Saturday, 1 October 2011

Frock on Friday: Rose Print Cheongsam


Several of my favourite bloggers participate in a "Frock on Friday" outfit post challenge every Friday. The principle is simple - it's Friday, so wear a frock!  See here for some inspirational examples from Desiree of Pull Your Socks Up and the frocktastic Vintage Vix.

This is my first ever Frock on Friday post.  Though I have, in the spirit of the challenge, been making more effort to wear a dress on Fridays, I've never had the time to take a photo or blog about it until today.  After the coldest, wettest summer in twenty years the UK has been enjoying unseasonably warm weather this week and I've actually worn a dress every day of this week to take advantage of the last days of a surprise Indian summer.

This rose print cheongsam was actually a gift from Mr V and it's been in my wardrobe going on ten years.  It was given to me around about the time the sublime film "In the Mood for Love" by Wong Kar Wai came out in cinemas.  Who didn't swoon over Maggie Cheung's wardrobe of more than twenty, exquisitely tailored cheongsams in one gorgeous print after another?  So you can imagine how delighted I was to receive this dress and I still love it to this day.  Let it be said that Mr V is great at picking presents!

This is definitely a Friday only dress and here is me attempting that office wear minefield, the boardroom to bar outfit (albeit, kind of backwards).


There is an informal dress down policy at work on Friday and as the ladies use this as an excuse to dress up for after work drinks, the office is full of frocks aplenty.  While I do love a shift dress in a bold print with a smart jacket for work, I still think the lace trim and cutaway sleeves on this dress make it more of a cocktail dress and to me it shows a bit too much skin to be suitable for an office.  But what's a gal to do when the sun is shining and calling to you to wear your favourite frock?


I never want to come across as unprofessional but I conceded that this is probably the last week ever in which to wear a nice summer weight dress and caved in.  So I took several measures to tone it down for work.  Firstly I wore it with flats and threw a sharp blazer over it.  Secondly, though I haven't shown it in these photos (as strangely it's too hot!), to keep things covered up even more, as well as keep me protected from the rampant air conditioning in the office, I also wore a cropped, long sleeved, fine knit, grey cardigan and opaque tights all day.  I swear I looked positively dowdy!  However after office hours, taking the tights and cardigan off and adding heels completely changes the look.  Ready for martinis!


Thankfully I also managed to sneak out for a lunch in the sun with a friend and got the shoulders out for a last bit of UV exposure.  It's a tall ask but long may this Indian summer continue!

As you can see I have a camera cable again.  So holiday snaps up soon!

Lace rose print cheongsam: Karen Millen; Patent Mary Janes, Pedro Garcia; Bracelet: Random Spanish shop; Blazer: Zara; Ponyskin ballet flats: Dune

17 comments:

  1. Mr. V did good, that dress is FABULOUS on you! Reminds me of McQueen--but cheongsams are beautiful regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza, definitely like the dress better with the high-heeled Mary Janes. Smokin' hot! I like the jacket as well, it's a good reminder that I need a new one. It's been warm and muggy here as well, but I'm tired of it. Not ready for winter, not at all, but at least cooler temperatures. Can't wait to see your holiday pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very pretty dress, so glad you had a chance to wear and share it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your high heels! They are perfection! The dress still looks so fresh, a real classic, well done him. My husband loves that film, I must watch it as he bought the DVD. Hope all well with you and thanks for your kind message of recent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my dear-the dress is a true style classic and perfect for day to night-the heels are just lovely too! Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Qué bien te queda ese vestido con tus preciosas piernas bien torneadas y morenitas, GUAPA.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's GORGEOUS and I think totally appropriate for work with the jacket... and fabulous for cocktails without the jacket!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress I love the collar with the lace cutaway down the front. I think it works for office wear, of course I have never worked in a formal office environment so what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a magnificent piece. I adore the thought of an office of women dressing up in frocks for after-work hours. It sounds decidedly festive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The frock is gorgeous on you and love your creativity in taking it from the office to cocktails. Perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're finally getting the weather you should have had all summer long. This dress is dynamite, especially the detailing on the hem. I love how you've made it work appropriate, though I really can't imagine the tights with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful dress! And with weather like this no tights needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dress!! Glad to hear te weather's still good in the UK. Tights and a blazer are my go-to for making a less work appropriate dress a little more appropriate! I just don't go out enough to get enough wear from some - so long to wear them! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr V is the master of finding a fabulous frock! that dress is beautiful, I love it with the severe blazer. Your legs are just fantastic, I bet you caused a right distraction braving those gorgeously toned pins. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. And a smart blazer with flats can work wonders xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr V has a good taste! The dress is perfectly chic but also in a way modest. At least for me it looks like that. :) I also love the monochromity of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress is so beautiful <3 Love the lace, love the pattern, love everything.
    I usually make my not really work appropriate dresses more wearable with cardigans or jackets and belts (it's actually pretty stupid - a good half of my co-workers are wearing t-shirts and shorts on a daily bases, and I'm obsessing over some dresses))). But yours looks pretty descent to me (though I haven't worked in a strict dress-code inviroinment for a while now).
    Still - it's beautiful and suits you so much <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...