Sunday, 1 April 2012

Friend Friday - One Hit Wonders

Happy April Fool's Day! Thought I'd pretend it's Friday when it's actually Sunday and I'm late with my Friend Friday post, which I started last week and then got waylaid.  This week the Friend Friday crew are talking about "the one-time use phenomenon" on blogs. Says Katy of Modly Chic "I've been reading a number of posts lately about only wearing something once and how many bloggers are accused of this. Seems a good topic for us"

My Wardobe (and then I woke up!) - Source: Lace & Tea
The discussion has stemmed from the reputation bloggers are creating for themselves when they do outfit posts where they are only wearing things once. It could be the case but what is posted on the internet is only ever a momentary snapshot in the time line of an individual's life and what they happen to be wearing.  I am not an outfit of the day blogger but as there are many items of clothing that appear in a post once on my blog that get a lot of use offline, I'd imagine that's the case for most other bloggers too.

1. Are you a one-time wearer?

As much as it pains me to say it yes I am.  Not with all my clothes obviously.  My one-time wearing has nothing to do with blogging and everything to do with buying and owning a lot of clothes I never get around to wearing again. And I have a lot, and I mean a hell of a lot of clothes.  I don't wear things once because I can't stand the thought of wearing something more than once.  On the contrary, I have good intentions to wear them again but then a new season comes along and distracts me.  It's not like I wear something once and throw it away.  No no! I hoard everything promising myself I will wear it again!  What actually concerns me more than the once wears are the ones I haven't yet gotten around to wearing!  Yes, I hang my head in shame - I am a zero-time wearer.  It's one of the reasons I started this blog, to challenge myself to wear the unworn and rarely worn stuff more.  There have definitely been some successes but there's still plenty of mileage in there!

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my failure to wear one hundred percent of my wardrobe.  I'm sure there are plenty of women out there with things that were bought and either worn once or remain unworn for a myriad of reasons unrelated to blogging.  There are the things that seemed like a good idea in the changeroom that didn't quite work, the things that needed mending after one wear and never got round to being fixed (yep, had a few of them) and the things in which you had your confidence knocked back by an unkind look or comment when you wore it the first time.  Or that special occasion you thought you had didn't materialise.

2. Do you feel the need to purchase something new for an evening out or a special event? 

Yes. Continually.  It must stop. When a special event or evening out approaches I am now repeating this mantra to myself "you have enough evening wear, you have enough evening wear, you do have enough evening wear".  In fact most of my wardrobe one hit wonders are in the evening wear department.  You'd think I had a red carpet event to attend every week looking at my frock collection.  I don't!

3. Re-mixing is something a lot of bloggers are proud of being able to accomplish - are you a re-mixing pro or do you shy away from posting items frequently? Why?

My posting frequency on particular items is unrelated to remixing and is more related to whether I have time to take a photo and write a post.  I have things that have been posted more than once, usually because they are foundation pieces that make up the base of most outfits.  I've also posted the same dress more than once because I happened to be wearing it in a nicer location sometime after I posted it the first time and had better photos.  And yes, I wear outfits that I like more than once. I don't believe that is a crime, but I might not make the effort to feature those in blog posts as it would be like telling the same story to the same friend twice.

I don't remix for my blog per se but reading other blogs does make you think more about mixing things up even if you have no intention of posting your outfit.  Just visiting other blogs and seeing how people are wearing similiar items to ones you own is enough to wield an influence in encourage you to try something different yourself.

4. Do you have a clothing budget or are you an impulse buyer?

I am a dyed in the wool impulse buyer through and through.  My wardrobe looks like five different personalities have been shopping for it.  Sometimes I'll buy something just because I find it beautiful, because I love the design or even sometimes if I think it is collectible. I've gotten much better at budgeting over the years but there's definitely room for improvement!  I've recently imposed a blanket ban on some items - evening wear being one, shoes I can't walk in, and anything black.

