Sunday, 30 October 2011

Kew Gardens


Autumn in is full swing here in London with chilly mornings, cloudy skies and strong winds blowing outside at night. The heating is back on and I'm whipping out my coats to go out. But it was a different story at the beginning of October.  Believe it or not these photos of me wearing a spaghetti strap sun dress were taken on the first Sunday of October when the UK was treated to some freakishly hot weather and the mercury hit a staggering 29 degrees!  However my reports of the "heat wave" caused great amusement to my family back in Oz where hot means temperatures  in excess of 35 degrees.

Here though such weather in October is virtually unheard of.  It was so freakish that Spring flowers such as these crocuses were out in bloom again.


Following a botanist's recommendation via the BBC, Mr V and I took a trip to Kew Gardens that record breaking weekend to see firsthand the effect of the Indian summer on plant life.  In addition to seeing crocuses so late in the year, it felt very odd to be walking through an autumnal scene with a light summer dress and sandals on, with the foliage of the trees turning colour to burnt orange, bright red and pale gold...


...with autumn leaves already covering the ground, the dry shells of fallen acorns, pine cones and chestnuts crunching underfoot...


...bright red holly berries hanging from boughs to remind us that Christmas was encroaching even though we felt it was too hot for our jackets...


...and seeing mushrooms and species of fungus sprouting from the earth and at the foot of trees despite the air feeling hot and dry.


Wearing sandals to beat the heat turned out to be poor choice of footwear to go marching across the forest floor in.  I actually sustained several painful puncture wounds from standing on one too many spiny chestnut shells to get these photos!  And I actually had a pretty bad attack of hay fever from all the pollen in the air from the confused trees that were back in bloom.

It's been years since I've been to Kew Gardens and it is such a stunning place to spend a day if you like nature, gardens and plants.  There were beautiful peaceful lakeside scenes like this one to take in.


There are several magnificent glass greenhouses around the grounds housing all manner of plant species in architecture styles spanning several centuries from the Victorian to the modern.

 
My favourite greenhouse is the one with the giant water lilies.  The giant lily pads floating atop the surface of the water with their magnificent blooms opening up above them never fail to fascinate me.


And I especially love the elegant architecture of the Victorian glasshouses, their multifaceted structures and crystalline windows catch the light beautifully as the sun starts to go down in the late afternoon.


My dress is about seven or eight years old.  It was the striking print that sold me.  I like that it is a kind of geometric and botanical hybrid that your imagination can twist into many familiar shapes.  Is it fans? Exotic lilies? Palm leaves? The gills on the underside of mushrooms?


So I thought it an appropriate choice for an outing to a botanical garden. I chose some zany earrings to match the print.


The pearl trim crop sleeve cardigan  was a vintage find years ago during my student days trawling Portobello Market, days when you could still actually find bargain vintage clothing at the place! The antique marcasite frog brooch with ruby red eyes was bought in Barts Bazaar in Bath. It was one of two, this frog and a smaller one, which I gave to my little sister for Christmas.


To anyone who has not yet been to Kew Garden's I highly recommend a visit.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day out there and it was a reminder that having such a wonderful place right here in London warrants another visit soon to see how it changes with the seasons.

Silk print dress: Karen Millen; Cropped red cardigan: Vintage; Marcasite Frog brooch: Vintage; Earrings, Warehouse; Jewelled Sandals: Zara; Bag: Michael Kors; Beige Leather jacket: Bershka

11 comments:

  1. Wow how beautiful! I have to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos. I must get to Kew Gardens (well, first to the U.K.) : > Your dress and sweater are so lovely on a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preciosas fotos, pero parecen más de España que de Londres por el solecito.
    Besos, guapa y artista.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. The print on that dress is quite spectacular and I'm loving the zany earrings and frog brooch, too.
    Kew looks wonderful, we have the Botanical Gardens in Birmingham and often used to have our work Xmas do's there. It was very odd sitting under an exotic palm tree in the hot house dressed in sequins. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd really love to go again. Haven't been in years and don't remember too much. I do miss those warm days but I'm glad we got a second summer. Also glad it's still not too cold considering it's already Nov. Love the dress and all the lily pads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had an amazing time!

    Also that the earth is really confused :\

    ReplyDelete
  7. your photos are lovely. the gardens and the autumn light...
    pretty dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the beautiful tour of Kew Gardens and every detail of your outfit suited the stunning surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've been to Kew Gardens in a very long time, I will definitely need to go back on my next work trip back to London. Beautiful photos, and I'm loving your frog brooch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kew Garden is such a beautiful place, I haven't been for a while... and although the sandal wearing probably wasn't the best choice for the day it's wonderful to be able to wear sandals at this time of the year, isn't it?
    Your Halloween outfit I'd wear ANY day. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your little dress! makes me miss summer already.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...