Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Boathouse


If there is one thing I have certainly learnt over fifteen years of living in England, it is this - never pack your winter clothes away in the Spring!  Who turned off the sun?  If you weren't aware, the UK has been plunged back into wintry weather for almost a month now with grey cloudy days, chilly winds, heavy rain showers and even the odd hail storm.  There's no end in sight either.  Recent news reports have been proclaiming that May will be the coldest and wettest on record!

So much for Spring!  All those lovely pastels and florals I've bought recently in readiness for the greatly anticipated warmth of the new season sadly still await me, slowly gathering dust in my closet. I've been back in my winter wardrobe - coats, scarves, woolly tights, sheepskin hat, boots and all.  Hats off to all you diehards I see shivering on your way to work in your cotton trench coats, spring dresses, polyester thin pastels, bare legs and open toe sandals.  I salute your commitment to ringing in the change of seasons regardless (and secretly wonder if some of you English girls managing to bare flesh in these temperatures have heat conducting plasma running through your venous system instead of human blood).

For those like me who are finding the untimely return of Winter hard to stomach, here's some virtual sun instead! These were taken during the Australian summer (a real summer!) on our recent trip. This is also one of my favourite places, the foreshore in Perth near Matilda Bay. And as these were the last photos I downloaded onto blogger off my old computer before it got stolen please indulge me as I share the entire sequence with you!

Dress: Saloni; Sandals: Accessorize; Bag: Michael by Michael Kors

18 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear you. I've been here fifteen years now, as well, and this is the most miserable spring yet. I spend a lot of time marveling at the bare arms I keep seeing on the same streets where I'm also seeing parkas. How do they not freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire sequence was a treat. Beautiful summer photos and I love the ruffles on your white dress. The weather here is unusually warm for April; I have some of my winter hats in waiting if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are just so fierce! I wondered where they were taken...and I love the mane of curls being tossed by the wind! Here's hoping spring eventually arrives to stay in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ruffles, the waves and your magnificent curls - what a beautiful sequence! Hope you are warming up in the UK soon : >

    ReplyDelete
  5. O,how beautiful! Gorgeous shots,I'm glad you indulged us in the whole sequence!Your frock is heavenly!Ruffles!Perfectly glamourous for traipsing up and the down the boathouse catwalk!!!X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use a trip to that boathouse right about now! It was kind of warm here in NYC earlier this month but it's now cooler than normal and I'm glad because when summer hits it won't go away until October. So, if it is a little cooler for you, do you have any silk scarves you wear that you want to share with us? Adrienne and I are doing a Favorite Silk Scarf post next week. We'd love to have you join us once again. Adrienne is hosting but you can send me a picture and I will forward it to her. Tell Mr. V to get your picture with the iPhone again! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. And who turned on the rain? Thanks for the virtual sun. That is such a beautiful location, and you're very brave, walking the plank with your hair in your eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if I should envy you or pity you! Really neither, I know. The shots of you and the boathouse almost made me have vertigo but I love them! Your dress is great, with an ease that I admire.

    As someone who hates hot weather, though, I'm almost jealous of your cold weather relapse. However, I had a mini-version here and I'm quite fashion-schizophrenic as a result. This too shall pass, I know.

    Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photographs (and your dress... oh, that dress!) are absolutely STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this for real?? It's absolutely beautiful. I've also learned this lesson, and this April is absolutely dreadful - very little spring feeling. Here's to May! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I often want to ask some of those girls "you know that you're cold ... aren't you, aren't you?" I have decided that since I am fully aware that I get cold very easily - keeping my all weather wear within reach is probably best. These images are so stunning, I adore that dress as well. The setting. All of it. Enjoy your weekend!xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am more than happy to enjoy this entire set of pics because they are so precious, what a wonderful holiday you two had ... boo to those bloody thieves!! I noticed the other day it was 3-10 degrees in London - that's just insane!!! What the hell is going on? Yes, I recall there were always several women who would brave the cold and pretend it was summer ... then acquire the unfortunate "corn beef legs" look when they would turn blue from cold!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is gorgeous! And that boathouse reminded me 'The Summer Book' by Tove Jansson for some reason)) I know the pictures were taken in Australia, but that was my first thought when I saw it))

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are just gorgeous, Miss V! You were born to pose in the sunshine! I love that boat house and that beautiful frou frou sun dress on you. I can't believe how cold it is, I refuse to wear tights in May but it's killing me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear you about the weather - it is the same in Ireland. And i love that dress! Loving the place where you took the photos - beautiful and so tranquil.

    >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a picturesque boathouse on the water. And virtual sunshine is better than none. I know what you mean about the vacillating spring weather. I haven't put away my winter things yet for exactly that reason! - J xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...