Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Lingerie Drawer


As part of my post apocalyptic wardrobe rail failure and mammoth re-organisation effort I have been reading Elika Gibbs book Practical Princess, Perfect Wardrobe.  A full review is pending but I wanted to share one of the ideas I've taken on board from the book and that is of creating a lingerie drawer. I've always wanted a lingerie drawer but it kind of seemed like the sort of thing that other more organised women with glamorous lives do.  The ones with boudoirs and marabou trimmed bedroom slippers, who use proper powder puffs arranged with other exquisite items on their luxurious dressing tables.  Dita Von Teese has a lingerie drawer, not me.

However I've always complained that I don't wear my matching bras and knickers enough after going to all the effort and expense of buying matching sets.  I had somehow convinced myself that I didn't have too much in the sweet little nothings department to warrant making the fuss of putting them in some sort of order in their own special drawer.  It was just a tangled mess of bra strap spaghetti with everything thrown into those drawer dividing baskets from Ikea. Some mornings I would end up throwing everything onto the floor just trying to find what I wanted or give up and wear whatever combination came out first.  (Oh wait, that's what I do with the rest of my wardrobe too...hmmm.)

So I decided to try my hand at making my very own lingerie drawer.  Well after the disposal of much unused and laddered hosiery that was clogging up the drawers I made space in the top two thinnest drawers in the chest of drawers by my bed for my lingerie: pretty frivolous stuff on the right, functional stuff like basic nudes, flesh coloured tights and strapless, convertible and sports bras on the left.  I have to say I'm rather pleased with the effect!  It now takes a lot less time to find things and once it was all visible and on display in an aesthetically pleasing manner, it made me realise that I do have some lovely things that I should wear more often.

The technique is to fold each bra in half pushing the cup of one side into the other, then roll the straps up and push them into the cup.   Then fold the matching knickers and push them into the cup too and start stacking up your sets in the drawer according to colour.  It's a simple but brilliant idea to help keep them together and stop the tangling of the straps.  I also now find I will be more inclined to wear the set as when taking the bra out, you are instantly reminded that there are matching knickers and you don't need to go hunting for them because they're right there nestled in the cup.


As there were not many matching sets in the nudes I stacked the knickers separately from the bras and used my Ikea baskets to better effect to separate out those pesky bits and pieces that you need to find in a hurry but never can - the bra fillers, the straps from the convertible strapless bra and fresh pairs of flesh coloured tights. I almost sigh with relief when I open this drawer now and see everything within easy reach.

The beauty is that once you've arranged it all, when it comes to laundry day it is not too hard to keep the system up by conforming to the folding rules. I haven't quite got round to getting the rest of the wardrobe to this level of organised simplicity and not everything in the book will apply to me, but this was certainly useful. Ms Gibbs you have a convert!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I made my first drawer with bras only (before I had bras and underwear together) and it just makes getting dressed much more exciting when everything is more organized and color coordinated.

    --Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never considered placing the knickers inside the cups! What an incredible idea. (BTW, I'm in awe of your collection . . . Luscious and DVT worthy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! The boa-ladies have nothing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those drawers look great. I just recently purchase a fantastic Ethan Allen dresser which came with slats of wood organizers. I'm lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this doesn't come across creepy, but I'm totally envious of your undies!! Sooooo pretty! I wish I were that woman who wore matching bra and panties!! I may have to do some lingerie shopping soon! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great ideas. I have very few sets of matching lingerie...so the undies and bras are all tossed into one drawers, the socks and stockings and tights in another. But if I could keep things better organized, hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks so neat and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea! i definitely need to try this system - wearing matching pairs was always an issue for me)

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, having seen your pretties looking beautiful in their drawer, I think I need to throw out all my mis-matched old stuff and start again! M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks brilliant and how ingenius, too. sadly, although I'm the proud owner of some marabou slippers I don't own a single set of matching undies. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stumbled upon your blog and really enjoy your writing. I've also started to think more methodically about my wardrobe - actually just wrote a post about it - and how to curate pieces that I actually love. Def a work in progress and I'll make sure to see how you're doing it too :)

    My So-Called Corporate Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those really are a few great ideas. No lingerie drawer for me yet. However, I am in the middle of unpacking/re-organizing my entire wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh you're a clever clogs Miss V. Your drawer lined up with your matching sets looks very lovely - a different set each day! Gorgeous!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must do this! I need to organize my lingerie immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks lush - what a beautiful selection of underwear! DVT would be proud (not deep vein thrombosis, obviously).
    As we're still living in an attic, all my underwear is in tiny wicker baskets, so I'm forced to try your other technique, i.e. pulling everything out onto the floor...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad that this organization has had such a positive impact! I used to fold my bras to keep them in order, but instead of pushing one cup into the other- I always thought they seemed lumpy when unformed, even though they were thin and mostly unpadded- I twist it in the center, in between there the underwires are. For me this keeps them from smashing up and wrinkling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My lingerie drawer is always such a mess so I am very thankful for this post! I will definitely put these tips in use!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so organised... seriously need little baskets like that to redo my drawers. All my stuff is just jumbled together :s

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...