Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Buy Cape, Wear Cape, Work


Boy do I love me a cape.  Why don't more women wear capes to work?  Is it the fear of being compared to Sherlock Holmes?  Surely the Sherlock connection means that if there was anywhere you should wear a cape that place would be London.  I could think of worse things to be compared to frankly and besides, I hear clever is the new sexy thanks to the reinvention of Sherlock by Benedict Cumberlatch.  Apart from allowing you to cut a dramatic figure wherever you wear it, a sharply tailored cape is the perfect garment for a professional woman flying around trying to be Superwoman!  That's been me lately with a schedule going something like this: work, teach a class, rehearse, eat, sleep, wake up, repeat.  My feet have hardly hit the floor and I 've been out of blogland completely.

Where have the weeks gone?  I completely missed London Fashion Week this year as trying to fit in attending was unthinkable with a day job, performing in a flamenco show that same weekend and having to meet work deadlines.  I feel really behind the fashion curve at the moment as for the first time in years I have no idea what the next Autumn/Winter season holds.  It seems to be the way that when you are busiest and least need it life throws you a few curveballs to cope with - all at once!

Apart from dealing with the aftermath of being burgled and sorting out the insurance claim, since my last post the old computers which we revamped to reconnect for emergency internet access have been dying on us at a rate of knots.  So Mr V and I have been squabbling for time on the last one left standing.  Where I work there is strictly no access to social media or personal email accounts so my time on the internet has been sorely limited (strangely the flat is also now very tidy...).  I've also been working weekends as work has become quite demanding of late and if that wasn't enough, I've had to deal with a pressing health issue which meant a short turn in hospital - nothing serious but it does make you stand back and take a big gasp for air after trying to juggle everything and take it all in.  So I am all for a bit of superhero chic to bouy me up at the moment!

We currently don't have a single functioning camera in the Veshoevius household either as I dropped my small Canon Ixus on holiday in Australia whereupon it stopped working and Mr V's got stolen.  So I've not had the chance to blog my winter wardrobe and it seems (fingers crossed) that winter is nearly over.  You haven't missed much - we had a horrible long cold snap in London and I wore black wool, black shearling and more black shearling on top - for days on end!  I looked like a walking animal hide.  I even gave in and bought black shearling Ugg boots and one of those horrible shearling trapper hats!

But more recently it's been very mild and we've even had some glorious sunny days.  The top photo was taken of me on one such day by Mr V on his iPhone when we met for a crafty Friday lunch in a City gastropub.  I must say I don't get on with Apple products in general but the quality of the photos the iPhone camera takes are really impressive.  Compare to one taken on my work Blackberry post intensive work with Photoshop:


Rubbish really.  Doesn't do this cape justice at all.  The dramatic collar, the smart leather trim, the glossy satin lining in a diagonal navy stripe - it all gets a bit lost in pixelated glumness.

I admit cape wearing is not without it's challenges.  They are not great cover ups when it is very cold as their billowing shape allows the cold air to roll up and hit you when walking.  Best avoided when windy!  The ideal times to wear one are during those trans-seasonal periods when temperatures are milder, such as early Autumn, or around now, when the long awaited thaw-out from Winter is giving way to early Spring.

Other cape related conundrums are how to carry a handbag and what to do with your arms.  The bag can't go over your shoulder as you ruin the line of the cape by rucking it up under the handle, so carrying your bag in the crook of one arm is the only way to go.  Whilst this does look very ladylike, it means that if you're like me and carry your life around in your handbag, you can expect a very sore arm by the end of the day.  The ideal bag to accompany a cape would be one of those elegant large envelope clutches, but just try fitting your life into one of those without causing it to bulge unattractively!

This cape unfortunately doesn't have pockets to jam one's inactive hand into, resulting in my free arm veering between flailing around aimlessly and self consciously crossing over to drape over the other arm.  Despite these drawbacks, capes are fun, not least because they force you to up your game and be a bit dressier.  I found I had to go for a lacy tight and a smart lace up patent shoe boot to finish the look.


Very pleased too that I waited to get this beauty on sale, as I'm sure with the morning chill set to continue for a good couple of months there will be plenty of occasions to whip it out.  Oh yes, still managed to get some online shopping done despite all the internet challenges - I mean come on, how could I resist? They are having final reductions! Priorities ladies, priorities!

