Saturday, 3 September 2011

Friend Friday: Fall Trends

This Friend Friday is about Fall trends. We have been asked to name our five favorite fall trends and how we plan to wear them this season.  To see what other Friend Friday participants will be wearing this Autumn head over to Modly Chic and drop Katy a line if you want to join in the fun.

Mui Mui - Source Style.com

The great thing about this Autumn is that there are so many trends on offer, so there really is something for everyone and plenty to keep the fashionably adventurous very busy indeed!  I was also very happy to see high fashion looks and truly beautiful clothes that wouldn't look out of place on a grown woman for a change.  Hallelujah!

Marc Jacobs - Source Style.com

A cross sectional analysis of the trends according to my runway preview editions of Elle, Harper's Bazaar and Vogue showed at least fourteen different trends identified between them.  For anyone hankering for vintage inspiration from the past you are spoilt for choice as this season the forties, sixties, seventies, eighties and even nineties all got a look in.

Mui Mui - Source Style.com

What I found really interesting this season was how the lines between several trends blurred and merged.  The craze for colours and prints and sequins were worked into the forties and seventies trend.  Elsewhere shimmering sequins were combined with a new found fascination with stars, polka dots and floral motifs, or alternatively polka dots, florals and starry prints were fashioned into seventies style maxi dresses.

Fur returned in Arctic white, burgundy and teal adorning forties tea dresses and slick seventies outfits.  It was combined with optic shock prints, or with Navajo fringed boots, or used in glossy black to adorn the fetishist pieces.

Gucci - Source Style.com

There are plenty of looks you could work without buying new, as many of these trends are rehashing those of previous years under the guise of new names.  Plunder your closet - there is sure to be something that fits the bill!  It was really hard to whittle down five favourites out of a whole lot of trends that I am really excited about but here goes - my visual wish list and dream wardrobe for Autumn Winter 2011:

1) Fetish

Louis Vuitton - Source Style.com

Don't be put off by the S&M and Little Miss Whiplash connotations.  If you peel back the label a bit and scratch the surface a little, this scary sounding trend is really just a reworking of the black, lace, leather, sheer and Gothic trends of seasons recently gone by.  Harper's Bazaar goes so far as to give the game away by shying away from the term fetish altogether and labelling this trend "High Gothic" instead.

Louis Vuitton - Source Style.com

 I for one couldn't be more excited because this sort of dark dressing is right up my alley and my Autumn wardrobe is stuffed full of things that will tick all the boxes all the way through to Winter.

Louis Vuitton - Source Style.com

I'll be pulling out my leather dresses for this one, mixing in layers of sheer black and adding fierce boots and studded leather driving gloves.  And I have plenty of black lace that could be worked into achieving an outfit worthy of that exalted sounding state of "High Gothic"!

2) Colour and Print

Marc Jacobs - Source Style.com

There are some great trends within this trend. I'm particularly excited about the return of burgundy and wine colours as I love them and they have been hard to get hold of for several years. I hate the rather uncouth term "boozy" shades which much of the fash pack seem to have daubed them. Much prefer Vogue's classier version of "garnet" under the "jewel tones" trend file. Don't know about you but I prefer to think of dressing as a gem or a fine wine than a bottle of booze. Maybe it's a generational thing...

Marc Jacobs - Source Style.com

Every stylish woman knows that it is worth having some clothing in the colour that flatters you all year round whatever happens to be in fashion.  So when a colour you love and which suits you comes back round into season stock up! Because when the trend fades you never know how long it will be before you can get good pieces made in it again. I have a little tawny port dress arriving soon from ASOS which ticks the burgundy and forties (or seventies depending on which way you look at it) boxes at the same time!

In fact many of the jewel tones suit my skin tone so if budget allows I may extend to emerald, sapphire and ruby red as well!

Dolce and Gabbana - Source Style.com

There are also some great prints and patterns this season.  Polka dots à la Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney, decorative à la Mary Katranzou, stars à la Dolce and Gabbana and winter florals à la Paul Smith.

