Sunday, 1 September 2013

And the Bridesmaid Wore...


...Pink and Gold.  Sort of!  I was recently bridesmaid at the wedding of one of my dearest friends, the Other V, and here is what I wore. The theme was pink and gold but I was given quite a large amount of freedom to interpret that - my friend was a very modern and open-minded bride - hence this dress in a digital floral print with orchids in shades of pale rose and candy pink mixed with roses in a deep golden olive.


The Other V is Spanish and her parents, who I've met many times over the years, came over from Spain for the ceremony.  Here I am with the proud Mother of the Bride resplendent in gold sequins and feathers.  The Spanish don't do dressing up for weddings by halves!


The Other V and I met at Cambridge where we were both studying and were members of the same college, Trinity Hall, one of Cambridge's oldest colleges.  She chose to get married in the college grounds with a reception in the picturesque college gardens, part of which is pictured behind me.  That little door pictured above in the wall dates from about the twelfth century if memory serves me correctly.


I wanted to get a dress I would get some wear out of after the wedding ceremony so I quickly ruled out a dress that was too much like full on evening wear. I was always a big fan of Alexander McQueen and the historic references to previous eras the house incorporates into modern designs. I loved the drama of the corsetry and pannier hips in this McQ dress but at the same time the unusual modern floral print means it could be dressed up for evening, or down for daytime events and garden parties.


Although it wasn't a traditional Spanish wedding as such there were a few lovely Spanish touches thrown in on the day.  I got to wear a flower in my hair as if I was going to a Spanish feria.  I wore large flamenco style earrings in pink and gold which I bought to go with the dress.  I found out some time afterwards that they were actually designed by a Spanish jewellery designer.


The Mother of the Bride also bought me a lovely present of an elaborately painted, carved wooden fan, a lovely traditional touch I thought.  Although she hadn't seen my dress beforehand the colour of the fans painted flowers matched it exactly!  With fan, flowers, big earrings and coiffed curly hair all in place the Mother of the Bride marvelled that I looked just like the flamenco dancing Andalusian I regularly pretend I am.  "Que Jerezana te has puesto!" she exclaimed when she saw me (I'll take that as a compliment!).


And here is the blushing bride, the Other V, resplendent in pale cream lace and a carved wooden white fan of her own.  She made a truly beautiful bride!  I shall have to post on the nuptials in more detail in another post.  We were both grateful for the fans in the end because the Spanish touch extended to the weather - it was absolutely roasting that day, with gorgeous sunshine and delicious afternoon heat, just perfect for a wedding.

Linking up to Monday Bloom over at DC in Style where there is a wedding guest theme this week and Verizon Voices Fashionista Style Hop over at Modly Chic.

Bridesmaid Dress: McQ; Pink suede heels: Alexander McQueen;  Earrings: Anton Heunis; Embroidered Clutch: Kate Moss for Topshop via Ebay

29 comments:

  1. Two beautiful V's today : > Your McQueen dress is just exquisite, in print and shape, and on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dresses by all you 3 ladies. The fans are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look divine! What a perfect choice of dress, and your fan is serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning and unusual dress. The colours and the pattern are so pretty for a summer wedding. The cut reminds me of a tulip.

    Those earrings are gorgeous! How lucky of you to find them.

    Looks like a lovely wedding. Everyone is so fashion forward.

    Thanks for the kind comments on my blog : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful dress, I am in love with its print! Love your earrings, too and the fan is amazing. What a lovely gift indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is beyond beautiful - I thought it was a shortened 1950s one at first! Your hair looks amazing.
    I love the mother of the bride's sequins and feathers, too. No lilac two pieces and flesh coloured shoes here!
    I thought of you throughout the Gypsy Soul documentary, hoping you'd watched it too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my dear! Wow, this is a real stunning dress, certainly one of my favourite looks of yours-the cut, style and floral design are spot on and I would wear this in a heartbeat!! You and the bride look so lovely and the brides mum looks totally amazing! Hope you have a good week, thanks for your lovely comment xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. One word, V: STUNNING! You are flawless! The dress, earrings, hair..... Seriously, perfection! That dress is so flattering on you and, to me, kind of captures the essence of YOU! Hugs to you gorgeous! Serene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the fans. I have a couple beautiful ones myself, and pull them out for exactly these kinds of occasions.

    Thanks for your heartfelt comment on my last post, doll! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing dress, design, shape and print. And your accessories - including the fan - are gorgeous. What an opulent-looking wedding party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning dress. You look amazing. As do the bride and her mum, and it's great to see those beautiful fans in action too for a hint of Spanish style! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. now that's a Mother of the bride dress! Your dress is sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress is incredible - what a beautiful work of art it is! I love the dress with the sequins and feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab dresses - all of them! My talk with Ari from Advanced Style at LCF conference starts at 6.30pm, hope you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pareces más española y jerezana que yo, lol.
    ME ENCANTA Y QUIERO tu vestido, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Guapa y reguapa.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dresses. I love the floral frock you're wearing. It not only has a gorgeous print but a lovely cut.
    Love the mother-of-the-bride dress! I want to wear that when my stepkids marry someday.
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  17. You were thoroughly lovely! What a lot to admire in your beautiful dress, and that it's McQueen says it all. Those referential elements really work past centuries hard, without seeming anything but modern. That, in my book is Art with the capital A.
    How beautiful you look, and how great a friend was the lovely bride to allow you to shine in a dress of your own choice. Good woman.
    I'm dying over the fans, of course. What a fantastic gift.
    Love, love, love...
    Thanks for showing this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How pretty!! I love that dress and how awesome of her to let you pick your dress. Can't wait to see the rest of the wedding photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How incredibly gorgeous, all of it! Such glorious details. I think that' has to be the best and most wear-it-again-able bridesmaid dress I have ever seen in my life. Thanks for the hints of radiant smiles, all just beaming on this glad occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I love the cut, the colour and the print. The dusty pink is THE colour for AW13 too so it's super fashion forward. The thing I love most about it is the print though, the gold touches are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm blown away by the originality of your choice of bridesmaid dress! Absolutely stunning and I love the pink accessories that make the whole outfit so romantic and unique. Your friend's wedding dress is really lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a beautiful dress. But the fans--what a lovely, lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing dress! I love it on you. I am also DYING over what the mother of the bride wore. Wow! She looks gorgeous too, as does her daughter, the bride! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your dress is one of those prints that you just want to stare at, as it's an artpiece in itself... I do love the print and the colour combination. You look marvellous, it's a fantastic outfit for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi all - this is the bride (Other V). Doesn't Veshoevious look great? It would have been a sin to impose a dress of my choice on her - she is way too fabulous for that. I wanted everyone at my wedding to feel truly at ease and like themselves, and I hope they did. We certainly had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE your whole look - the dress is SO dramatic and suits you perfectly. In fact I think the mother and the bride both look beyond wonderful - loving all the rich textures and lovely lines. Must have been a fantastic wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I think from all the ladies who linked up, I like your Dress the best.The design and colour Palette is so unique. You look stunning! Thank you for sharing it with Monday Bloom Link up, please make sure you followed the rules. such a great blog now following you via Bloglovin :-)

    ani
    www.fleurani.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  28. A LOVELY dress. You have a very romantic wardrobe, and with your pre-Raphaelite curls, it seriously works. LOVE this dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...