    By the way, from this peek at your house I can see its coming on wonderfully, love the white wooden floorboards and pretty chair.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely outfit, the images are so beautiful. I also agree, one does not need a special occsion or event to bring out the tulle/tutu train. I adore tulle very much. This is what my bf would call "lagom," just enough, everything is balanced out with great styling on this look. xx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I love dressing up even if the occasion doesn't particularly call for it! :) You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great outfit. I would have been so excited to see you as I was trying to choose a chair or a wardrobe. What is wrong with some people? I would say it's probably plain out envy. Fabulous tulle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh V, how divinely gorgeous! What an incredible combination, I love the addition of the leather jacket and I am so honoured by the mention as inspiration. Wow!!! Amazing how joyful and creative dressing can light up a day. So beautifully done! And your post title too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous look. You must have looked amazing in the furniture shop trying out the goods. Love theta jacket, it looks so buttery and is a perfect tonal accent for that look.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This outfit is gorgeous, and you look fantastic - whatever you're doing! Really like that Topshop leather jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look like a poem by T.S. Eliot, urbane and clever and very elegant.

    I loved the Tea and Tulle meme- and am still planning to join in- I think you've inspired me to step up my posing schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  25. V, you and your outfit are so inspiring to me today. The tule with the creative belt, the unexpected zebra kitten heels and the tee shirt. Never waste a day of shopping on just any outfit. You turned my head with your creativity and style!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely palette! I am trying to imagine myself furniture shopping in such a look. We patronize a company that has a store the size of several football fields on several levels and it is always so exhausting to furniture shop. Please tell me the process is more sedate for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wearing a tutu to go furniture shopping? Well, only one thing to say about that: GOOD ON YA! THREE CHEERS!! Let 'em gawp. Yes, it is true, no one will die if you dress up. I have found that myself, although it has taken me years to get to the point where I feel comfortable enough to "dress up" ALL the time. Now, people call me glamourous, although it is usually just because I am wearing a skirt.

    Cheers from Rosemary of
    www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...