Mary Katrantzou - Source Style.com
Paul Smith - Source Style.com
I managed to get some  floral embroidered leather and wool pieces from the last Christopher Kane Autumn/Winter collection heavily discounted in last winter's sales and at a sample sale.  So I've sorted out winter florals and fetish at the same time.  And it's in my job description as a flamenco dancer to wear polka dots!

3) Past Eras - Forties and Seventies

I really couldn't choose between these eras as I love them both!

Mui Mui - Source Style.com

I absolutely love the Mui Mui collection of forties style tea dresses with sequin embellishment and banana heeled shoes. The high street is already producing copies. Count me in!

Mui Mui - Source Style.com

The seventies comes around very often, the maxi dresses, the pussy bow blouses, the wide legged trousers and jeans and the floppy wide brimmed hats.  This season's interpretation has forgone the ethereal hippy dippy aspect of the era and instead really focused on rekindling the smouldering, high octane glamour, as seen in collections like Gucci's.

Gucci - Source Style.com
Gucci - Source Style.com

I have wide legged trousers in spades and for next season I've bought a billowy seventies style blouse with a pussy bow tie from Sportmax to wear with them.  I'm eyeing their floppy brimmed hat as well.  I've also just bought a seventies style, star print maxi dress with fabulous billowy sleeves from Oasis which I'll wear with platforms.

4) Shimmer and Shine

I've always been a bit partial to the sparkly and shiny so there's plenty of sequins, lurex and lame in the closet already to play around with.  I love the fishscale sized sequins in the Prada collection and the star emblazoned sequined dreses at Dolce and Gabbana.  I have this all over fish tail gold sequin dress which I might just have to let out to play again during the party season.

Dolce and Gabbana - Source Style.com

5) Boyish/Androgyny

Again this is masculine tailoring marries the tuxedo trend of late and off we go again, old trends masquerading as new.  Not complaining, in fact I'm positively overjoyed!  This is a trend I particularly like and one I'm sure most of us can do without purchasing new as we probably all have clothing that looks like its borrowed from the boyfriend lurking in the closet due to this trend repeating over the past few years.

Jason Wu - Source Style.com

I for one will be dusting off the boyfriend jackets, suits, mannish trousers and tuxedo jackets I already own to work this one.

6) Fabulous Furs

Isabel Marant - Source Style.com

I know. I'm cheating adding a sixth but I can't go without mentioning the furry coats.  I am so happy they're still going to be around.  As long as shaggy remains de riguer I'll be fashionable as well as warm come mid winter.

Giles - Source Style.com

I also have plenty of furry friends in the wardrobe with whom I can reacquaint myself rather than buying new. Though have to say, this season, I quite fancy me a furry skirt!

Giles - Source Style.com

Which are your favourite trends for Autumn?

22 comments:

  1. The patent belt at Vuitton is very cool, but the buttons on the clothing both @ MJ and Vuitton ruin it for me completely. This all over lace reminds me of something Prada did some seasons ago. Not that all over lace is anything new. I still have yet to browse through the fall runway shows. But going by ad campaigns I really like the oriental/art deco/tuxedo vibe of Ralph Lauren's ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your picks - having runway flashbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your choice, and agree that all the trends are already in your wardrobe if you look carefully.
    Loving Miu Miu this season, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love gucci... they have the best colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this digest of cool autumn trends)) I'm desperately in love with that Marc Jacobs lace dress and Miu Miu forties dresses. So gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my dear-I so adore the Miu Miu dresses, they would be first choice for me if I was buying designer!! How fab to have bought the Christopher Kane leather and embroidery pieces too, they are great investment style pieces for the future! Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I`m a sucker for dots & stars this season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful choices! I love them all and perhaps lean the most towards Marc Jacobs and Gucci. And of course, a little bit of Isabel Marant to throw in a little bit of rock and roll. Looking forward to seeing your interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Pret a Porter P - I think I know what you mean about the buttons, looking at the pics again they are somewhat large. I'm dying for that patent belt - normally I pass on LV collections but this one did get my attention.

