Friday, 8 April 2011

Friend Friday: Spring Trends

Friend Friday is run by ModlyChic. To participate email katy_rose1@yahoo.com. This week we are talking about Spring trends.

Believe it or not it has only started to really feel like Spring this past week in London with glorious sunshine and balmy temperatures.  I actually feel like shedding my coat and woollen layers and wearing some lighter, prettier and more colourful attire.

Thankfully Spring/Summer trends tend to repeat themselves a lot with the same themes running through for years at a time.  You can pretty much bank on florals, colour and summer whites in some form or other making a comeback year after year.

As the warm season here is notoriously short I have resolved to not buy too much new Spring/Summer clothes this year and make more use of what I have.  I have been delighted to find I have enough in my wardrobe to work several trends without hitting the shops.  Now let's see if I can be disciplined enough to stick to shopping from my wardrobe!  The five trends I will be working this spring using items from my closet are:

1. The Biker Jacket


The biker is my favourite jacket and my go to wardrobe piece in Spring as a cover up.  I own many and wear them constantly whether they are considered on trend or not.  Thanks to Burberry Prosurm's SS11 collection in which the biker was heavily featured (and perversely crowned the new aviator jacket), I will also be working a major trend this Spring whenever I wear one of my bikers.

2. White Lace


Dolce and Gabbana has put white lace dresses on the fashion map for Spring. Good thing I bought this white lace number from the Kate Moss for Topshop Spring Summer collection last year then!

3. Florals, Prints, Colour and Brights


Colour is back and the choice of trends this season in which you can work some colour into your wardrobe seems to be a rehash of previous Spring trends: florals, prints, brights and colour blocking.  Snake print and chinoiserie are back as print themes.

My summer dress collection is a testimony in itself as to how often these trends come around again.  I have hardly bought any new Spring/Summer clothes this season as I've got more than enough dresses to work most of trends I have noted.  Note to self: I do not need to buy another floral print dress.

Fashionista cheat notes to save money: convince yourself you are working two trends in one with one set of garments! Neon brights aren't for me but there is plenty of bright colour to choose from amongst my printed pieces!  There are two Vivienne Westwood jersey dresses, one in lipstick red and one in purple that would tick the colour blocking box.

For chinoiserie I have a kimino inspired dress from Mango, a mini dress with a blue and white cherry blossom print reminisicent of blue china that I had for over a decade from Karen Millen, and I also have my new kimino top from Zara.  There's even a snake print dress from Mango hiding in there waiting to work the comeback of snake as a trend too!


4. Leather Trousers


Leather trousers of the skinny rock star variety refuse to go away.  They had been a big trend for the past couple of winters and I was wondering when the magazines would start trying to kill them off.  I love my leather motorcycle trousers and leather leggings so I'd be wearing them regardless but I was surprised to see that almost all the magazines here are now hailing them as a wardrobe staple no fashionable woman should be without.

If you haven't already succumbed to purchasing a pair in winter it seems like every online retailer is selling new versions of the skinny leather trouser for Spring.  Leather trousers in Spring is not as bad an idea as it may first sound.  It can still get pretty chilly in the Spring here, especially in the evenings.  So it is a relief that there is a fashionable warm option to turn too when it becomes too cool for floaty dresses and shorts.

From what I saw of the Autumn/Winter 2011 collections on recent buying trips and London Fashion Week, I strongly suspect that a pair bought now will be worn right through next winter as well!


5. Wide Legged Jeans and Seventies Chic


I have been wearing my trusty Love Story jeans since the height of Winter. I'll just keep wearing them into Spring as wide legged jeans are apparently the new skinny.  Worn with a blouse and platform shoes, I'll be able to simultaneously work that other trend of the moment - the Seventies!

30 comments:

  1. Hi there!! Gorgeous post and featuring a lot of my favourites too-I adore floral print dresses, they're my weakness, as are biker jackets!! I'll be shopping my wardrobe too for the trends above, its great how these pieces are forever stylish!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have focused on things you already have, rather than things you want or are going to buy. I felt quite cosumerist writing mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought I would want leather trousers, but seeing yours I am now a teensy bit envious xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wise, dear V. I'm not really buying 'spring/summer' clothes,..and I hate this time of year in magazines - full of bikinis already! Love the jeans, particularly. My nod to the 70s is coming from my burgeoning collection of 70s day dresses, worn with knee socks. Still wish I could 'rock' leather trousers...but my new orange silk pegs will have to suffice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your white lace dress is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! I definitely agree with things, though I'm not sure I'm brave enough to rock leather pants! I'm on a mission to expand my dress collection, and florals and prints are on the top of my list. I currently have only 1! I need to do some serious shopping...:D

    http://mygrowingobsessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this, I wonder if I should be putting more of my spring/summer "alterations savings" toward dresses in beautiful prints and colors. Alas, I think I will not be on point there. The truth is that colorful and print dresses are my weakness, and yet they are also the pieces I tend to let go of quickly. This is yet another reason I admire your wardrobe.

