Monday, 31 October 2011

The Witching Hour


Despite having a wardrobe brimming with so much black as to make Morticia turn in her grave with envy I have to say I'm a bit of a Halloween bore.  Apart from the odd bit of pumpkin carving around Halloween we don't really celebrate.  Not much to carve this year either when this is all that is on offer from the weekly organic veggie box...


Round the 'hood however it's been Halloween galore with plenty of costume themed parties being held over the weekend.   There were numerous ghouls, spirits and spectres with convincingly deathly pallors seen walking down my high street wearing all manner of elaborate get ups, and strangely, I'm not talking about the hoodies, drug dealers and crack cocaine addicts you find round these parts on a Saturday night.

Full marks for creativity to those partying youngsters I saw out and about - I saw some fabulous costumes: an elf with a garland of flowers in her long blonde tresses wearing a green gown, a chap in a skeleton jumpsuit, a long haired, white faced fellow resplendent in tailcoats and black top hat about to get off a bus, and an angel in a white puffy meringue satin ball dress. 


Tonight it was the kids turn and tiny monsters, ghouls, demons and witches, high on sugar consumption, were out in force on my street trick or treating with weary parents in tow. Around this time every year I have a bit of bah humbug moment when I realise that I have an empty cookie jar at home which has been empty for some time, and that I have no hope of offering anything but a few withered spring onions kicking around the back of the fridge and a tiny uncarved pumpkin to those who come knocking.  Pretty lame really.  That's when I turn off all the lights and flee leaving the house in darkness to have dinner away from home at the local pub with Mr V until it's all over.


I thought I'd use the evening outing as an excuse to play Morticia and chose a bit of a Salem's Lot type coat to top it all off.  And on the topic of all things Morticia I've noticed traffic is hitting my blog from, of all things, a Goth social media site!  I'm not quite sure what to think!  Whatever you get up to - Happy Halloween all!


Lace biker jacket: Christopher Kane; Dress: Topshop Boutique; Sheer silk top underneath dress: Cos; Coat: Sportmax; Boots: Alexander McQueen; Necklace: Merle O'Grady; Belt: Vintage

15 comments:

  1. Morticia would certainly be envious of that coat! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look! You can be Morticia for Halloween but I think this is totally something that you could wear out on any night as well :) Just found your blog but am looking forward to looking through it - and your McQueen boots are TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend did her taxes in the dark last night as she had no sweets in, so I get what you mean. I ADORE the lace biker! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one fine witchy outfit! I love those boots and the collar of your jacket.
    Your fridge sounds rather like ours. We did have sweets in the house last night but Jon preferred to hide in the dark ignoring the Trick or Treaters and keeping his precious Haribo Golden Bears to himself. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Halloween outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't celebrate much either, don't even know why.
    This all-black look is gorgeous. Love the dramatic coat, so beautiful. And those McQueen boots are really to die for <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny, I actually dressed as Morticia a few years back, wish I would've had your outfit though
    BerryHaute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that coat! You wear that color so well.
    I actually love celebrating Halloween but this year it was pretty low key. But I did have fun handing out candy and seeing all the children dressed up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christopher Kane, Sportmax, Cos, Alexander Mcqueen.Best black ensemble ever. Be still my beating heart. We cant be friends any more cause Im too jealous. That coat is beyond fabulous.(she sniffs grudgingly...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, esp. the shoes! Sadly Halloween is a dying celebration for kids in America. It's more something 20 and 30 somethings celebrate at bars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dress, jacket, and those boots! You are a vision!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Christopher Kane lace jacket is sublime!

    I missed Halloween this year. Didn't know about it--not that knowing about it would make a difference since MP and I aren't ones to dress up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. McQueen boots! McQueen boots! McQueen boots! Rrrr...love!
    Halloween is still a mystery to me, growing up we didn't have it and now it feels lame to just adopt something that doesn't come naturally. OK, maybe it's just me. :) But, hey, I love Morticia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite stylish witch, and goodness those boots with the heels are beautiful. the seaming & fullness in the coat is still making me smile.- phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice.. but for a second I thought it was me!! LOL black black and more black.. I wish Halloween was every day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...