Monday, 1 August 2011

Park Life


Another glorious weekend, another picnic in the park to while away a late Saturday afternoon and top up the tan, which was courtesy of lying on the beach in Spain for those who have asked.  Yes, I had to leave the country to get this colour.  This time we were a bit more organised and brought a cheese board and crackers with us (and a less posh picnic blanket!).  I love how all the clover starts to flower this time of year and seasons all that straw gold of the long grass with a smattering of red.

Also visible amidst the grass were the bright, shiny bodies of hundreds and hundreds of lipstick red ladybirds, the glossy lacquer of their polka dot print wings gleaming in the late afternoon sun.  There were so many of them in fact they were crawling over us and our picnic blanket.  You might spot one on my sandal.  As the afternoon waned they each mounted and climbed to the top of a sunlit stalk of grass, waiting for what I'm not sure, perhaps a favourable air current to take off or merely to escape the encroaching dew.  I found it a rather impressive feat for such a tiny creature.

The perils I tell you of venturing into the great outdoors to get your blogger's outfit shot.  When that great outdoors is in London you never know what you might find.  Having grown up in Australia I was always trained to remember that there are not always nice surprises hiding in long grass and to watch out for snakes and spiders.  Here in an English park I should be relatively free of these concerns to frolic in the grass while Mr V surreptitiously gets an outfit shot.  Here's park life in London for you, its not just ladybirds you have to mind crawling about in the grass.

What you don't see in these photos is my rather perplexed expression after the realisation has dawned that there was a couple not so far away behind us who were not quite as hidden in the long grass as they thought they were, doing some frolicking of an entirely different nature!  The expression "get a room" did come to mind.  My attention was actually drawn to them in the first place because the guy kept popping his head above the grass to glare at me like I was the freak walking around enjoying the sunshine and getting my photo taken!  Yeah, well no shame there buddy.

There I was feeling all self conscious about having an outfit shot taken in public, and that I, myself, could be accused of an act of public indecency daring to wear a pair of mini-shorts and a racer back vest at my age.  Well I shouldn't have worried, because on this occasion I was well and truly upstaged! This is an open, fairly exposed public space which is used by families and they were interrupted not just by us taking these photos, but by two very young children running through the grass catching crickets, followed shortly later by their extended family and later an old couple walking their inquisitive dog!  And all that everyone seems to do (couple included) is that very English thing of "keep calm and carry on".  So we carried on taking photos - I was darned if I was going to allow blogus interruptus by sheer embarrassment to stop me getting my outfit shots.  Can't say I don't show dedication to the cause.

Suede shorts: Kate Moss for Topshop; Sequined tank top: Topshop; Gladiator sandals: Accessorise; Jacket: Kate Moss for Topshop;

13 comments:

  1. You look tanned and gorgeous! I'm always really self conscious to take my outfit pics with people around. I don't know how people do it in the park every day.....taking pictures I mean....not IT! :) Hugs! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, eyes straight ahead and talk about the weather - hehe!! You have convinced me now that there is nothing embarrassing about taking blog pics in public, what with the threat of blogus interruptus to contend with. Beaut pics Miss V, the ladybird story is so lovely:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute tank! Blogus interruptus - ha! Yeah, best to ignore the shenagigans - it's their bad! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG--in a public park? We have sampled a corn field...but no public parks. I do love the photos of the ladybug and are those liederhosen you are wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sequins on the top!! Lucky you having sun - we were in clouds all weekend :(

    The cheese board looks like the best picnic idea - ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have asked them if you could take a picture for your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pulled off this outfit well! I like how the colors are so similar yet work well together.

    Also, as for that couple--that's just wrong! So wrong.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow that's crazy!! I mean grass isn't that tall! LOL. I am totally loving your picnic outfit, especially the tank top! I'm a sucker for anything that sparkles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tank! And what's better than a picnic with your honey on a gorgeous day? Nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi my dear-you look fabulous, I just adore your Kate Moss jacket and shorts!! Fab pics too xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheese and sunshine, what could be better?
    You look amazing in that outfit. I hate having my pictures taken when there's other's around too. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahahahahahahaha!! Most amusing! But seriously, that couple took being one with nature a bit too literally!

    You look all caramel coloured! and with a body like that you could be a 110 and we'd all still be sighing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha, this seems to be quite a common thing in parks and at festivals... Good you didn't let the indecency stop you! Love the shimmery top and shorts combination. Perfect summer dressing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...