Sunday, 7 August 2011

Red Vintage Dress


As I write I am ill in bed with a stinking head cold.  Mr V passed it to me and then promptly abandoned me to fly to New York today for a week in the big Apple WITHOUT ME.  Outrageous behaviour!  Although he is going to be working, I am so jealous! I've never been to New York, neither for work nor pleasure and am dying to go.

To cheer myself up I'm going to cyber-preen over my new purchase.  This is the vintage dress I bought last weekend at the Vintage at Southbank festival.  I have no idea what age it is but I doubt it's very old or even qualifies as vintage.  It was the colour, style and unusual print that had me sold.  I thought it was very Carrie in SATC and could totally imagine walking through the streets of New York wearing this and hailing one of those yellow cabs, with an armful of shopping bags filled with all the wonderful things New York shopping has to offer.  Sigh!  Instead I am bedridden in London and burning a fever!

I especially love the concertina folds of the accordion pleat skirt.  Can I just say that I absolutely adore accordion pleat skirts.  The flippiness!  The flirtiness!  How can you not feel like like a woman wearing one?  I have loved them for years but never owned one until recently as they have not been readily available for a very long time.  So if there is one trend I have absolutely delighted in this summer it is the return of this elegant and feminine piece.  

I've already bought three high street versions from the summer sales - a midi in white and navy polka dot print, a midi in pink lace and a blush pink maxi and I have my eye on a cute little colour block number from Topshop.  And don't get me started on the pleat maxis in all the colours of the rainbow on ASOS and their cute pleat shift dress in teal.  Somebody stop me!
Dress: Vintage; Espadrilles: bought in Spain; Earrings: Swarvoski; Bracelets: Banana Republic, Topshop; Belt: Accessorise

19 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog - what took me so long?!

    Love this dress. It has a 70's vibe, but it doesn't really matter; as you say, it's how it makes you feel. The red espadrilles are fab too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress!! You look fab!!
    If you want we can follow each other! Have a magic day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous on you! Reminds me of a casual version of your professional dancing dresses ( I don't know if that's a real term). Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you're feeling so bad, boo:( I wish you a speedy recovery. I didn't make it to NY until last year for the first time, you will get there someday and you will love it!

    Get better soon!
    xo, f
    The House in the Clouds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's gorgeous! Absolutely ADORE this dress! Feel better soon, NYC always awaits - we share a dream! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the skirt on this dress, so swishy! I'm a total pleats addict at the moment, they are starting to take over my wardrobe in a big way.

    Fever sounds awful, I hope you start feeling better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Navy polka dot! I love!

    This red dress is stunning, of course, and an excellent find. I, too, am loving the return of such feminine pieces, and this point makes me want to run and hunt some new dresses down! Take care and be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have been loving pleated skirts all of a sudden and hope to find at least one hanging in my closet very soon. I wish you were able to come to NYC with your guy, I'd love to meet you and buy you both a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww, fgeel better soon!

    It's a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember dresses like this from the early 80s. You look gorgeous in it and I would totally wear it. Hope you feel better soon!

    sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! How rude of Mr. V. You look great. I just love this dress, and it looks fabulous paired with the espadrilles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute vintage dress! Definitely an NYC worthy dress! You do have to make a trip out there one of these days! I'm originally from there and there are times I miss it terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely dress. I agree about the pleats ... I love their swoosshiness! I recently blogged about a gorgeous vintage American pleated dress - sadly it's too big for me so is now hanging on a screen in our bedroom until I decide to part with it ... M x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dress is great - a have a few similar dresses my mom wore in 70th.
    This one is really pretty - the color and those pleats <3 And also dots - they are always making everything better))

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really pretty! Nothing like a bit of flippiness in summer... It's been ages since I was in NY. I'd really love to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. Hope you are feeling much better already! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phew! just catching up with my favourite blogs and I realised I'd missed this beauty! I love it and it looks very much like what Mum dressed me in the late 1970's so most very definitely vintage!
    Lovely to see you in red and it fits your gorgeously toned bod like a dream.
    Get well soon (if you're not already). x

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the dress! that is the right shade of red.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I swear I had left a comment on this post ...:(

    What a beautiful dress and what a beautiful dress on you.

    I hope the fever has subsided hon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...