Sunday, 22 September 2013

Angora, Suede and Silk


Boy is redecorating taking a long time!  We are still part way through having the walls and woodwork in the living room repainted and it feels like progress is happening at the speed of an ice flow.  Hopefully by the time I next post I can show you presentable skirting boards!  Meanwhile I've been pinning lots of decor inspiration on my Dream Home board on Pinterest - soooo addictive!  I should probably be doing less pinning and more actual painting!  Been discovering some great interior design blogs via Pinterest too.  Also enjoying the irreverent tumbler of FYNCT (although posts have dwindled of late) - if you can forgive the profanities the one liner observations expressing moral outrage at design overload are laugh out loud funny.  I, clutter bug that I am, whisper it, actually like some of the interiors featured.  Mr V and I are thinking for a laugh we might stack magazines and ornamental logs in our fireplace, stock up on miniature terrariums and identikit picture frames, get a pair of mantlers (mantle antlers) and go for a Super Sunday Combo.

We may be already part of the way there.  I mentioned we've been furniture shopping which resulted in the addition of a few modern design classics (or cliches depending on your point of view!) to our humble abode.  Have always wanted my very own Ghost chair!  The furniture and decor is starting to look a bit like my wardrobe - a bit of vintage, some pre-loved hand me downs, some travel finds, the odd upcycled freebie, a healthy dose of fashionable high street copycats with a dash of high end designers thrown into the mix.


I've also had an unusually social past couple of weeks to distract me from the issue of which shade of white we should be using for our walls and how best to restore a Victorian staircase to its former glory.  Last Sunday there was yet another afternoon tea with the girls, this time at the decadent Gilbert Scott restaurant at St Pancras.  Such a beautiful place to have tea!  Photos soon, but in the meantime this is what I wore.  No tea dress this time - it was pretty cold and raining heavily so I opted for baggy suede harem trousers for warmth and attitude.  Femininity was provided in the form of a romantic billowy sleeved silk blouse with a delicate dragonfly print.


And for extra warmth and because I always like my silhouettes to have a hint of the Dickensian about them, a long charcoal grey angora cardigan I've had for donkeys years. With its pointed down collar, narrow fluted sleeves and row of small covered buttons running down the front, it reminds me more of a frock coat than a piece of cosy knitwear. Because of the rain almost all the tea party attendees arrived in boots and changed their shoes for more dainty ones.  I was no different, swapping out of boots into my suede heels which I lugged in a separate bag to avoid ruining them in puddles - needs must! 


In the preceding mid-week I also had the rare pleasure of meeting a much admired style crush and blogging friend from across the pond. Mr V and I had a thoroughly enjoyable evening out having dinner with the visiting Aesthetic Alterations and her Mysterious Photographer.  As Mr V and I emerged from a tube station bustling with people heading home in the rush hour I was saying to Mr V that I wasn't sure if she'd know who I was and then I heard my name being called. She recognised me by my hair! 


Having gone straight from work to dinner I realised all too late that I'd forgotten my camera so sadly no photos but have to say that we were so busy talking I'd have forgotten the camera anyway as they are such a delightful and interesting couple.  Sometimes it's just nice to enjoy time with people without trying to capture it all on film!  The evening made me really glad I started this blog.  After three years blogging I have to say that the best perk of blogging is not brands sending you free stuff or paying you to write reviews.  It is having "met" so many interesting and inspirational women (and a couple of blokes!) with whom it has been thought provoking as well as a lot of fun to swap style stories.  Hopefully I'll eventually meet more of you in person in the future!

Heading over to Visible Monday over at Not Yet Dead Style!

Cardigan: Chine; Suede trousers and nude vest: Cos; Silk blouse and suede shoes: Alexander McQueen

32 comments:

  1. This blouse is beautiful...and I love the way you styled it. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pam--love that blouse! Good luck with the house~ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your design pins and your new house is going to be divine! Love this outfit too, and the gorgeous feminine blouse. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous wisp of a blouse.

    I LOVE your style board. I too am in the middle of trying to get some home renos done. They are challenging to say the least. I love your hardwood floors. The colour is perfect.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top is gorgeous! I love the scale of the dragonflies, and I love the blousy loose look of both the top and the harem pants. They're suede?! They certainly do provide the attitude. And your Dickensian cardigan is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely outfit! It's so feminine without being too frou-frou.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from Visible Monday #50. You look great in this outfit and I love the harem pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to your post, I found AA again! Many thank yous for that. And by the way, I love the things you pin on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaargh! Google just ate my comment!

