Sunday, 27 May 2012

Birthday Suit


I turned forty on the weekend so I decided to celebrate.  I wasn't going to at first, as I wasn't feeling great about the whole thing.  It wasn't so much the worry about the onset of wrinkles or crinkly knees (though obviously that is some part of it!), but more really the whole what have I been doing with my life up until now thing.  The where are all the big achievements and what should I have done by now and haven't kind of thing.


But then I thought oh why the hell not?  Throw a party!  It sure beats my original idea of hiding away somewhere and crying into a bottle of wine.  I think I spent so much of the last year stressing about turning forty that I forgot to just enjoy being thirty nine!  That's kind of taught me a lesson in itself.  So here's to not stressing about what age I am in any year any more!!


I celebrated by having some drinks and snacks with a few friends at a favourite local pub with the necessary ingredients for a party, namely access to alcohol...


...a lovely setting with some nice music in the background...


...nibbles...


...and miraculously, some glorious summer weather!   Yes summer finally arrived in London just in time for my birthday!


The wonderful Mr V. surprised me with a flash new camera for my birthday, which I proceeded to forget to use all night running around serving canapes and catching up with people I hadn't seen in ages.  I told guests to get dressed up and many obliged!


The evening was a happy blur of wine, champagne, canapes, cupcakes, double chocolate fudge birthday cake and wonderful conversations with friends new and old. (So happy in fact that most of the photos I did manage to take came out completely blurry!!) All in all I couldn't have asked for a lovelier way to celebrate.

It was all quite last minute but I'm so glad I did something in the end.  As a guest remarked to me, it's important for all of us to celebrate milestone birthdays as it is about being visible as a human being in a culture where sometimes it feels that the only phase of human existence that is celebrated is our youth.  So I'll leave you with a lovely thought written in my birthday card from a forty plus friend who is already in the know: really you only get smarter, wiser and more beautiful with age.

In keeping with being visible I am linking up with the other ladies as part of this week's Visible Monday hosted by the lovely Patti over at Not Yet Dead Style.  Quite apt I think!

Thanks also to Bella of the Citizen Rosebud who warmly welcomed me into the forty plus bloggers hall of fame (where you'll find some very stylish forty plus ladies whose blogs I love!).  She sent me a fabulous floral commemorative widget which cheered me up no end and which is going up on the side bar today now that I am officially forty plus!

25 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you, Miss V, and welcome to the Over 40 and fabulous club (not that you weren't already fabulous)! I'm glad you had a wonderful occasion to mark an important birthday, that the sun shone and that you were able to wear your gorgeous summer gear which I know is far more you than the heavy winter layers.
    Yes, you really do get smarter, wiser and more beautiful with age, here's to the next 40 years. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday...you should celebrate...40 doesn't mean any of those things...in fact, I am about to turn 59 and I celebrate each and every day!! You look fabulous so go out and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, V! I am so happy that you decided to celebrate, and you do look gorgeous. Forty sounds wonderfully young, with so much of life ahead, looking at it from my age (57 in a few days) -- so I guess it is about perspective : > thanks for linking up to Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the texture and color of the necklace and sweater together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our 50's are great too! In fact, the fun just begins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!! Your outfit is great!

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!

    It's crazy coincidence, but I was just sitting outside with MP, bemoaning if--now that I'm approaching 40--I should make some clear plan or something, or just keep evolving as life opens up. The first way gives clear goals and clear success (or failure), whereas the second emphasizes keen eyesight for where to JUMP in. Not sure what I think--except that I know where pleasure is for me, and it's not easy pleasure, but the kind that asks a lot. I believe you feel that with your dancing.

    You're 40 and you're dancing. That's pretty hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! I'll bet that not too many days pass by before you realize that your best days are still ahead! This is top secret information that no one could have convinced me of before I turned 40. You look amazing. And yeah for the new camera. Does that mean more frequent blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I love what you are wearing to celebrate - so many textures and spanglers and layers... Dreams can be achieved at any age (I keep telling me myself that!). You're just getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy birthday! Sounds like a great party and love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday lovely, I'm so glad you had a good night. And I love your sparkly little bolero, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! You looked fab in the pics. Love the necklace! It is wonderful that you had a great time.
    I remember how disappointed I was when I turned 40. I thought it should be some momentous occasion and it was really just another day in my life. I wish now I had treasured it a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your ensemble, the color combination of textures is so luxurious...like the birth of Venus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Beautiful! What a vibrant celebratory outfit. My 60th year was the best year of my life, so you have much to look forward to. And as far as accomplishments, I think I remember reading some very impressive things that you've done with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 40th Birthday and congratulations on making it into Bella's stylish 40+ list! So glad you got decked out (love the necklace and all the sparkles. Age doesn't dull a diamond, right?) and had a blast with your friends. For me, I've just stopped counting and actually do not remember how old I am until someone asks and I have to do the mental calculations. Since my brain cells are beginning to go, I'd rather save them for enjoying life than keeping track of a number! Anyway, as I get older, I think of the old adage:

    Youth is wasted on the young.

    So true! Enjoy being in your 40s! -- J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. My aunt like to say "If you don't want to grow old, you have to die young!" Glad you decided to celebrate. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday lovely!!! Glad you decided to celebrate - and had a fun time too :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to you! Love your birthday suit, the colors are so soft and calming. Hope you had a wonderful day! Life begins over 40! Found you from Visible Monday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday to one of the most stylish (and ageless) bloggers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday! Just like you, I spent most of my 39th year worrying about being 40 and in the end, it was absolutely fine. Always good to celebrate, though I'm slightly nervous about my next big birthday which is rapidly approaching. Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy 40th! I celebrate my 40th in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is belated, but happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very, very belated happy birthday my dear! You look stunning! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...