Friday, 6 April 2012

Ice Cream Colours


Happy Easter everybody!  Spring is here at last!  Spring means birds, bees, buds, flowers, green shoots, sunny walks in the park and ice cream!

It's hard for me not to get excited about the return of pastels this season when you call them something as mouth wateringly enticing as ice cream colours.  Given that it is Easter and everyone is about to crack open their Easter eggs and indulge their sweet tooth, I thought it appropriate to reflect on how fashion designers have been imploring us for some time to give in to our sartorial sweet tooth and embrace the saccharine sweetness of pastels.

A couple of years ago pastels burst onto the catwalks in the form of sugary shades.  Then a couple of seasons later they reappeared, watered down and icier in tone, relabelled as sorbet shades.  This year there's been some cream and eggs added to that sugary sorbet mix and pastels have emerged with ice cream flavours.  How many ways can you say pastel green in ice cream? Pale mint, spearmint or pistachio?  Cream becomes vanilla, blush pink is now strawberry, rose, bubblegum or candy.  Berry flavours translate into ice blue or lavender and fruity ones into palest peach, lemon sorbet and lime sherbet.

Of course it's all the same really.  Anyone who bought pastels the last time around is likely to have things they can recycle to work the trend again this year.  Whether you call pastels candy colours, sugared almond hues, gelato shades, or ice cream colours it's just another way the fashion industry tries to sell us an old idea with a new label.  And sugar is much easier to market than say "pale and washed out" or "chalky". 

I'm usually quite sanguine about Spring Summer trends but this year I am buying into this one.  Walking into clothes shops lately and seeing all those pastels lined up on the rails in all their macaroon tinted glory has literally made me feel like a kid in a candy store.  I'm on the lookout for pastel shades in icy tones that suit my skin tone - ice pink, mint, lavender and ice blue - and then I want to wear them altogether!  Something in my brain has snapped with the opening of the first daffodils here and I am suddenly craving lots and lots of colour.  Or maybe my senses have just been fooled to think that all those sugary shades hitting the stores right now and delighting my eyes are going to fizz on my taste buds and delight my palate instead when I get around to wearing them.

 

A couple of weeks ago we had an usually warm, sunny spell for this time of year which had Londoners scrambling at the opportunity to wear summery clothes and enjoy the sunshine.  I was expecting to find nothing in pastel hues in my wardrobe, but lo and behold, seek hard enough Veshoevius and ye shall find.  This is mostly shopped from the wardrobe.  I found a patchwork suede coat and a vintage beaded cardigan I've had for years in a similar shade of pale blue. I also pulled out last year's blush pink maxi skirt, which I suspect is going to prove very useful this season! But I couldn't resist this very sweet bird print shell top which is the new purchase.  Oasis - all is now forgiven on your Stargate of last season for bringing a print this unashamedly pretty into my life!  And I'm wearing some vanilla espadrilles (not seen).

Funnily enough when this photo was taken in the park we saw many small children walking past and the occasional adult with ice cream cones piled high with scoops of brightly coloured ice cream.  Amongst the vanilla and chocolate were bright pink, minty green, and a rather lurid blue.

This outfit is featured over on the "How I Wear My..." series over at Everything Just So which Jill is hosting this week and the theme is colourblocking.  And it is also on Friend Friday's Easter Colours over at Modly Chic.  Head over to these blogs to check out how other bloggers are working colour for Spring.

And if you think I couldn't get any more mileage out of this post I've also submitted it to Everybody, Everywear!

Image 4554

Blush pink pleated maxi skirt, Miss Selfridge; Bird and floral print tank: Oasis; Beaded pale blue cardigan, Vintage; Pale blue suede coat, Chine, Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs

22 comments:

  1. Veshoevius--when I first glimpsed this look on the colorblocking post I couldn't quite believe it was you. the colors are so different from what I've grown to expect from you. I love the jacket...and the new top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if the blouse and skirt were a dress. I thought they could be. They are just divine and I'm still crazy about that blue jacket. You are so lucky to have found it, it's really special. I bet you get compliments whenever you wear it! Thank you for joining all the colorblocking fun, I loved the addition of your pastel colors. XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello V! Great to see you. I love how you've put together these "gelato" shades (that's my favorite new word for clothes). You look so fresh and Springy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Easter is definitely all about the pastels :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely springtime pastels! My mom used to call these "popsicle colors" because back in Asia, we ate our sorbets in the form of popsicles. Have a terrific Easter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colors are delicious. I especially love the pale blue and I think that I can come up with something similar in my closet. As usual, your ensemble is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for pastels as well! You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love thos colors on you!! I've never been much of a pastels fan but I'm really digging pastel green/mint/etc. this season especially when it comes to accessories like shoes and handbags. So that's how I think I'll be rocking pastels this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look, especially love the skirt!

    Hayley
    The Weekend File

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colours you've pulled out- especially that coat- it's magnificent! And um, the printed blouse is really, really cute- I kinda wish I hadn't gone to check it out on the oasis website, because it's even cuter than I thought and sold out in my size :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's true, they always get food colours... as if there was so much pastel food around. I tlove them, but somehow I think they suit your skintone better than mine :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. That blouse is wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a sweet romantic look. i like it very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How pretty! The bird top and the skirt are both incredibly beautiful!
    -Meagan
    www.brassinpocketblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, pleats! I love pleats! They're so ethereal and whimsy. :)
    Your outfit reminds me kingfisher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Kingfisher), they're the most beautiful birds out there, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully put, and beautifully put together. In fact this is a post I will return to. God I love that jacket, that is my favourite colour and style... it's funny, I felt cynical about being told this was a new trend, too, but the process you're describing... the same thing has happened with me. First, I have always had and worn - year round - these kind of colours. But something very visceral has happened to me recently - and the heat wave brought it about. It's also partly because I was lucky enough to be away swimming in warm weather for a lot of this winter - and I'm still tan - but also, this is, like you said, one trend I have found myself drawn to.

    The other day I spent sometime in the Knightsbridge trilogy of Zara, H&M, and Topshop. And even tho I can easily shop my wardrobe - and am - I still wanted MORE. It's that ice cream mentality: like a kid in the park, and even if Mum tries to explain that we have ice cream back at home, I want a cone NOW. In pistachio, or mint, because those colours suit my skin tone, too.

    Okay, I'd better shut up now. But I just had to say we are so on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you've mixed your pastels. I can't wear them with my complexion, I look like a corpse!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely colours,and lovely print on that top!The jacket has such pretty details! I have always said that i don't like pastels,but then I turn up in them,making a fibber of myself!I think I actually love them!:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the pastel colors, I just don't love them on me! But the sweetness of the colors really suits you!! Big hug to you! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...