Friday, 18 November 2011

Friend Friday: Saying Thank You

This Friend Friday we are being asked as part of the tradition of Thanksgiving to reflect on the things we are most thankful for right now.  Although Thanksgiving is not a tradition in Europe I feel that particularly now, in such uncertain and turbulent times, joining our American friends to pause and reflect on all that we do have as opposed to what we don't, can help put the trials and tribulations in our lives into perspective.

An email in my inbox last night made me reflect on what it means to say thank you and inspired me to stay up late and write this post.  We spend so much of our lives churning through our daily routines without giving much thought about what we have, who we are doing things for and who in turn may be doing things for us.  When someone thanks us it suddenly makes us feel like all our efforts are all worthwhile.  It also reminds us that the act of saying thank you ourselves can make someone's day.

I know from my own experience that no matter how little I am paid to perform as a dancer, if just one person approaches me after a show and tells me "thank you" then for me, that is enough.  It has been worth it.  I get a warm feeling inside my chest that radiates out and I am happy that I have managed to give someone an experience that they have enjoyed.  Feeling appreciated is a reward unto itself.  Last night I got that warm fuzzy feeling when I read a lovely thank you note from a reader who wrote (abridged):
"Thank you for sharing your love of fashion, alongside your thoughtful prose, on your blog. It has restored my courage to make more daring sartorial choices....You've shown that you can love clothes without losing passion for more intellectually-rigorous pursuits. Thank for your blog and thank you for taking the time to read this!"
She also shared with me the delicious details of a new and much loved designer purchase.  I was deeply touched! As any blogger knows, blogging is actually pretty hard work and very time consuming, and suddenly this made all the hard graft that I put into keeping my little blog going seem worth it.   Being thanked and the way it made me feel made me decide to spread the love and say thank you for the things I hold dear.   Doing this also makes you realise that these are the things that are most important to you.  So here are mine:

I am thankful for the big love of my life - the loving, supportive, patient, big hearted and kind soul that he is, (not to mention very handsome and a fantastic photographer) my dearest Mr V!


I am eternally thankful that I was born into a large and loving family and to a pair of the most wonderful, unconditionally loving parents who instilled strong values, the importance of getting a good education and a strong work ethic into all their children.


I am thankful for having a creative streak and openness to experience other cultures that led me to discover and experience the magic of flamenco as an art form.  I am thankful for having a love of the arts as well as the sciences and I am thankful for having an eye for and an appreciation of the beautiful things in this world.  I am thankful for my physical health and for being given a strong healthy body that is able to do all the things it can.


And I am extremely thankful for my job and an education that will always mean I am employable.  I have spent enough time in and out of employment as a free lance worker during this long and seemingly never ending recession to know that I hate being out of work and, to be very grateful that in the current climate I have a good job when all about me are losing theirs.  I am a workaholic by nature and working is something that gives me things that are very important to me: intellectual stimulation, dignity and financial independence.


I am thankful for wonderful friends, new and old...


... here and abroad....


...online and off! I would also like to extend a big, big, heartfelt thank you this Thanksgiving to everyone visiting and reading this blog, for those who comment, for those who just lurk, and to all my blogging friends for tirelessly posting their nuggets of inspiration for my daily consumption, making the blogosphere such a wonderful hub for creativity and joy to be a part of.

10 comments:

  1. What can I say, I'm almost out of words reading your post, you've put so much though and love into it! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous and uplifting post, V! Thank YOU for sharing your life, and your wonderful photos, and positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. V I love this!! You are so right. It's very easy to get caught up in the day to day that we don't realize the abundance around us! I am thankful that we've become online friends! Your posts are always so thoughtful and well written and as a fellow writer I always appreciate that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Miss V! What a lovely, heart warming post, it brought a bit of a tear to my eye.
    You are a huge inspiration and your passion for life makes you a joy to visit. Have a wonderful weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to you too.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the most inspiring and beautiful posts I've read in a long time! Many thanks, V! I agree with your sweet reader--you consistently remind us that a love for fashion and textiles is not alien to an intellectual, vibrant mind. PLUS you're an artist, which I adore seeing expressed on these pages.

    Here's another way you inspire me: I'm thinking that next holiday season, maybe I should go to a Mediterranean beach town in Spain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never celebrated Thanksgiving, but your post is a great reminder to meditate on the things in life we're grateful for... It's easy to forget about this in the daily grind. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, Ms. V., your love of life and all it has to offer, and your genuine appreciation for all that you enjoy shines throughout your blog. It's the best part of your writing and the reason i love the time i spend here.

    Thank YOU!!!! steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post, and thank you for your blog. You inspire me to be myself - an intelligent woman that is over 40 and loves to dress with an edge!

    - Tessa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...