Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Flower Power


Hope you have all had a wonderful and restful Easter break!  We have been having glorious weather in London over the Easter bank holiday weekend with temperatures in the mid twenties and lots of sunshine (except for a rather spectacular thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon).

I've taken the opportunity being off duty to crack out the floral prints, working a different one each day - that is, until a sudden cool turn this morning with wind and grey skies forced me back into leather leggings.  No matter - I still managed to get some pics of my brief flowery phase which I'll post over the next couple of days to ring in Spring.  I'm praying that this weekend past is a sign that we will be having a long hot summer!


This is yesterday's outfit.  I have been trying my hardest to shop the wardrobe this season rather than buy new as there are so many rehashed trends from previous years that most people are bound to have something that would do the job.  Even though all the items I'm wearing here are more than three years old, I am working three major Spring trends, floral prints, the maxi and the biker jacket, all in one go!  This month I set myself a target to not buy any new apparel and have to say that with four days to go in April I have managed to not buy a single new item.  Not one iota.  Those who know how much I love shopping will know what an amazing feat this is!  Four more days to go...

This dress and the earrings were a birthday present from a friend in 2008.  I have worn it every summer since I got it and 2011 will be no exception.  The floral maxi dress just refuses to go away as a staple of summer dressing. 

This is how I have to wear yellow - in a print and far away from my face.  People often say I should be able to wear yellow with my skin tone but sadly it completely washes me out and makes me look kind of green.  Speaking of green, I managed to work another colour by pulling out my green biker as a cover up.  Look Mum - no black!

Being a shorty, if I am wearing flats I have to hoick any maxi dress I wear up off the floor with the use of belt.  Otherwise I'd end up street sweeping London - see bottom pic for demonstration of the length issue.  Believe me you really, really don't want the hems of your beloved garments collecting the grime of London sidewalks and streets!  This floral motif belt with turquoise stones is one I have had for years and comes in handy for these types of dresses. 


Are you finding that you have things from previous seasons that are on trend this Spring or are you buying something new?
 
Floral maxi dress: Stradavarius; Cropped biker jacket: Kate Moss for Topshop; Studded gladiator sandals: Accessorise; Belt: Kookai; Pendant: Vintage

21 comments:

  1. Of all your stunning clothes this maxi has to be one of the most fabulous things you own, it fits you to perfection and makes your gorgeous body look so lean and toned. I love the KM jacket, too, in fact I'm gren with envy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear-totally gorgeous outfit, the style I love so much too! Your dress is a wonderful gift and I love your biker jacket xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress!! Sooo glad that maxis are in for another summer :) Hope you had a lovely bank hol, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll be skipping most of the trends this year in preference to tanks + jeans or tanks + simple black skirt. My dresses from last year will have to do. My one gesture to the spring trends is the eyelit biker jacket picked up at Outnet.com. And I'll of course be pulling out my other biker jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew that biker jacket looked familiar! I have the very same one.

    Great ensemble and well done for shopping your own wardrobe.

    SSG xxx

    Sydney Shop Girl blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this combo of tough and feminine. Another fave! Works so well.

    Thanks for your kind comment last week, doll. It touched me and I appreciate your thoughts and support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful dress...and YOU have beautiful shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous dress! I never had you down as a short person! street sweeping definiutely not a good thing, I am glad you are making this work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeoua frock - hope to see it more this season!

    PLEASE keep trying with yellow - so many people say they can't wear it but there are so many shades - pastel, sunshine, canary, lemon, mustard... and one of them is sure to be flattering on you. I should be on the payroll of Yellow - I am such an advocate!!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS! This dress is PERFECTION!!! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dancer's body is perfection-plus and you are showing off this beautiful dress and jacket with so much grace. i don't own any yellow clothing, it does that same thing to me too. I'm so glad you got some beautiful sunshiney days - it would have put a fresh spring into your step Ozzie girl:))) xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flowers & leather make a gorgeous combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress is gorgeous. I love a maxi especially with floral print. I used to think yellow washed me out too, then I discovered a mustard yellow cardigan in Primark. I dunno why, but, it works. You should try it out... (not a color Id normally go for, but surprisingly nice on and easy to wear)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combination of floaty, flowery maxi dress, vintagey locket, and edgy trim leather. Perfect!

    Like you, I've managed to avoid spending money on apparel for several weeks, excepting my metallic flats, which were a necessity I'd been planning on for a while, and the $4.99 tote. I don't know how I've resisted. I think I'm just not too enthusiastic about spring offerings, and I did a decent job last year of acquiring some things that I can use this year -- blouses, cardis, jeans, shoes. I also think that my little style blog vacation is helping me to resist temptation!

    I am being tempted by maxi dresses, though. I love what Vix does with vintage styles, and your photos make me even more interested in acquiring one myself. I've never gotten into sundresses much, but the benefit of maxi dresses is that they'll hide my pale legs, if not my arms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect dress! And respect for not shopping for a month! I wish I could do that but I haven't managed to detain myself. :(((

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the combination of the floaty floral dress (which looks absolutely lovely on you. Great arms, btw!) and the leather jacket is a perfect combination. I'm also marvelling at the question if and how one can wear yellow. It's a very tricky colour, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the dress with the leather jacket. You wear it so well. Are you watching the wedding on Friday? I haven't been shopping either. There hasn't been much I've been flipping for so it's easy to resist temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love your dress and jacket. I finally found a good light weight biker jacket that I am looking forward to pairing with spring frocks.

    I totally agree with you. If you really look closely at the "top trends" for spring, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that the true trend is "anything goes." Lol. Seriously, what isn't in style this year? It's definitely just a hodge podge of all our fave trends from previous seasons.

    I love yellow, but it definitely depends on the shade. I have an olive complexion, and I find that lemon yellow works very well for me. Anything else makes me look green, too. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Long Maxis are so cool for summers.
    I repeat almost everything of last season.

    http://dreamfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. That maxi dress is too cute!! That's awesome you have some great pieces in your wardrobe that you can use every season! I think the only thing in my closet that survives every season are my jeans! These past few years I've been slowly re-doing my wardrobe so I can get it to the point where I don't have to shop soo much (though I don't think that will deter me too much though! LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...