Wednesday, 3 October 2012

El Rinconcillo


A casual visitor to this blog might assume that I am permanently on holiday! Before I can get all my pictures up from one I am off on another. Rest assured, it is more impression that reality. I'm actually forced to take short holidays more often over the summer than I would otherwise as I have to negotiate with senior staff with children for annual leave and usually lose. I do actually work without a break for long stretches of the year but I generally keep work related chat on this blog to a minimum.  Besides, holidays are more interesting!  Wasn't it fashion first lady Diana Freeland who said "the eye has to travel"?

I wanted to share a wonderful bar I visited whilst in Sevilla. Recommended by my accompanying foodie friends, El Rinconcillo was founded in 1670 and is reputedly the oldest bar in the city. We went on Sunday morning hoping to get breakfast but on arrival found the graffitied shutters still down. Come back at one o'clock we were told.


Once inside you enter first into a handsome bar with high ceilings, heavily mosaiced walls, tiled floors and an ancient wooden bar above which are hanging several legs of cured ham.


In front of the bar is an area kitted out with sherry barrels serving as tables on which to take tapas.  Normally in Spanish bars there is a standing area by the bar to eat slightly cheaper tapas, essentially snack sized portions of what is on offer on the menu.  To sit down, there is often a restaurant section with tables and chairs but you won't be able to order tapas but will have to order larger plates called raciones and often there will be special dishes that are not available in tapas size.


Sevillianos eat late. At one o'clock we were first through the door as people generally start their lunch at two.  We were greeted by a very charming waiter who served us our drinks and talked us through the menu.  So charming was he in fact that he convinced us to sit down for a meal in the very inviting neighbouring dining area.


On the wall was an enormous antique poster advertising the 1929 Feria.  The Feria is celebrated in many Andalusian towns in early Spring and originally began as a cattle fair in the mid nineteenth century.  A small mini-town of casetas or tents will be constructed for the week's celebrations and are usually run as a pop up restaurant or bar by local businesses or church groups where people can eat, drink and dance.  Traditionally people came dressed up for the occasion with the women wearing a traje de gitana, a frilled flamenco style dress. Over the years the style of the traje de gitana has changed with whatever was deemed to be fashionable at the time.  Sevilla has always produced some of the most beautiful Feria posters.  My favourites were produced between the 1920's and 30's and reproductions can sometimes be found in tourist shops.


In some bars in Andalusia you can still see signs stating "prohibido el cante".  The sign was actually referring to a ban on flamenco singing during the years of Franco when he repressed flamenco, gypsy culture and indeed most forms of regional song and dance in Spain.


Some pan (bread), jamon (ham) and tinto de verano con limon and I'm happy.  Tinto de verano is a mix of lemonade and red wine and tinto de verano con limon uses lemon flavoured Fanta.  It sounds like a horrendous abomination of red wine! But it is actually surprisingly good on a sweltering hot day.  In addition we had small clams in white wine and garlic, and spinach and chickpeas.


Below is another bar we went to in another part of town. I liked how they made the large clay vats where alcohol was traditionally stored a feature of the interior.


We also spent early evening having a drink at a fancy hotel which has a rooftop bar where you can watch the sunset over the cathedral.  How is this for a sundowner view?


Hope everyone is having a great week!

17 comments:

  1. The interior of that bar is fabulous - we are on a mission to visit the oldest pubs in the US, and I can see that when we get to Spain, we will be very busy (and happy!). Your lunch and drink sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the States has some fascinating old bars!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the beautiful culture with us. It's breathtaking.

    I'm especially enchanted by the Feria art. I would love to find a reprint of that beautiful lady in the piece and hang it in my own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can sometimes find reprints sold in tourist shops and yes, I love to find some good ones and hang them in my home too.

      Delete
  3. My eye is traveling! Keep posting your travel photos, it's so much fun to see other parts of the world. One of my favorite things to do is look through friends photo albums. When someone asks "do you want to see my vacation photos" I say "Yes, and make some coffee and tell me all about them"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at other people's travel photos too. It does give you ideas of where you could go next or it educates you about life in countries you may never get round to visiting in your own lifetime.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your travels with us. The bar is so beautiful. What a feast for the eyes your photos are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - this place is amazing! Such beautiful, busy, exquisite colour everywhere! More pics please. Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I've been on a mini vacation. Thanks to bloggers and there many travels, I've been to lots of interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tengo un reloj en la pared de mi casa igual que el de El Rinconcillo, qué fuerte, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Era de mis padres y lo heredé yo. Recuerdo a mi padre dándole cuerda cada mañana.
    Gracias por este post lleno de cariño hacia mi tierra andaluza.
    I always say:
    I want to travel the world, but I can only live FOR EVER in ANDALUCÍA.
    Mil besos.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to go if only to lust after those delicious tiles! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bar! On my list if I ever make it to Sevilla - which I want to, very much. (Nothing wrong with taking long and continuous holidays in my eyes :) X

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Diana are right: the eye does need to travel. Thank you so much!! Everything looks extraordinary and I must have some tile work in my home!!! Sevilla is now on my "must visit" list. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Vix!! I'm insanely in love with beautiful tile work. I've actually got it on my home to-do list. The food sounds so good and the feel of the architecture is extraordinary. You and Diana (?) are right: the eye does need to travel. This was a lovely journey!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it's Diana! But Diana Vreeland rather than Freeland as misspelled above!

      Delete
  12. I swear, I don't always get your post updates... omigoodness, keep 'em coming though! I love the details of these spaces- the patterned tiles and colour washes. sigh. just dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'The Eye has to travel.' BRILLIANT. I hadn't heard that, but it is so true. A friend - a friend with money - recently took me on a spree with her, into the shops on Sloane Avenue.. got me trying on a Stella McCartney frock in Harvey Nicks.. it was exhilarating. I had just finished being all blase about fashion, and what it did was inspire me creatively.

    That's how I feel about these photos, V. They're gorgeous. I love Sevilla and it's been too long since we've been able to go - and this feels almost like being there. The ham. Jamon. Sevilla is a wonderful, magic city. More like a big town. My friend Sophia just went there for the first time, too, with her boyfriend.

    This is why I haven't dared to go any blogs recently: I can't shut up! Speaking of travel, what do you say I make a quest east next week: pancakes!! ; ) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...