Friday, 5 August 2011

Friend Friday: Locational Influences...

This week Friend Friday is all about how where we live influences our sartorial choices.  Hop over to Modly Chic to see the other Friend Friday posts.


1. What part of the world do you blog from?


I blog from the great city of London!

London is a major international city with an incredibly diverse population of somewhere around seven to ten million depending on which statistics you believe.  As a result it offers a cosmopolitan vibe that is almost second to none.  This city is an absolute mecca for fashion lovers with unrivalled shopping, a history of being at the forefront of cutting edge fashion with it's world famous fashion schools and thousands of fashion savvy dressers pounding the London streets to give you daily inspiration.  This is where the likes of Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, John Galliano, Stella McCartney to name but a few, trained and cut their fashion teeth in the industry.

Twice a year the fashion world descends on Somerset House in London for London Fashion Week.

London Fashion Week
Somerset House
2. If you had to describe the overall mode of dress for where you live what would you say?

What I love about living here most is that anything goes in London.  You can dress in whatever style takes your fancy and if you love fashion you would be mad no to take advantage of that!  You can be as dressed up, dressed down, trendy and high fashion or as whacky and invidualistic as you like and nobody will bat an eyelid (those that do are probably the tourists).  I could be dressed in an evening gown and sit down in the tube next to any or all of a punk with ripped jeans, leather jacket and a mohican, a dead ringer for Lady Gaga, someone in a suit, or a builder coming home from work in paint splattered jeans and a tee shirt.

Wearing Vintage to a Vintage clothes festival
3. Do you fit in with the status quo around you or do you break the mold?

I do a bit of everything to be honest.  I spent my youth in the suburbs where people rarely dressed up so living in city where one can get dressed up however they see fit has been a dream come true for the frustrated young fashion lover I once was.  I have to remind myself how lucky I am sometimes when I get lazy and don't make an effort with an outfit to remember that I can and I should.

London has definitely influenced the way I dress.  I love the opportunties to dress to express yourself and to work high fashion trends that I know I wouldn't dare wear living elsewhere in the country or abroad.  See the end of the post for a selection of what I wear in London.

4. If you have lived or traveled to another part of the country/world did your clothing choices evolve?

I grew up in South East Asia and Australia where the weather is generally mild to hot. I find the warmer the weather the more relaxed people's attitude to dress and style and I do feel most at ease dressing for warm climates.

I also lived in Spain for a while dancing flamenco so I'm partial to a frilly frock.


During my time there living the artist's life I lived in lots of floaty, bohemian, hippy gear and I generally revert to that style when I return to Spain on holiday to see my friends. 

However alot of the time in Spain these days this is about as much as you'll find me wearing.


Having a second and third home in warmer climes than where I live in London works to my fashion advantage too.  Sometimes I like bringing some London style clothing to Spain or Australia with me to look a little different and stand out from the locals.  And then I go back to London with things I buy in Spain and Australia because I know it will be different to what people are wearing there too!

I've travelled around Europe and have picked up interesting things for the wardrobe in towns I've visited, jewellery, shoes or clothes I knew I wouldn't find in London.  I also love taking notes on how the locals approach fashion and dressing themselves to see if I can learn some new tricks.

Bringing some London Style to France!

5. If you had to describe your style by naming a specific city, what would you be?

I couldn't really put a finger on my style as it is such a mish mash of ingredients blended together.  So in naming a city to describe the spirit of my style I would definitely pick that big melting pot of influences in one metropolis - London!


Work
Play
Glam
Grunge
Boho
Winter
Summer
Just plain silly

4 comments:

  1. A great post--it's always wonderful when you talk about the range of sartorial attitudes you project on the streets of London and elsewhere. I'm also loving all these colors other than black--even though I love (you in) black.

    I've been surprised recently how quickly Oklahoma has influenced what I wear--or let myself wear. It's hot, which means prioritizing dresses in a way I haven't in a long time. But also color--reds, browns, and golds are going to become more evident over time. Most of all, living in a place where simply being tasteful is enough to earn looks, I figure why not wear whatever I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how London style sounds - it reminds me of San Francisco. I think I would fit in lovely there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess location really has an influence on what and how you wear, even if you're not aware of that. But the advantage of the big cities is the possibility to get away with anything! The bigger the city the more open minded it is. Or at least I hope so! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous post. I love looking back at your outfits and marvelling at the way you put things together.
    Last time I was in London I was surprised by how much I was openly stared at and photographed. I suppose that's the tourists rather than the locals. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...