Sunday, 11 August 2013

Matchy Matchy


This weekend Mr V and I have been in the historic town of Bath.  This was where Mr V was born and grew up so we visit fairly regularly and I now know the town very well. We are antique furniture hunting this time and I have already picked up a lovely vintage carved spinning chair for our hallway from a lady living here which I won on Ebay last week. These photos were actually taken earlier this summer when we were down visiting. The weather was glorious and we went for a walk by the canals.


This summer I made a pact to pull out some of last year's florals which still feel quite fresh. I quite like the head to toe print that came in last year and which is still kicking around this year as an idea from designers. I'm not a jumpsuit sort of person having never found one that has suited my pear shaped body, but have often admired the style on other women both in the street and in fashion blogs. The continuity of line and pattern can lend the wearer an elongated elegance when worn well. I also love the idea of a floral jumpsuit for summer and still remember a lovely halter neck maxi length one in a ditsy floral print of muted pastels I used to borrow from my sisters wardrobe in my early twenties.  These days I find they don't suit me anymore so a matching print top and trouser is my alternative.  I added a rose print cardigan for a bit of a floral mash up in the spirit of pattern mixing.


I've realised that the times I featured the top and trousers on separate occasions in the blog here and here were the last times I wore them!  A complete travesty as I really like both pieces.  Blogging has really highlighted the lack of wear some of my clothes get!  In the case of these items this has been in part due to the summer last year being so awful that barely any of my summer gear made an outing.  So this summer I had promised myself I'd wear last year's summer clothes come rain or shine.  As well I remember a couple of people asking in the comments on those old posts to see the top and trousers worn together - well I finally got around to it!


Now looking at these photos I realise that, when worn together, the little sleeveless top and cropped trouser their chinoiserie print has more than just a little of an East Asian vibe.  I am reminded of those old vintage Chinese postcards with the coiffed, red lipped Chinese ladies with their floral embroidered Chinese pyjamas, as well as of the little Chinese grandmothers I used to see out shopping in Penang, dressed in their matching tops and trousers and little slippers.  Ladies, I am turning into my grandmother!


Here is Mr V in his favourite shark print tee shirt and weekend uniform of tee shirt and jeans.  We took a stroll by the jaunty, colourful house boats all lined up along the canal.


There is something of a vintage feel about an outfit like this that speaks of an earlier age without quite being able to put a finger on what era that might have been.  Matchy matchy anything has historically got a bad rap in fashion as being somewhat of a style anachronism, but it tends to come back periodically into favour when a more ladylike style is the look of the season.

With the Queen being touted as a major style icon these days this is one of those phases in fashion where you can have fun being a lady.  I've actually just found the matching top and trousers to be a fun look to wear and didn't feel prissy or stuffy wearing it at all.  In fact when I went for afternoon tea later at the Holburne Museum I even got an enthusiastic compliment on my outfit from the young girl serving at the counter!

Will be linking up to Visible Monday over at Not Dead Yet Style.

Floral and bird print trousers and top: Oasis; Wool knit floral motif cardigan: Marilyn Moore; Bag: Michael by Michael Kors; Red espardrilles: bought in a shop in Spain

18 comments:

  1. Wow, V! Stunningly lovely! Like the Hermione de Paula that was love at first sight, these head to toe florals and birds are just gorgeous on you. Glad the whole fanciful suit got an outing, and on such a pretty day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about matching today too! This is a terrific, summery look and does have that 60's ladylike vibe. Come and share it later today at Vis Monday, if you have a chance : >

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fantastic, I thought it was a catsuit at first, the bit between the top and trousers is seamless. I loved sharing the tow path walk with you and Mr V. Bring back those blue skies! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love matching top and bottoms, though it hardly ever seems to reach beyond the catwalk. I wore this sort of ensemble once to school, and everyone teased me asking why I was wearing pyjamas. :) Still, they also admitted that it looked nice.

    You look elegant and I like how you've paired everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a gorgeous print!! It really works beautifully as a set, and yes, does have the feel of another time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this print top and bottom! So 50's, yet better! And how cool are those little barges? Always wanted one. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome outfit! love the matching outfit!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like the two pieces together and the vibe of the print, a cardinal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi my dear-the top and trousers look so stylish and bang on trend too! Love your pictures too, it sounds like you had an amazing time. Wishing you a great week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your top and skirt! As well as a Chinoiserie look, it has that gorgeous 60's cruise style - a great Ladylike era if ever there was one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so nice to see this lovely outfit. As we both have mentioned, "We" do love florals, and you look fantastic! I always mean to visit Bath and have a close friend living there, but something always come up. Must visit soon. :-) xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! I've really wanted a jumpsuit to at least try and have not found a single one. That's probably just as well, as I'll never see anything so lovely here. Really, really flattering on you. Such a clean silhouette that makes the most wonderful canvas for all the referential ideas you note. Asian inspired prints are among my favorites ... can never see too many, and so nice to see on you.
    Put a bird on it, and I'm happy, too. Wonderful.
    (More pictures of Bath in the future, please ... I've always heard about it and would love to see more.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful suit and looks great on you. True, on its own it has quite the Asian vibe, but together with the floral cardigan it goes to a whole new level. Definitely one for next year again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in Bath many many years ago (decades!) and would love to go again. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I DID think that was a jumpsuit at first, you can hardly see the join from the front of the outfit, though it is clearer that they are separates from the back view. But it matters not - the print is beautiful, and the fit is very streamlined and flattering, and matching is the new...err, clash? You know what I mean! I can't help but match sometimes, it satisfies a need!
    Bath is stunning, though I haven't visited for many years. Hope you had a lovely time antiques hunting. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful backdrops for you pictures the town of bath is! I love the detail on the back of that top. Thanks for linking this up last week on the Verizon Voices Fashionista Style Hop. Head on over this week and link up here: http://www.modlychic.com/2013/08/verizon-voices-fashionista-style-hop-august-20.html We'd love have more of your style. And sign up for our weekly reminders too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...