Monday, 21 January 2013

As White as Snow, As Red as Blood

 
 
 
 
 

Who is the fairest in the land?  London City that's who.  With all the snow that's been falling for the last few days London is currently enjoying the most magical seasonal makeover which has turned this grey gritty metropolis into the scene of a fairytale right now.

Since this morning there has been a persistent soft sprinkling of snowflakes and fallen snow has settled to a height of ten centimetres in some places.  Right now, despite the cold, it is lovely to be out and about in this winter wonderland.  Fresh dry powdery snow on the pavements glitters in the soft and muted glow of late afternoon daylight and makes a satisfying crunching sound underfoot.  There is a strange quietness, as if the sounds of this normally cacophonous city are being muffled by a giant soft pillow.  Whilst walking through the city on my way to the British Museum to have afternoon tea I was treated to heart warming scenes of people in the small park squares along the way, building snowmen and having snowball fights, adults and children alike.  The snow brings out the child in all of us.

I was determined not to wear all black today and went out in mostly navy and a bit of leopard.  I have actually been thinking a lot about the colour red lately and that I could do with more of in my winter wardrobe.  Quite taken by the idea of a bright red coat at the moment but, in the absence of one to hand, I put on my favourite red lipstick instead.

Here are two good examples of where fellow bloggers have been having an influence on me!  Firstly there was the recommendation over at Thriftmystyle to embrace a pop of red for winter in the form of a red bag.  That planted a little seed of desire to be wearing something scarlet to brighten up the weary winter months.  I've also been following Courtney's challenge to wear red lipstick every day for a month over at Those Graces, a challenge that took her out of her comfort zone with regard to her appearance.  The impact it had on her makes a fascinating read and for lovers of red lipstick it is a must read.  Here's a quote from her as a teaser:
"What started off as a fun challenge turned into an enlightening experience of bravery, boldness and self confidence. I didn’t expect that from a simple tube of red lipstick."
I own a lot of red lipstick but have lapsed into only wearing it for shows and special occasions.  Thanks to Courtney I've been making an effort to wear it more often.  It is the perfect pop of red for winter, especially against the bright white of a snowy backdrop, and it went down well with the girls I met for afternoon tea.  And just look at the example set by Snow White London with her little red pops of colour.  Isn't she beautiful?  London is a gal who loves her red lippie too!

Feeling visible in red lipstick?  You bet!  Linking up to Visible Monday over at Not Yet Dead Style.

Lipstick: Ruby Woo by Mac; Navy Coat: Kaylee Tankus; Leopard Print Scarf: Warehouse; Leopard Print Umbrella: Britt; Navy Lace Dress: Carven; Wedge Heel Shearling Boots: Ugg; Bag: Michael by Michael Kors

27 comments:

  1. London looks dreamily beautiful here, V - and you look gorgeous too with your leopard accents. And -- the red lipstick too! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Canadian it is quite unusual to see someone out and about in the snow with an umbrella! LOL Especially what appears to be a leopard umbrella, or as they say in London Town, brolly : )

    I love the red lip with the whole outfit. Your complexion and hair suite red.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. From swimming pool to wintry landscape, you look spectacular. Love the leopard accent and I should think you'd want to wear red lipstick every day for the rest of your life, it looks so good on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outfit with the leopard touches, and a wonderful smile too! Your photos (almost) make me miss London, such magical and iconic images with the red peeking through the snow. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photography! I must have your bag...I'm looking for one just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the leopard umbrella with the pop of pink!
    Also, Love the pic of the archway and the classic phone booths!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!
    Love your winter ensemble....especially your red lips!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful pictures of the the falling snow, the telephone booths and the winter park.
    I love your coat, umbrella and the scarf. I enjoy the way you frame your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to see that you are embracing your surroundings. Both you and your surroundings look beautiful. That touch with the leopard print scarf is absolutely perfect. I enjoyed seeing the simple, yet profound touch of red in this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The snow is so pretty and you look so chic in it! Going to check out this red lipstick challenge. I've always been a fan of red lipstick and red clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, absolutely gorgeous photos of fairytale London in the snow. Can't get any better than that. Especially with the red phone and mail boxes! You look great in the midst of the snow with you leopard and lipstick too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photos! I really, really enjoyed seeing what London looks like from your eyes.
    You look beautiful with the snow falling gently around you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos and you look great in your navy coat, print scarf and red lips - and you're right at home in
    London with your brolly, even in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the beautiful snow pictures!

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I intend to take that very advice in the next year and stop feeling awed by people in taller heels than me. I actually really enjoyed reading your bit about lipstick and the blog post you link to. Pretty appropriate right now! I didnt know of this particular challenge but part of my new year's confidence is that I'm wearing lipstick nearly every day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous photos - I love London in the snow! Like your navy coat, trés chic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely smile! Yes to red lipstick. :)
    The snow looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. London is a magical city, even more so with the snow. I love those snowmen, and the snow-covered arbor - enchanting! And I love your umbrella! I have a little girl's purse in leopard and pink that I bought for a party - such a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos of snowy London and of you!
    I love red lipstick and wear it often ... it gives me courage and confidence and I'm sure it makes me smile more!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous pictures and I love you in that red lipstick with the navy coat and the leopard scarf! Glorious! Happy 2013 to you and Mr. V my dear. The snow looks so romantic, I hope I feel the same way about it this week when we get hit with it ourselves in NYC, ha ha! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a treat ... thank you for the London neighborhood shots. But mostly for your outerwear experise. Boots, coat, scarf, bag, brolly all so pretty... but where are your gloves, young lady?! Your little mits look so chilly.
    Happy January, kid. So good to see you.
    (I can't come out to play on VM as I am switching up some tools and toys, but will be back in a few days. I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good spot Jan - yes you're right they were freezing! I did actually have some gloves on me but took them off and put them in my bag to take these photos. And then this nice lady came up to me while I was taking photos and asked if I wanted my picture in the snow - in my haste to take her up on her offer I neglected to put them on again.

      Delete
  21. Oh, I miss London - such a beautiful city (I was there in May 2010). I love wearing red lipstick and should get back into the habit. I do have a red winter coat, though!

    Thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Leopard with navy is truly divine, especially in the snow and with your red lipstick. Your photos of London are as inspiring as your outfit, it that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Expertise. I meant expertise. 'Scuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look stunning, that pop of red lippie is a welcome splash of warmth! Snow makes everything look magical but give me heat and sunshine any day. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I need to get my hands on Ruby Woo ASAP.

    You look great :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...