    @MyStyle - if I was given a choice (dreaming here) I wouldn't know which Mui Mui dress to pick - they are all so gorgeous. Here's hoping we can head straight to the source of inspiration and find some vintage 40s tea dresses for peanuts instead!

    @Foolish Aesthete - I dream about the Marc Jacobs red lace dress! And as with LV I normally don't take much notice of Gucci - not this season - all over this collection too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post. well written and broken down. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great round-up of the a/w trends! As you say, it becomes more and more difficult to pinpoint trends - styles and eras are overlapping and the influences seem to come from everywhere. I definitely love the 'jewel tones' (booze colours?!?! No, thank you!) and the sharply cut lace garments. Also quite smitten by the new shorter, wider arms which narrow at the wrist - a cut that was big in the 80s. No idea as yet which trend will end up in my wardrobe though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with the fifties trend at the moment. Ive already started buying pieces and have a lovely full skirt that falls beneath the knees :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This list with all the pictures is so fabulous--and useful. Am I a nerd to not be aware of most of this? So jewel colors are IN? I want! Burgundy, emerald, and ruby red, please. I'll now be on the hunt for something more than white and black.

    The thing I love most, however, is that tuxedo look. I don't have anything like that right now--and a *smoking* would be a perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great review! I am definitely with you on making this seasons trends from clothes that you already have. I love Marc Jacobs Polka dots and Mary Katranzou's prints.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Astute analysis with fabulous photos. The 40's are back and I couldn't be happier. And I love androgyny. Looks like I can shop my closet this season, which is great because that is what I was planning to do anyway. With a little addition here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What excellent choices! It looks like my shaggy coats are still acceptable (thank goodnes, i've spent most of the summer buying more)! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. V, this is a brilliantly researched, beautifully assembled piece of investigative journalism. So much so: I'd like to do a little click thru tribute ('pick of the week') or something, on my sidebar, if that's okay.

    I must admit- I went to so many shows in February, and at the time all I wanted was to wear light little summery frocks, and I couldn't get my head round the trends. So for you to identify 'at least 14..' - that sounds about right.

    I, too, am glad the 40s are back, even tho it's not my era. I do better with androgyny. And I'm not even clear what the 90s were, to be able to identify any trends from that period. Polka dots, tho, I do understand: and happen to have a great blouse - designer - from NY that I actually bought IN the 80s. I've been wearing it a lot, with little denim shorts and bare legs, but that will take me into fall. Anyway, I love the post - and wish I could meet you. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @polka dot - thanks for such kind words Jill - though I'm not sure obsessive reading of fashion magazines counts as brilliantly researched investigative journalism! ;)
    The 90's I didn't feature here as I think there is far better stuff - but the parka over a slip dress this season was inspired by Kate Moss in her grungey 90s hey day.
    Hope to see your polka dot blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post, I'm most looking forward to autumn colours with the mix if hard & soft textures... I love that burgundy Marc Jacobs outfit so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post - I always find it interesting to analyse the different trends that magazines put together. My favourite collections by a long shot were Prada and Gucci - all those incredible colours! And who can resist a few polka dots - I hope you find the perfect blouse! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for all your comments!
    @Fashion Tales - Marc Jacobs outdid himself this season - three amazing collections - how does he do it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha, I knew fetish would be top of your list! It's the only one of your six that I'm not on board with, but I have to say I am swayed by your talk of sheer black fabrics and would love a pair of high-gloss lace-up black boots. Maybe you'll bring me over to the dark side after all...

    I have to say, I was knocked out by the 40s and 70s looks in particular; I've always claimed to hate the 70s, but the colours and styles 'in' this season have me sold. ASOS has some beautiful dresses, especially the Vera Moda. Bought a great wine-coloured pussybow dress the other week, and have you seen this little beauty? Or this Marc Jacobs-esque dress that I'll be wearing with my knee socks? And I bought these for an impractical nod to all the glitter and sequins. BUT enough linkage! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...