Sunday, 21 April 2013

Wardrobe Interrupted


A few months back I mentioned that we were aiming to move to a new place.  Well we are currently packing up to move but not quite yet to the new place of our dreams.  We've made an offer on a really lovely flat but the process of purchasing has stalled so we are yet to exchange contracts.  In the meantime we are having to move out of our current abode into temporary accommodation as we've already given notice.  We move out mid next week so currently we are in the chaos of packing.  Our flat is full of boxes and upturned personal possessions.  We are putting everything in storage with no clear idea of when we might see it all again, such are the perils of the process of buying a property in the UK!


I have to say that we leave this flat with a great sense of relief.  The bathroom ceiling looks like it is about to come down due to an ongoing leak from the upstairs flat, the boiler never works, the shed is leaking and getting the landlord to repair anything has been an uphill battle.  We also won't miss the terrible and persistent racket we have been enduring for the last couple of years from the neighbours from hell.  I'm looking forward to living somewhere with more space and where I can actually hear myself think when I come home.

In the meantime it has been an enlightening and frustrating process packing up the wardrobe.  I face the rather formidable wardrobe challenge of having to whittle everything down to a capsule wardrobe of no more than one suitcase's worth of items.  This needs to last me until who knows when and to cater for working in an office, flamenco classes, and performing in flamenco gigs.  I'm struggling ladies, I'm struggling.  My bata de cola takes up half a suitcase on its own!

It is pretty frustrating to see all the fun, pretty things I'd like to be wearing being packed up in boxes now that the sun has come out to play.  It has also been sobering to see just how many clothes and shoes I have.  Boxes and boxes and boxes of the stuff.  I've noticed many repeating themes.  It is as if a woman with obsessive compulsive shopping disorder has been shopping for my wardrobe.  Oh wait - that woman would be me!  I managed to half fill a box with tutus...


...and another entirely with flamenco costumes!  Somewhere else there is box full of sequined jackets, another of feathery things, another of little black dresses and another of furry coats and gilets.  So I now have a banned items list when I go shopping - if that is, I dare go shopping again!  Mr V is muttering darkly about a one in, three out policy and giving me looks as yet another box appears in the hallway.  I now concede shamefacedly that he has a point.


To be fair there has been a bit of a clear out, hardly the brutal pruning that is needed but, progress is progress!  After a long dark winter of indulging in comfort food some, ahem, extra padding gained has forced me to give away stuff that no longer fits.  Note to self: return to regular pilates sessions immediately.


So adieu dear wardrobe!  May we be reunited sooner rather than later and hopefully in a place with more space within which to hang you.

In the meantime, whilst we are in this uncertain state of flux, blogging and visiting other blogs to comment will be increasingly difficult as there will be limited access to the internet.  I shall pop up from time to time to say hello, time and Wi-Fi permitting, but I can't say when regular service will resume!

And so adieu to you too dear reader!  May we be reunited soon, perhaps via another blog reading service.  If you are a regular visitor I hope that with Google shutting down their Google Reader service (boo! hiss!) that you'll continue to visit via another route.  I'm on Bloglovin' and have recently transferred all the blogs I'm following over to that service, hopefully I'll make it onto your lists too! My Bloglovin' follow button is up there on the sidebar.  If you want to connect via these routes I am also on twitter (@taxnomywardrobe - note unusual spelling due to not enough letters on twitter!) and Pinterest (under Veshoevius).  Take care and I look forward to exchanging wardrobe stories with you all again soon.

Joining Visible Monday over at Not Yet Dead Style for a last hurrah before we lose the internet!

32 comments:

  1. Oh girl! I'm going to miss to miss you!! I love reading your posts, even though I comment infrequently.... Moves are exciting and telling! When we moved a year and a half ago, I was SHOCKED at how much stuff I had! It will be a great experience for you to come back to those boxes in a few weeks and see what you actually missed and what you never even thought about. Big hugs to you my friend!!! Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the move and downsizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be sorely missed! All the very best with everything and hope to see you back regularly again sooner rather later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the move. The thought of living out of one suitcase for an undefined period, when the weather could do ANYTHING and probably will, makes me a little faint - you, however, are made of sterner stuff! All the pretty things will be waiting patiently for you in storage, ready to come out and play as soon as they are called upon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your move goes well. I know how stressful those can be.

    Best of luck in finding the place of your dreams and I hope we catch up again in the future.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I want a box of tutus! But would have nowhere to put them either. :) I remember that utterly fabulous bird-floral as well. I'm thrilled to hear of your escape from neighbour-hell, and all best with the harder parts of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope we see you again soon, V! Good luck with the purchase, and the move(s). I think your fabulous dance costumes should not count against your storage of clothing - they are special! We had to downsize quite a bit moving from cottage to condo, but it was actually a wonderful transition, and we like living with less. Miss you!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no oh no oh no...I will miss your blog for the time you are in flux. But...I am very happy for you! I hope you find your happy new home very soon.I'm glad that you are getting away from all of the frustrations of the current uncomfortable residence.
    When we built out home seven years ago...we sold out first home quickly; so quickly that we had no home to live in while the new one was being built. We lived in a hotel for six weeks with our young sone who was on the verge of learning how to walk. I desperately wanted his first steps to be taken in the new home...and thankful, they were.
    I will miss seeing your posts and look forward to your return.
    Perhaps you can created a capsule feature.....I understand the challenge in that; I'm like you, I love to own many beautiful pieces of clothing. Gazing into my closet and seeing all the pretty things there gives me a sense of comfort, a sense that I will have something appropriate to wear for even occasion.
    By the way....dance dresses don't count against our wardrobe, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi my dear-I will really miss you, hurry back soon and very best wishes with the moving too- I hope all your lovely pieces will not be in storage for too long!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, good luck with the move, especially with the chaos of not even getting to move into your proper new home yet. The whole system of putting in offers and then having landlords/estate agents poking into every detail of your life is so stressful. I hope you get to move into your new place soon and settle in.