    But I'm excited by the biker jacket and leather pants as spring trends. This is the perfect time for me to wear my leather pants here as I can pull out fun heels now (no ice and snow!), and I'm a huge fan of biker jackets now. I've been looking at a black lace one--and maybe I will just bit the bullet today and get it. Perfect for spring and summer as the temps rise.

    Gorgeous post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally in love with your leather pants! Like totally! Biker jackets - yes! I have a red denim and a red leather!
    Love your choices!
    Happy Friend Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your picks (as always!). It's great that you use what you already have because your season is so short. It makes sense to invest in those pieces that stand the test of trends!

    And I'm totally feeling that jacket btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG sweetheart, I am in love with your style! Your closet looks like mine! lol So many pretty dresses, and that bikerjacket is fab with everything. Can we go shopping toghether please?

    Hugs from Oslo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in my biker jacket! This post would be perfect for our link up today for Fashion Fridays. If you want to link up, check it out! Kori xoxo

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your white lace dress is so beautiful! I've been looking for one for many years now without any luck. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also in love with lace! Great to see everyone's trends. You have so many amazing items already! -xxoo

    Ladyofashion

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the leather & lace trends and wear both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The white lace dress is beautiful. Looks like it's time to pull out the vintage lace!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wide legged jeans + brights = wins in my book :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great peek inside your closet! Your lace dress is stunning, I love summer for dresses but you have to keep the biker jacket to balence them out I agree x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel that trends shouldn't be trendy- and your picks aren't- they are interesting and classic stand-bys that get a new life each season. My favorite picks from your wardrobe? The long lace number hopefully paired with the biker jacket. -Bella Q

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gracias guapa.
    Me chifla el vestido de encaje, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh( suspiro de adoración)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel like wide-legged jeans and skinnies alternate in ultimate trendiness very quickly -- and to some of us, it's all a blur, so stick with what you like. I stick with boot cuts as a safe compromise, but I am open to finding some dark, wide-legged trouser jeans.

    Hmm...like the idea of a chinoiserie trend, although I haven't seen much yet in my own browsings. That's the kind of thing I'd invest in happily, in quality pieces, and always wear as part of my style.

    The images of the lace dress are gorgeous! Did you take them? Where?

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Cloud of Secrets - Sarah, the photos of the lace dress were taken last Spring in Andalucia where Mr V and I escaped to for three months. We were renting a wonderful rooftop flat with these fabulous shabby chic, vintage doors - I wish I had taken more photos of them now as there was a lot more sunlight to take good photos! I've taken the colour saturation up in this version but if you're interested the full post featuring photos of that dress and other things I bought from the collection is at the link below:
    http://taxonomyofmywardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/06/kate-moss-for-spring-summer-2010-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. FABULOUS white lace dress - that is just beautiful - I can't wait to see you IN it! Your printed and florals are all gorgeous too. we are in Autumn here and I have no idea what the 'trends' are - I never pay any attention!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! You have such a delightful selection of floral dresses! And the KM for Topshop lace dress is just fabulous. I think I'll be engaging with the eternal Seventies easy chic aesthetic all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my god, you've got such a great wardrobe ! All these prints are delighful for my eyes !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I cannot get over that lace dress. It is so gorgeous. Have you done an outfit post wearing that? Maybe you did and I missed it. I also love those wide-leg jeans. I need some like that. I tried skinny jeans and they look awful on me. I need bootcut or wide-legged to balance everything out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Leather trousers tempt me so, but I don't know if I'm badass enough for them. Maybe next season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're totally sorted! (How very Australian of you to plan wearing leather trousers in the breezy English summer :) Big fan of your lovely lace dress, too. I have to admit that I haven't thought about summer dressing at all yet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, I want to dive into that huge rack of gorgeous, colourful dresses - can't wait to see you wearing them with your vast array of swoony shoes!!! Glad I changed the way you see household chores;)). xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want/need leather trousers and some white lace tops... I have this image of wearing them together..? Hmmm. Might not ever happen, since Ive seen neither of these elusive items any where in my area. Its probably a good thing, I feel like its a wardrobe disaster waiting to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am loving all of these too. I will definitely be getting some flared jeans and lots more prints.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...