5. Do you find yourself bored when reading a blog in which clothing items are often remixed and appear frequently?

I can't say that I've seen bloggers wearing any one item so frequently as to make me say "oh she's wearing that old thing again - yawn!" and switch off.  Most bloggers I keep up with seem to have a lot of clothes to play around with and the ingenuity to keep reworn items looking fresh.  It wouldn't bother me if they did anyway.  As someone who is guilty of wearing thirty percent of her wardrobe eighty percent of the time I can relate more to people who pull out a favourite item more than just a few times.

15 comments:

  1. Veshoevius, I've never pictured you as a one time wearer, you have SUCH beautiful clothes! But alas, we all are guilty of that whether we buy something new or thrift it. I can't tell you how many things I've been pictured in on my blog that I only wore once and then sold or donated. Thankfully, most of it, I've not spent a lot of money on or it really would hurt! Have a great week girly! Hugs! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your honesty is refreshing! I think I have multiple personalities in my closet as well (actually, its different closets for different personalities). I think because you are a dancer you are able to think in terms of "costumes." I know I went a bit crazy one year purchasing dance items and because I did not persist with the dancing, most of those lovely things hang unworn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be more of an impulse shopper but since having kids (and staying home with them), I've had to cut way back on that habit. Think about joining us for the colorblocking post, maybe Mr. V can get a great shot of you with his i-phone, as you suggested. You still have two days, we'd love to have you, and I've seen some amazing photos taken with i-phones! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this, especially the impulse part. It was a factor in my decision to try to wear something I've made every day, and to continue to thrift/upcycle the bulk of my wardrobe. Not that I don't love the many beautiful things I see, or appreciate true artistry in garments, I just can't afford my magpie ways otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, glad you did this, i love your honest answers. come to think of it, i do actually have a dress i have not yet worn at all. it's a monsoon evening dress, it was new and it fit me so i went for it. But really, when am i ever going to wear an evening dress? That has been one of my biggest learning points, to focus more on buying everyday items that can be spruced up than really fancy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased to hear I'm not the only one with looooooads of clothes. My boyfriend was horrified by the number of boxes and bags of clothes and shoes I had when we moved at the weekend!! No more hiding it!!! Haha! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a proud wearer of 20 plus years old clothes I was pretty miffed when Mr Schuman said that personal style blogs didn't have 'enough clothes' - shouldn't it be about 'how to wear' and not only 'how much to wear'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG -was that Scott Schulman who said that? That's pretty irresponsible of him! I agree it should be about how to wear rather than how much (I just need to put that into practice myself!) - I have clothes which are about 15 to 20 years old I still wear too!

      Delete
  8. How this post resonates! If an item can be worn once in 20 years, for me it's a keeper. I'm a collector and I've come to accept that. But I do plenty of remixing, especially for background pieces. Right now I 'mostly' shop my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your closet! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so wish this was my closet but it's not!

      Delete
  10. As they say in ominous tones, "You are not alone." As I unpack more than a dozen wardrobe boxes which I can't fit into one walk-in closet, I am also guilty as charged! I do reach for favorite items over and over again while skipping over that little something purchased on a whim. I am trying to be a lot better, including sourcing new purchases from Vintage or Consignment shops (lessening the guilt, or is that just denial?). However, I do think it is ok to have a closet that looks like it belongs to a schizophrenic. After all, we don't wake up feeling the same way everyday. Our outfits should reflect our feelings or activities. And so far, with mine resembling Cinderella's days before the ball, I am often outfitted in my grubbiest sweats, the better to clean house with! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a walk-in closet! I feel better about the closet schizophrenia after reading this!

      Delete
  11. Veshoevius my dear, thank you for sending me your picture for the colorblocking post! I just love that jacket of yours, it is glorious, and was that a dress or a skirt and blouse? That pleated skirt was killing me it is so beautiful. I've had a thing for pleats lately! Thanks again. XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, it's a top, a skirt and a cardigan and a coat - I'm all over pleats too!

      Delete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...