Monday, 5 March 2012

Did You Katrantzou?


I certainly did!

After much earlier enthusiasm on my part over the runway trends for this last Autumn Winter, I have to say that nothing that the normally fashion savvy UK High Street offered all season translated into anything I actually wanted to buy.  And that was despite the sales reductions starting as early as September.  Everything seemed somewhat bland, expensive for what it was and the quality of many of my previous favourite high street labels had appeared to have taken a nosedive.

So after a whole winter of successfully avoiding getting anything from Topshop (well okay, apart from a pair of metallic wedge boots on sale - but that is an all time record for me), I must reluctantly take my hat off to Phillip Green and his commercial nous in securing a killer collaboration that is guaranteed to get the most hardened against the high street to part with their cash.

I am a big fan of Mary Katrantzou's work and she first came to my attention with her collection of Baroque prints in Winter 2009/2010.  I love her combined use of print and sculptural tailoring to create stand out garments.  She did collaborate with Topshop around that time on a small range of printed dresses and tees, but I felt the offerings were a little lacklustre against the full glory of the mainline collection.  Full price Katrantzou runway pieces however, will easily set you back anywhere from several hundreds to several thousands of pounds.  So seeing that her latest Topshop collaboration really did keep to the aesthetic spirit of the mainline collection got my fashion adrenaline pumping!  Here is what I picked up and apologies for the grainy photos which don't do the vibrancy of the prints any justice - still relying on Mr V's iPhone and very short windows of internet and iPhone time to get snaps taken and posted.

It actually took me a while to cotton on that there was a collaboration coming out due to my recent prolonged internet hiatus, but one look at the press pictures of the collection was enough to convince me to pop by Topshop's flagship store on Oxford Street on the release day.  Miraculously, there was still stock on the rails after everything had sold out online.  In fact, there were even a few of that lampshade skirt dress, photographed on many a minor celebrity of late and which everyone was trying to get their hands on.  However one look at the length of it and the hip enlarging bowl skirt was enough to make me steer clear.  With my pear shaped body and stumpy little legs I would have really looked ridiculous in it.  More squat, overturned Ming Dynasty fishbowl than lithesome beauty adorned in sculptural silk print making a witty reference to said treasure (see here for a great photo of how it should look by Sabine of Psynopsis).

However, the other print dress in the line had a longer, more forgiving hemline, with a less voluminous skirt.  Then there was the delicate, deliciously colourful Florentine print, given a modern twist with an asymmetric smattering of decoupage style images on the skirt of paste jewellery flowers and burnished metal bangles.  As strapless dresses with tulip skirts are right up my style alley this one was always going to come home with me.  In an interview Katrantzou has said that one woman bought one of her lampshade dresses to actually use as lampshade to adorn the interior of her house.  I can totally see why.  This dress looks fabulous just hanging up on my chest of drawers, it is that ornate!


The riot of colour in the Spring/Summer collections coming out now has really got me in the mood to indulge in some non-black Spring purchases.  I'd been toying with the idea of getting some bright floral print trousers, and when I saw these it was lurve.  These trousers are so bright and colourful they make me happy just looking at them!  The shade of blue reminds me of ceramic paint swirling delicately to form intricate flowers on fine bone china and I find the tailored shaped and cropped length very flattering.


And it would have been rude to leave this jovial tee shirt behind given that it is sporting exactly the same floral print as much pricier pieces in this season mainline collection.


Then this silk print tunic, the darling of all the fashion editors, came back in stock online a couple of weeks later - patience pays dividends.  I'm not game enough to work the clashing prints thing to wear it with floral leggings as sported by the model in Topshop's press pictures, but the bright print is great to update my stalwart uniform of Black Rats leggings with biker boots for Spring and break up my all black habit.


A whip round of the internet showed that there were a few mixed feelings about the price versus quality of the pieces, from the evangelically positive and smitten to the downright outraged about the prices.  I can honestly say that I am very impressed with the quality of the print and the vibrancy and detail that have come out on the pieces I got.  Good print is hard to do well and that is why, when it is done extremely well, you can expect to be charged the earth for it.

My only bugbear is possibly in the choices of fabric.  Surely they could have stretched to a decent cotton for the tee shirt and silk for the strapless dress and trousers rather than the polyester used, and the silk for the tunic could have been a little finer in texture.  But then not knowing very much about print processes I can only postulate that it may well have been those types of fabrics that took the dye better, or that the climbing price of raw materials is indeed impacting choices made by manufacturers.  But apart from that, I love these pieces and am looking forward to wearing them a lot over the coming months.

Perhaps I got a wee bit carried away.  In fact I could have probably bought some real Katrantzou for what I spent! But these days buying into the decent designer collaborations is a choice between paying retail or highly inflated Ebay prices to the Ebay sharks. What made these pieces worth paying for and keepers in my wardrobe is that, apart from the strapless dress which is crying out for a dressier occasion, they are clothes that fit easily into my lifestyle and I know I will get a lot of wear out of them.  I imagine a Katrantzou runway piece would have remained enshrined and untouched in the closet for fear of smutching it and clothes are meant to be worn, no matter how good an imitation of an expensive lampshade they are doing!  I've already been sporting the trousers with a white tee over the weekend and the tunic has been out to our local pub for lunch.

Did you get anything from the Mary Katrantzou for Topshop collection?

17 comments:

  1. Such beauties! I am thrilled for you with these additions--they are worth the effort of getting them. I'm also planning a MK splurge this year, although through her collaboration with Longchamp. I would love a top or dress someday, but until then, a bag will do nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess I've been following you from afar (you're in my phone favorites for when I get bored waiting in line at the store)) and I'm finally getting around to gushing over your blog! Your style is inspiring and your writing is entertaining; what more can you ask? Thanks for my vicarious trips to the U.K. and your closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I love that aspect about blogging - that you can be nosy about where people live and what they wear all over the globe! I must say that is a good idea of yours and the one reason I should upgrade my phone - to catch up on blogs in queues - you know the English for some reason love their queues! I feel like I spend my life in queues.

      Delete
  3. she also did some bags for longchamp too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just what my bank balance needs...

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous selection from the collection. These are very versatile and wearable pieces, and I agree that real Mary stuff may have stayed enshrined or somewhat untouchable.
    Sorry to hear about the still sketchy internet access x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say you scored really well with these! Fantastic prints, as expected from Karantzou, and you probably would have still looked smashing as a Ming fishbowl. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pieces are stunning! I love the colors and can see why they are now in your closet. Spring is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope that we get to see you in that dress and soon. It is beautiful. I'm admiring the tunic too, and I'll bet I get to see that on you FIRST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunic is getting lots of use but still no camera :(

      Delete
  8. They are fabulous and I can completely understand you getting carried away. Please wear them and show them off soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the vivid colors and prints. What a beautiful dress! Thank you for sharing the photos. That is as close as I will get to one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those pants. Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous buys!

    I think I missed the collection because my the time I got to London, there was none left in the Top Shops I visited.

    I did do well at Marni and H+M though.

    It's my last day here. Will hit Top Shop again...

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! That first dress is like a dream!

    http://www.RebequitasFashionBlog.BlogSpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. All these pieces are so divine! Beautiful.

    >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  14. These remind me of the loud clothes in the 60's, not sure if it's my thing.

    BTW following you on bloglovin
    pixics.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...