Monday, 8 October 2012

Clashing Florals


Thought I'd better put something in here about clothes in case people are getting bored of travelling photos.  I was wondering how everyone is doing in their wardrobe transition from Summer to Autumn.  I'm doing particularly badly! Due to some renovations at home I put three quarters of my wardrobe into storage about two months ago including all the Autumn/Winter gear and after all this time it is still packed away.


It has been quite an eyeopener to have to survive on a quarter of what I own and realise I have still had plenty to wear.  It has also forced me to be more creative with extending the life of my Summer wardrobe into cooler weather and so I thought I'd share a couple of outfits I'm taking with me into next season.
 

This clashing floral print trouser suit from Sportmax has been one of my Summer favourites.  Given the cold wet summer we had, thick cotton trousers and a long sleeved collared silk shirt turned out to be a far more practical combination than floaty dresses and I am still wearing this outfit out now for extra warmth in place of a top and skirt or a dress.  Besides, it seems that florals, clashing prints and in particular statement trousers aren't really going away over Autumn, it is just that the palette is darkening up.


I don't know about anyone else but I'm not ready to revert to wearing everything in dark shades just yet.  Maybe it is because the clocks have not gone back yet and we are still officially on British Summertime. Maybe it is because we've had a few rebelliously bright September days as Summer fades slowly away.  Maybe it is because I still need to wear something colourful and pretty to brighten the days up before the long dark nights of Autumn really set in.  Or maybe it is just because the floral prints of this Summer were some of my favourite looks in many years and I'm not ready to let them go yet.


It was a bit of challenge for me to embrace clashing florals but I found it quite a refreshing change to see myself wearing a lot of colour, head-to-toe.  I wore this outfit to an eightieth birthday party and the birthday boy told me that my "pyjamas were very elegant".


I'm not in the mood to do some serious shopping for Autumn yet either with all the doom and gloom being bandied about the economy and when there are beautiful things I could be wearing from my own wardrobe.  Shopping ban still officially on (although I'm not going to lie, there have been two black marks!).  To warm up this outfit for colder weather I've been adding tights, black ankle boots, a black wool blazer or knitwear, topped with a black coat and imagine I will continue to do so for a while yet.


I particularly like the studded collar on this shirt which is removable and can be replaced with a plain floral version.  Alternatively the detachable collars can be left off totally for a Grandad style collar instead. Three versions of the same shirt in one!


That is not my baby grand piano by the way.  That is Mr V's grandmother in the picture frame though.

How are you doing with the changeover from Summer to Autumn?  Are you eking out the Summer wardrobe as far as you can or have you packed it all away already and brought out the Autumnal gear?

It is also Visible Monday so head over to Not Yet Dead Style to check out the other Visible Monday posts.

Silk floral print shirt and floral print trousers: Sportmax; Shoes: from a shop in Sardinia

36 comments:

  1. What a fabulous year-round outfit, V! Love the studded collar for a special effect. And you do look elegant at the baby grand! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think you're doing a fantastic job of stretching what you have of your glorious collection into autumn. The shirt with its three-collar option is fantastic and I'm so happy you've had so much fun with clashing florals this summer - coz it makes me happy to see you wearing them:)). Obvs we're doing the opposite seasonal change here in Brisneyland - yesterday was 35 degrees, today it's 18. No complaints, summer can wait - I need to squeeze more wear out of my jackets!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true - the southern hemisphere is going into summer! Sooo jealous!! 35 degrees is my dream temperature!

      Delete
  3. I love your florals!

    I will try not to gloat but we are heading into spring/summer in Australia and I'm over the moon!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those florals you are wearing are very vibrant and bursting with color. The studs on the collar of the blouse is really cool. Your shoes are really gorgeous.
    I wear colour all year long, it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the studded collar with these florals...and lovely photos. My transition is non-existent until I get rid of this cast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I like your very elegant pj's too! With 3 collar styles to choose from...how cool is that?! The pattern is quite wonderful the way it switches back and forth between floral designs. I find that most of my wardrobe goes through all the seasons by adding or subtracting layers as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clashing florals are just fab. I've also read that florals aren't going away for fall, which I'm very happy about.
    BTW I love your travel photos. I get to go on a little vacation when you feature them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the gorgeous clashing florals so much that I want to try it myself STAT! I am transitioning from Winter to Spring quite splendidly! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fall? I'm still wearing the same stuff I wore in April. Maybe next month I can pull out my long forgot sweaters and pretend I have a whole new wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic ensemble, you look so damned sexy in it! Boo to dark colours, I'm determined to keep it bright all year long! xxx
    PS Email me, I want the Damian Hirst gossip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I saw the thumbnail on the linkup, I thought it was a wonderful outfit. It took me a bit to see the mismatch patterns as it looks like a perfect outfit. The interchangeable collars are a real bonus. The outfit looks wonderful on you.