Cape: Sportmax; Tights: Wolford; Bag: Michael by Michael Kors; Shoes: D&G

23 comments:

  1. Love the cape, so grown up and classy!

    Also, I just thought I'd let you know I'm giving away a Clarisonic Mia on my blog! I'd love it if you could check it out on my blog. You can gain up to 10 entries! Here’s a link xx
    http://daisy--meadow.blogspot.com/2012/02/giveaway-clarisonic-mia.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of capes, and do love them dearly. I even dressed up as Sherlock Holmes in my cape a while back to go to a Victorian Christmas fair, photos on my blog. I totally hear what your saying about the bag conundrum though, always puzzling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't I get invitations to parties where I can dress up as Sherlock damn it??

      Delete
  3. I'm glad for your update! Also I love your cape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cape is bloody gorgeous! I love them too, but don't wear mine as often as I'd like because it makes it tricky to wear a shoulder bag x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful cape! I love capes, though don't own one (still on the lookout). The closest thing I have are ponchos -- and they exhibit the same difficulties with purses and cold air that you've listed here! Interestingly, I had the guilty pleasure of watching the new Sherlock Holmes from PBS on their website (since we don't have a TV) and thoroughly enjoyed this new incarnation of Holmes in the 21st Century, smart phones and all! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series isn't it? Mr V and I also watched it online as we don't have a TV either. I love that Watson's column in newspaper from the Conan Doyle original has become a blog in the 21st Century!

      Delete
  6. The cape will probably last you a long time. I believe Sportmax is under the Max Mara umbrella--and I have the vague notion that they are known for their outerwear. I hope everything starts looking up for you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed part of the Max Mara group and their coats are awesome. I have three now and a couple of jackets and they last and stay looking chic for years.

      Delete
  7. I think my large drapey cardigans are basically capes. Capes with sleeves. Very practical. I love yours -- looks way too warm for here though. It's ice cream and sandals weather in Charlotte already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cape is quite divine! I love them too but the bag thing really bugs me, so I rarely well mine. (MY fave one is faux leopard fur and has a hood!) So sorry to hear you were burgled - how AWFUL!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your cape - and your deconstruction of their pros and cons is right on, V! I also adore Benedict C., and we are not getting any new episodes over here yet : < It's wonderful to have you back online!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So jealous that it's cold enough out there to wear capes! :). I think they are absolutely fabulous faboulus and can take your entire outfit up another level. Don't worry, you aren't the only one out of the fashion loop. Pressing family issues and a busy work life I haven't kept up with anything NYFW related and completely missed the IFB Conference livestream. But hey, such is life. Gotta roll with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore that cape, I love wearing mine, that's about the only thing I miss about the weather becoming more spring-like.
    I love that picture of you striding purposefully towards the pub.
    Hope you're over your health scare and you manage to get a rest soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love this post and that picture, the last one, of the cape, your hot legs in those glorious tights, and the high heels? I just love it. I feel like I'm looking at a still from a movie. I've missed you! How are you? I hope you are not having anymore health issues. And I'm going to have to get a cape now because between this post and the white Tom Ford cape that Gwyneth Paltrow wore to the Oscars last weekend (did you see it?), the cape is THE thing. XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see you back to blogging and have missed you! Sorry to hear of your health, camera and computer problems and hope for all issues to be resolved soon. Your cape is stunning and I adore the lace tights. I am a 'cape lover' and have an extensive collection from maxi to capelet. Despite the 'cons' nothing can replace the delicious feeling of being wrapped in folds of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cape is simply gorgeous! I'm obsessed with grey coats and capes, especially the ones with big collars. This one is just perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful cape! I can just see you swishing elegantly (and intelligently!) through London. My only problem with capes is how to wear the bag with it - underneath? on top?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a beautiful cape. The first photo is most mysterious. Hope the pace of days and events begins to calm down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Veshoevius, I must have completely missed out on those awful events when I was in a thesis haze, I am so sorry to hear about it and also, I don't know if you remember, that happened us in August in Paris, so I totally understand what it feels like - so frustrating and annoying!
    A more positive note, you look lovely in that wicked cape! Yes, loving the influence of the new Sherlock Holmes and all that means for capes!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! The cape is a perfection! I think capes are very feminine. They add some mystic.
    I know only one person who wears capes and she looks amazing every single time. It makes me want to wear one but I think I'm not gracious enough to pull it.
    And talking about Sherlock Holmes. I think it's one of the best TV shows at the moment hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing cape that is. I love the clean lines and the practical hue with the dreamy shape. Yes. A beaute of a thing, and you are Superwoman.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore the look of capes, but I have the same reservations that you do - billowing cold air.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...