Monday, 10 September 2012

Sunday Best


A couple of weekends back I went for Sunday brunch with friends in what I considered was a very posh neighbourhood. I am not in the least bit posh, so I decided I'd better make an effort and dress up in a prim, ladylike, Sunday Best kind of outfit so as not to scare the locals.  A lacy princess coat, pleated blouse with necktie and a demure midi-length skirt and ballet flats seemed to fit the bill.

In the end, looking at these photos, I think I look a bit more like a little girl being packed off to Sunday School.  Or perhaps even her teacher.  And I needn't have bothered either.  Everyone was in sweats, jeans, shorts, tees and sneakers.  In fact so overdressed was I compared to the Sunday morning crowds that I probably succeeded at being slightly scary anyway.  Perhaps I should stick to sleeping in on Sunday mornings in future.

This kaleidoscope print skirt by Acne from the Spring/Summer runway collection was a bit of a sales splurge.  It's hard to know whether embracing a midi skirt is a good idea if you're short like me but I just fell in love with the print on this and the texture of the organza is gorgeous.  The material has a gossamer like sheen to it in the sun and the skirt is slightly translucent.  When back lit it looks like a large, luminous, elaborately painted paper lantern. Sometimes what the heart wants, the heart gets.  And it helps if what it wants is found at 80% off!

Its partial transparency means wearing a slip is advisable or an extra long blouse tucked in as I had to here.  I was dying to wear it out but I think I need taken it up a couple of inches to wear it in the future or just wear it with heels.  Having said that I was actually grateful for the length when a chilly wind picked up in the afternoon!

A less splurgy sales find was this cotton lace coat from Zara.  I just love the texture of this and it was reduced in Spain to twenty nine euros.  I, ahem, did quite a bit of sales shopping actually.  So much so that a couple of weeks ago I put myself on a shopping ban for a month.  I might stretch it out to two months if I can get through the remaining ten days.  Baby steps and all.

It may be Sunday Best but I'm participating in Visible Monday anyway.  Head over to Not Yet Dead Style to see what everyone is wearing.

I'm also participating in the Everybody Everywhere Back to School Challenge.
EBEW - Back To School

Havilland Organza skirt: Acne; Silk pleated shirt: Sportmax; Grey cotton cardigan: Cos; Lace jacket: Zara; Ponyskin ballet flats: Dune; Floral brooch: random boutique in Rome

23 comments:

  1. The skirt really is lovely. I feel your pain about feeling overdressed through. Hate that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The print on that skirt is beautiful and you don't look like a shortie in the slightest although I know what you mean, midi's make me feel like a midget! Overdressed? Get away with you! Wait till you see what I've packed for a few days in the Lake District (Lame, disco ball jewellery, psychedelia...I'll be a laughing stock!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love this outfit, but I have done the same over-dressing bit and said to myself "wished I'd gone with the jeans." : > You look lovely, and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you inspired someone else to dress nicer! I like the way the pattern in the lace jacket picks up the pattern in the skirt. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally understand what a temptation the skirt was! I worry about proper dress for things like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a prim look!!! A Mrs Slocomble hairdo would have set that off nicely!!XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm smiling because I think you look totally gorgeous and I love the fact you tried something different. I'm always getting it "wrong" for the occasion and crowd, and I know that if I saw you, I'd instantly want to be your friend because you'd be the only interesting person there! I'm loving midi skirts all of a sudden (I guess my eye is shifting again) and this one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me encanta tu falda, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Pasiones!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn! I hate it when I show up overdressed (or worse yet, under dressed).
    I think you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your skirt is beautiful, as is the cotton lace coat. I'm sure that you had many admiring glances! I never mind if I'm overdressed as I beat to my own drum. Perhaps wearing hats daily has brought me to this place of putting together an outfit and walking out the door with no thoughts of what others may think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kudos to you for dressing up, not down! Or for trying something different as Jean says, rather than trying to fit in. Any way, what you put together looks wonderful and thoughtful and perfect for a Sunday morning or any other day! Come to think of it, midis are my skirt length of choice, what I find the most attractive length on me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that lace coat is perfection! I love ACNE, I wear their denim mostly, but love the printed skirt also the length. I like a nice prim look, you look beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pattern echos of the shirt and the print of the skirt remind me of water patterns after a rain drop falls in a puddle. Lovely.

    Sunday Best was a title I called a post when I wore navy/white/cream combo- it does remind me of church! I am glad you "over dressed" because I think the world would be a better place if we skipped jeans and track suits every once in a while and just dolled up.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, I hate when I go somewhere and I'm the only one who is way overdressed! But hey, they always say it's better to be overdressed then underdressed!

    Love the pattern on the coat! Great for a Sunday brunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love LOVE the lace jacket - it's exquisite. Everywhere I go, everyone else is always underdressed! Any chance of a close up of the lovely brooch?

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The kalaedoscope print of that skirt looks beautiful. Like a real one. I had one when I was a kid that I loved and the colours were all muted like that, it's kind of magical.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice to be dressed up even if no one else was!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, reminds me of this very posh party I was invited to and I showed up in an Acne (coincidence :) evening dress and everyone was wearing jeans... Personally I think your outfit looks wonderful - pretty, but with an edge.

    P.S. The bikini choice and delivery went supberb - I want to photograph and post about it. Soon! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dreamy kaleidoscope print is beautiful! By coincidence, I just saw the DVD of "Coco & Igor" and the credits and theme are of these changing kaleidoscopic wallpaper prints. Love that lace jacket too. Definitely more feminine than the Queen's prim jackets! -- J xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think you look like you're being packed off to Sunday School at all. I think the outfit is perfectly feminine and lovely - the skirt, the lace jacket, the blouse with the tie bow. So pretty! And doesn't the saying go that it's better to be over-dressed than under?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that skirt. And it's ok to be overdressed, eh. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...