    I haven't quite transitioned to my fall wear. I may change my closet out this week if it stays cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love this outfit. It is a real showstopper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the clash! You are making a strong case for good transitional and bright pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantástica, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Quiero tu camisa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. can we say funky fresh sexy!! love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sitting there in front of the piano, in that pretty-pairing outfit, you are living out a personal fantasy of mine! What are you playing, please? I'm having trouble staying focused on closet issues ... too easy to examine the Visible Monday offerings!
    Jan
    http://www.fortsmithstylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janin - in these photos I am actually just playing scales! I used to play - I played for years in fact, but am very out of practice now. Still when faced with a baby grand I can't help but have a tinkle for old times sake.

      Delete
  17. Oh wow that suit is INCREDIBLE!! I for one will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into dull and dark clothes, so yes I will be taking my florals into winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes. Bam, these clashing florals are a true winner! And I love how you wear them into autumn. My instincts say, curl up into a ball and hibernate until spring. But I know that springy styles will keep me awake through these darkening months. I'm stuck in dark colours - but it's a phase.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh, I thought I'd commented already!! There's nothing like a beautiful piano for an accessory. Your florals are too beautiful to put away, and I love the idea of them moving into Fall with the addition of a black jacket etc. You wear them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! Definitely a winter and a summer wear... sweater and blazer and you're good to go. I'm still struggling to adapt to the much harsher climate here in Berlin. The days can be warm, but the evenings get very chilly. X

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm happy that you were able to embrace florals, which is one of my favourites! I love making your outfits versatile for the seasons. This outfit reminds me of Erdem, I love the bits of clashing and studded trimmings. Thanks for your lovely comment my dear... always appreciate your visit. Have a marvellous week.-xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's some of the best pattern mixing I've seen. Gorgeous! You look like you should be drinking a cup of Jasmine tea in an English garden listening to Claude Debussy. I know, I've got my continents all mixed up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun "clash!" (It's actually a rather harmonious blend.) It's been mostly pretty warm here still, so haven't gone full-on autumn yet. I'm a bit behind the curve on clashing prints, but today am dipping my toe in with a striped sailor shirt, printed silk scarf and leopard pumps. Baby steps...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm with you on the wardrobe changeover. I much prefer Summer dressing and every year put it off until the cold forces me to do it!! Also, I often go away in September and (vainly) do not want to cover up a good tan on my return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shame in showing off a tan I say!

      Delete
  25. The detachable collar is a great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! How does this manage to work on you? Magic? ;) Really lovely ensemble.
    Summer to fall wardrobe...hmm.. It is still hot where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic outfit! Lovely print. And I do think you can wear it year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing, and it actually looks like it matches. The dark patches in the trousers pick up the dark ones from the top. But my favorite part is that studded collar! It transforms the whole outfit from pretty to edgy! (I smile at the 80th birthday party. I have many octogenarian friends/family and I think they are a wonderful hoot -- opinionated and eccentric and so full of wisdom.) -- J xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never seen anything like the suit... it's a bit much to take in. But after a few looks... I think I like it! It seems to be a real change from the outfits you were blogging awhile back, it's really interesting to note the change!

    I'm also not quite up to switching out my wardrobe for the season... I know it needs doing, but I always find something else to do. Or we have a particularly nice day, and I'm glad I still have summer things out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your fun style! You have such amazing fashion sense, totally out of the box but still practical and fabulous! You look amazing:) I'm your newest follower love!

    I hope you'll check out mine and follow back if you like it!:)

    Can't wait for more posts!

    --The Urban Lioness
    http://www.theurbanlioness.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous - really, stunning. I think you're transitioning quite well !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...