Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Ironing Day


I loathe ironing. With a passion!  The importance of ironing was however, drummed into me from a young age by an equally passionate ambassador - my Home Economics teacher Mrs K.

Mrs K had an unparalleled ability to make her own clothes. She had an immense and covetable wardrobe, all made by her own hand and was always immaculately turned out. If my Mum started me off by developing my interest as a girl in clothes into an fledgling ability to sew, Mrs K formed me into a consummate professional by the time I finished three years in high school under her tutelage.

If there is one thing Mrs K drilled her students in, it was that pressing a garment, from its seams to the main body of the finished product, was essential to producing a professional finish.  And that goes for all clothes.  I read somewhere once that the sartorial polish that Frenchwomen seem to ooze in spades is down to an appreciation of this fact, with the claim (unsubstantiated) that they were fastidious about ironing, even extending ironing to their hosiery.

Recently my old ironing board broke leaving me with the ensuing chaos of trying to prepare outfits for work with no capacity to get rid of the creases that come with cramming things into an overstuffed wardrobe.  It was quite a hideous ironing board with inadequate padding, which meant I would always end up putting those horrible ironing marks on my clothes. On its demise I decided that if you are going to invest in nice clothes that you want to wear for years to come then it is worth investing in the right tools to care for them.

So I coughed up for a good brand and got an aesthetically pleasing one to boot.  Anything that helps me get in the mood and make ironing more of a pleasure than a dreary chore, whilst avoiding those dreaded over pressing marks on my clothes is, in my book, a good buy.  In contrast to the sinking feeling I would get when seeing my old ironing board, now at least I am cheered to see this one greet me in the morning.  I feel like I'm looking at a work of art or funky surfboard seeing this propped against my white wall.  In fact so aspiring to art is this ironing board that the manufacturers gave it a title.  Yes, this ironing board is called "Breakfast"! 

I was quite drawn by the monochrome breakfast inspired print, in part because I'd like to be able to say that my morning involves this kind of clean and sparse image of calm preparation for the day ahead.  A glistening cup of coffee, keys and mobile at the ready, a crisp folded paper for casual perusal over breakfast, a svelte Macbook to catch up on a few blogs before I head out to work.  Totally aspirational!

I wonder what a print of my usual chaos would look like?  That is the usual swearing and upturning everything to find lost keys and misplaced mobile, trying to swallow down a hasty breakfast after spilling the coffee and leaving late and the dishes undone because I really shouldn't have read and commented on those last few blog posts on my Google reader.  Ah well, I now have an ironing board to remind me tomorrow is another day...

Ironing Board: Brabantia

22 comments:

  1. I don't mind ironing, I do it while watching the telly. I only iron things if i absolutely have to though. and our ironing board is terrible. It's really thing covering, and wonky. Maybe i should invest in a nice one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hate ironing and rarely bother. When Mr TNMA moved in with me he couldn't believe I didn't have an ironing board. We now have a Brabantia - though the cover is not as pretty as yours, can you buy them separately? - which is covered in piles of book & magazines, I use it as an extra surface in my office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my friends who hate to iron just use Frebreeze Wrinkle Release. Lazy bones, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I despise all chores, but at least I can watch a film while I do the ironing. We are probably due for an upgrade, a curse on all thin padding! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have known you'd have the most stylish ironing board on the planet. That's a beauty. I really need a replacement, mine's ancient and appalling.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funky ironing board! You should invite me over... I love ironing. It's the perfect TV activity and I find the smooth results very satisfiying (yeap, OCD, virgo... I'm it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I kind of like ironing, I find it cathartic. Second of all, did I read you right on my blog? Did you buy Prada lace from 2008? What? Did I miss this? Where did you get it and when will you show it again if I missed it the first time? I completely agree with you, lace has been everywhere since that collection came out. I wish I owned some of that Prada lace, or Prada plaid from last year. Just gorgeous! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny, this ironing for me it's like a chore to iron my own clothing, (probably why I dry clean some of my garments), yet if I'm making something for a client I make certain that it's ironed in such a pristine way ... go figure! However, that ironing board of yours is so fashionable, it may get me into ironing after all!
    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Odio planchar y plancho muy poco porque mi marido se plancha su ropa, así es que sale muy poquito la plancha.
    Besossssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  10. Between your Prada lace and your story about Christian Lacroix, sequins and a gay nightclub, I can't wait to read/see both of these posts! Please please do them for me! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love crisp pressed blouses...but I so understand not liking to iron. I save all of mine up and do it quarterly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pics!!!i'm following you!!!if you like mine, do the same!!
    WWW.ZAGUFASHION.COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice, a post about ironing..for me very important when it comes to clothes!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. With an ironing board as stylish as this, I might just take to pressing my clothes too! Wonderful choice. Actually, I despise ironing so much that I bought myself a professional steamer. It's so much easier, but it doesn't produce crisp edges the way pressing would. Have fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate ironing too!!!!! But my mum made it clear to me that clothes shouldn't have any wrinkle, so I always feel shabby when I wear something that I haven't ironed

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really a designer ironing board - I've never seen one looking so chic! I like ironing shirts - so it's a good thing because I have 3 men in my family and when it's my turn to iron their shirts (they usually iron them themselves but I always step in when they need help during rush hour) I enjoy doing it and finding new ways of ironing shirts quickly. I however hate ironing trousers.... !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ironing board as inspiration! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gah I hate ironing so much that with difficult things I would rather have them dry cleaned, terrible I know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this ironing board is fantastic...I detest doing it too. I actually burned myself too many times to count while ironing so that may have something to do with it. We don't actually have room for a real ironing board in my apt so I have the one that I had in college and I put it on the table to iron (when I actually do need to iron something). If I had the space I'd get a real one and I'd also get a steamer...that I can deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I loathe those ironing board marks too! And yes, seam pressing was absolutely drummed into me during my sewing tutelage years. I've tried skimping and the results have been disastrous!!! So it's back to the ironing board. Ha! Aren't I hilarious? xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Home Economics" in school!?! Sounds so "yesterday". I think Germany abolished that in the 1970s...

    I feel quite neutral about all household-dutys. I accept their existence and just do them. I guess this neutrality derives from the fact that nobody ever taught me anything about them and I had to teach myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. fantastical ironing board!! i love ironing and was brow-beaten on the ironing imperative by my own junior high school sewing teacher. I thank her to this day!

    I could use a sleeve ironing board....yes i am that into it. Mine always looks like a hurricane hit it, as i cover it in fluffy terrycloth towels to avoid ironing board marks and preserve the depth of pintucks, embroidery, and so on.

    Happy fantasizing with your wonderful board!!! steph

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...