    Thanks to this blog, I rediscovered AA! And I thoroughly enjoy the things you've been pinning on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with the others, such a beautiful blouse. The sweater coat also added a very nice touch. I sure hope we get to see some of that decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The top is gorgeous and feminine yet you styled it in such that it is so balanced. I love the long cardi :)

    GREETINGS FROM DUBAI
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES (a fashion and life-style blog)
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful blouse, love all the texture and detail in this outfit. But no, not so rain-friendly!
    The friendships are a wonderful product of blogging - speaking of which, join us in Birmingham on Saturday if you're free, Vix and I and several others are shopping and chatting and boozing and lunching, there may even be some culture too, who knows?!
    PS. Our skirting boards still look like yours, after being in our house for 11 years! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic and amazing combination. You are looking so gorgeous. Your outfit looks very elegant and yet casual at the same time.
    Good luck with the house. I know what you are talking about. It's the same here. We are doing a complete renovation and it seems as if it takes ages, well actually it takes ages.
    Have a lovely day
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fab outfit! Those trousers rock!
    We've been in our house for 7 years and still haven't finished decorating - it's like the Forth Bridge. Don't stress, it'll get there in the end. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blouse is absolutely divine! I adore the pattern, you wore it so well!

    Kisses

    Beata

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been great 'meeting' people in blogland :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best attitude of the year, this outfit. I so love the soft, flowy loveliness, especially your extremely cool pants. Just perfectly you and so fine for this time of year. Warm and cool tones together, yummy textures, fabulous silhouette. I'm so happy to see this outfit.
    I'm so glad you're enjoying your decorating. What little we've seen looks like it's all going perfectly. Happy, beautiful you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Take your time, there is no rush, sadly to say, we had boxes in our flat for some time before actually attempting the decorating itch, since we both travel for work. I love that Tumblr site. the "not hiding the cord" image made me laugh out loud. Beautiful blouse on you, and the trousers are a treasure (I adore suede)! /Madison xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most beautiful blouse everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Mil besossssssss

    ReplyDelete
  20. Breathtaking outfit! The billowy blouse and the had me immediately, and then I was able to take in the entire ensemble. Every piece is stunning!

    I just got lost in your decorating links and sent them to a friend who is from England and is a decorative painter. I know she will be entranced. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the blouse and pants together. You look really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! wow, loving your outfit, the floaty blouse, knitted cardicoat and suede harem pants all look made for each other! Your blogger meet up sounded so much fun too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super combination of noble fabrics! Blouse is extremly elegant, and I want the long cardigan now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear gal you're so skilled at mixing different proportions, colours and textures together, to create a glamorous outfit like this that manages to be both stylish, graceful and utterly unique. So very YOU! I adore the combination here, that blouse is beautiful on you and the harems are wonderful.
    House renovation does drag doesn't it, but glad Pinterest is proving inspirational. I love repinning your finds there!
    Would love to meet up one day, here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dearest V, I finally found some time since England to sit down and read my blog list, and I find this. How kind! And just as I was writing about you for my next post. Dinner with you and your beloved was a true highlight of our trip abroad. There are few people in the world who show your passion and love for color, pattern, volume, and fabric, and I simply adore you for sharing that with us all these years. Thank you so much for all you offer—and remember . . . apartment swap!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those shoes are the Bomb. They look amazing with that blouse.

    Hope you will bring your style over to the Verizon Voices Fashionista style hop. We love it when you post and NOW we get your feed! Thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a really great look. Love the subtle mix of textures. Your wardrobe has this dreamy quality to it that I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the shapes and textures, really beautiful together!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree, thanks to blogging we can gain close "relationships" of similar minds.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Coming back from radio silence to disclose my fellow FYNCT devotee status! It has moved me to tears despite having no current (re)decorating projects, so I can't even imagine. Hope all is going well. This outfit is just incredible, another reason to visit again - I so love the sleeves, and agree with everyone else that your incredible mix of textures and shapes in these lovely muted tones is tremendous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...