Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Clashy Clashy


Having done the matching florals this season I thought I would do clashing ones this time.  I've realised I did something similar last year in posts contrasting matching floral prints with clashing ones.  And then I began to realise with a sense of rising panic how quickly the year seems to have raced by since then!  Arghhh!

And yet, comfortingly, floral prints, either as matching or clashing sets, have prevailed as a fashion idea.  Maybe time went by so quickly that all the fashion designers just had to whip out the same old idea for yet another season.  I for one am quite happy they did!  I'm proud to say I've actually avoided wearing all black for some time now and the florals craze is allowing me to dress like a kind of mad Frankenstein botanical experiment all summer.


I have to say it is quite mood changing to dress like this, there is no safety net of blending in with black on black or neutrals.  You expect people to look, sometimes twice and sometimes not very approvingly.  But sometimes they do actually smile.  I would not, repeat NOT, try a look like this at work (unless you work for an über creative industry), but it sure is lots of fun for the weekends.


The trousers are from the Mary Katrantzou for Topshop collection and I do love wearing them, the swirly blue, black and white reminds me of the patterning on those Chinese ceramic vases from the Ming dynasty.  I usually wear a plain tee and jacket with them to allow the print to stand out on its own, but this time I decided to provide some stiff competition in the form of a psychedelic, floral print, neoprene biker jacket.


Oh yes! Neoprene! The only other time I've donned neoprene is to go deep water snorkeling.  So wearing it as fashion item is a bit of novelty.  Boy is this thing the best to cut out the wind chill factor.  I've seen a few interesting uses of neoprene as a material in fashion collections over the last couple of years that piqued my curiosity about its wearability out of water and I must say, it's very comfortable on a cool day when you need the warmth of a jacket and it looks fabulous printed.


As I'm probably visible from outer space in this outfit I shall be joining the ladies over at Not Yet Dead Style for Visible Monday, and I'll also be linking up to Monday Bloom at DC's.

Have a great week all!

Trousers: Mary Katrantzou for Topshop; White Tee: Cos; Printed neoprene biker: Clover Canyon; Ballet flats: Dune; Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs

19 comments:

  1. The neoprene jacket is brilliant, V - I have never seen that material styled so colorfully. Wonderful mix here; it is fun to let the style juices flow at the weekend. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi V!! You're making me smile and it feels good!!! The florals are great and the jacket is absolutely fabulous. I'm also lusting after that bag. Love your pretty hair done up in a bun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fabulous jacket - I love the colours and pattern, especially near the cuff of the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you are rocking these clashing prints chicly. That floral biker neoprene jacket is very flattering on you. The cut and detail of how it fits is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How decadent and lush! I imagine you accompanied by bird and insect song, and little rustlings in all that wonderful flora. :) Excellent neoprene print, and oh, the incomparable Katrantzou ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neoprene was massive in the 1990s, I remember having a few strange items of clothing made from it but nothing as glorious as that jacket! No wonder people smile, it's glorious! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippeeeeeeee for clashing!!! Miss V, whenever I stop by for a chinwag, I always feel I'm walking through an art exhibition that I wasn't expecting to stumble upon ... refreshing, surprising and always inspirational. The comparison of your beautiful MK trews to Chinese ceramics is brilliant, while the jacket is exhibition-worthy. It's lovely to see you wearing so much colour, I do so love your black clothing too ... you look good in everything! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do love clashing florals! This is a wonderful confection of flowers, the jacket is amazing. I remember the rubber trousers, etc, so beloved of the clubbing crowd in the 90s (not worn by me, not a good look on my chunky thighs, gotta know what works - and doesn't - for your body shape!) Both prints are gorgeous, hurray for being visible from space! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That jacket is fantastic! Like this outfit and the blue door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh I adore how you've mixed these two garments together to make the most amazing outfit, it totally rocks and those intricate vibrant prints are deeply deeply beautiful! Not to mention how well they suit you: looking uber cool, colourful Girl on a Motorcycle style. You wear florals in a way that is so refreshing, modern and inspiring my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this mix of florals and that jacket is especially divine! Neoprene! I need a jacket like that. It was so fun to meet up with everyone at Visible Monday, I will have to do that again soon. Think about joining Adrienne and me for "How I Wear My: Neon" we would love it if you did! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. From where I sit, out here in computer screen land, the pant print looks like it moves up your hip ... to the bottom of the jacket in places ... and them morphs into the Katrantzou print! Nope, not smoking or taking anything that might prompt hallucinations.
    There ... on the back of the jacket ... so like your pants! Just a dynamite combo, and anyone frowning at your outfit is just squinting, trying to get a better look. Just the right way to mix these prints in a cool way.
    I'm getting a kick out of the neoprene looks ... I'm all for keeping it fresh. Has a very techno-90's iconoclasm that I like a lot right now. The shapes you can get with this fabric (?) ... material? ... are always interesting!
    Fabulous bag. Marc Jacobs, you say! Perfect.
    So happy to see you out and about and back on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi my dear!! Love love love this look-one of my favourites on you-the jacket is gorgeous and goes perfectly with the trousers, my kind of look for sure! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. that jacket is amazing, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. You inspire me with your clash of florals with blue door as background. It takes talent and a great 'eye' for color to put these beauties together so that they look like a magazine cover. How fun and mesmerizing it would be to run into you on the street in this colorful ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a bold and great outfit. I see where you coming from. One has to be in the mood to go out into the world in clashing patterns. I can see how you can where one item or all. Perfect for Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. If I passed you on the street, I'd envy you your outfit, and being able to come up with something that clashes so harmoniously, if that makes any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one fabulous neoprene jacket! The cut is gorgeous and the florals a wonderful surprise. I would love to wear it to a meeting.

    And you're right -- banyan trees in Asian jungles. I was in the Philippines visiting family and friends. My brother was on a film shoot and he invited us to their shoot location full of ruins overgrown by the jungle (there were monkeys hiding in the trees and eagles around too). -- J xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You say its clashy clash but the go together surprisingly well! Thanks for linking this up last week on the Verizon Voices Fashionista Style Hop. Head on over this week and link up here: http://stillblondeafteralltheseyears.com/2013/08/plymouth-style-verizon-voices-fashionista-style-hop/ We'd love have more of your style, so sign up for our weekly reminders too (if you haven’t!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...