    Also - those boxes look so tantalising and exciting. You have so many luxorious looking fabrics!

    I'm actually more obsessive when it comes to books... Last time we moved about half of what I owned was books - and I just keep buying them. In my mind a house isnt a home without books across all the walls! I think that everyone should be allowed a little bit of obsessive collectings, so long as you love it all. I try and live by William Morris' motto - "keep nothing in your house with which is neither beautiful nor useful"

    Anyway, look forward to seeing your blog back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is some clothing collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope everything will work out with your moving...and soon!
    Don't stay away too long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope it all goes well...and that we see you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't moved in over 15 years, and I dread when I have to cull down my wardrobe. It's crazy enough when I clean out my closet twice a year!

    Good luck with your move! I hope it all goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you loads of luck and a smooth move. Please don't stop blogging 'cos I'll miss you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your move to a better place. I can't imagine packing up your magnificent wardrobe, but it must be kind of fun revisiting everything before it goes in a box, and imagine the spree of rediscovery when you're able to unpack it again someday! You might not need to go shopping for a while, as everything will seem fresh and new. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to move out several times in my life and want to say that I hate it. All that packing, then unpacking and for some time you can't find the things you need, all the chaos around! Good luck to you with the moving and hope you will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my ... dear V! Moving! The next time I have to do that I will put everything out in the middle of my pasture and burn it! Good luck to the both of you, and please get plenty of rest and recreation. Moving house rates 20 on the Holms-
    Rahe stress scale. Just saying.
    Seriously, I hope you make time to have some fun, dine out at wonderful places, redesign and perfect your personal space and be refreshed by the whole new environment. May everything be better than it was!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing the very best of luck with your move, my dear, I know how exhausting and sartorially frustrating a house move can be, the one we made from London to Devon 5 and a half years ago is still burnt in to my memory! It'll be well worth it I bet.

    It's wonderful to get a sneaky peek into your amazing wardrobe, the colours are glorious and I will just have to contain my excitement about your tutus and flamenco dresses until you've moved in and unpacked! I'll miss your posts and comments sweetie, hope it all goes great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, moving and packing and not to the new place yet. You're having an adventure alright. This will make you appreciate your lovely things all the more when you finally get settled in the place of your dreams. Meanwhile, just have some fun with less knowing it's only temporary. I'll miss your stories and pictures, so I hope it's not too long of an absence for my sake! Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Moving is wretched, even when you're doing it for all the right reasons! I hope you exchange contracts and close speedily, and when I move over to Bloglovin', you'll definitely be on my list. (And you aren't kidding about buying property in the UK being a challenge. So much hassle.)

    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Moving is no joke. Good luck getting your new place-- so much work!! Box of tutus!!!! Yessss! Sequin jackets! Yessss!
    I have also banned certain things from my shopping agenda... Coats. I live in tropical weather and had discovered that I was a coat collector without even realizing it. No more!
    Becky :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a nice move dear, I know that takes time and have done it all too often, but hopefully you will be back to sharing with us soon or I will map out internet cafes for you, haha. Will also find you on Bloglovin' if I have not already. I do love the peek into your wardrobe, as I am always drawn by the sheers, and beautiful lace pieces. xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel your pain...good luck and hopefully this suitcase phase will be short!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck with everything!! Just think of it this way, you get to shop your closet all over again when you and your clothes are reunited. That's always fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll miss you too, and I agree with Margaret above... shopping your closet will feel wonderful!! I hope your new home will quickly appear, the one you've been dreaming about. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear V, I will miss you and feel empathy for the challenges that you face. Downsizing is difficult, and with so many beautiful pieces, I'm sure that it will take time and persistence. Hope that you will be able to move into your new digs soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope you get your place of dreams and that you're set up there and reunited with your goodies soon. If they're packed away in boxes for a while it will be lovely rediscovering them! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. But of course one needs a box of tutus! And containers-full of clothing. Don't worry - soon you will be reunitd with all your treasures, and having lived out of a suitcase for a while will give you new perspective. Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good luck with the new place! Moving can be a gigantic hassle, the company my husband works for offered us another accommodation (apparently better in gated community) but we refuse mainly due to the stress we know well when it comes to moving. The last move was 'uber' stressful as we move from one country to another! I wrote about my flamenco experience yesterday and Grunge Queen mentioned that you dance! Wow, how impressive!

    GREETINGS FROM DUBAI
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck on the packing & moving! I know how tremendous an undertaking that is. We moved a year ago, and honestly, we still have some unpacked boxes in the storage room. (Come to think of it, we still have some unpacked boxes from another move years ago. My husband keeps threatening to throw it all away just by virtue of having managed to live without them for years.)

    I chuckle at Mr. V's threats of on-in, three-out. I recently threw out to my husband that back in the Roman Days, there was an Oppian Law that restricted the women from wearing beautiful clothing and riding carriages. (The men had no such restriction.) I guess men have tried to subdue women's tastes in fashion for millenia! As you can imagine, the women revolted and held what is probably the first ever women's rally! Their voice was heard. The Law was repealed. (Hooray!)

    Love the shimmering fabrics hanging in your closet, and the hints of taffeta and tulle in the costume bins.

    By the way, I meant to ask you. Is there a certain favorite flamenco dancer/guitarist/voice video you can point me to? I'm just thinking of a possible project involving flamenco ... Thanks! -- J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. That reminds me... I still need to do my seasonal closet clean-out! We didn't get "spring" this year, so I'm overdue packing my sweaters away...

    I think it's awesome you found your own photo on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...