Tuesday, 1 March 2011

London Fashion Week: Mawi


If Wallis Simpson were alive today I think she would be clamouring to wear the designs of London jewellery designer Mawi.  These are stylish contemporary costume jewellery pieces whose design strikes that magical balance that enables them to make your wardrobe work harder for you.  They manage to transcend seasonal trends and yet adding them to an outfit somehow brings whatever you are wearing bang up to date.

The designs are split into two collections: Fine Costume and Heirloom.  The Fine Costume range is about forward looking, unique and modern pieces drawing on architecture, sculpture, industrial and futuristic forms for inspiration.  Expect striking, bold and edgy jewellery that uses chunky shapes, structured lines, spikes, tubes, double claw settings, thick and interesting chain links, supersized pearls and brightly coloured gems for maximum impact.

The designer's own love of collecting vintage and trinkets is reflected in the more romantic, vintage feel of the Heirloom collection (which is my personal favourite).  Mawi cites the inspiration for the Heirloom collection as being estate jewels, family heirlooms, royal and historical influences.  Here you find panther heads with rubies for eyes and emeralds on their collars adorning opulent necklaces and bracelets.  There are coloured crystal and perspex gems, ornate clasps, pearls in vibrant colours or printed with motifs of roses, eclectic collections of trinkets and charms, engraved heart lockets and silver and gold bows.  A signature Mawi feature is the unexpected use of silver or gold plated skulls to give a darker edge to what, on a first glance, seem to be more delicate, feminine and classical designs.

The main line jewellery collection doesn't come cheap but there has been a collaboration with ASOS for a good couple of seasons now which offers some great pieces with that signature Mawi look at more wallet friendly prices.  I also keep an eye out for pieces on sale on sites like Cocosa, which feature sales of Mawi jewellery from time to time, as well as sales on the designer's own E-shop.

13 comments:

  1. Love Mawi's designs but always a little out of my price range!! Have just ordered a ring from the Asos collection though! So excited for it to arrive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last picture had been fainting for a moment. The gold and big, colored gems of the former doesn't attract me--but the strength of the silver piece does! I can see one of these necklaces fitting into my wardrobe perfectly. Hmmm, need to start saving some pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent ages admiring the Mawi stall at the Clothes Show Live in 2009. Their crystal chandelier droplet necklace is stunning but way out of my price range.
    You're right, I bet Wallis Simpson would have loved all of it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I love that their ASOS line is totally affordable.. true, it's not as luxurious like the pictures above, but I was just admiring thinking 'not like I could ever aford anything Mawi' and then kaboom, ASOS! Yaay! :) There's a giveaway on our blog if you want to enter :) (I hate that it sounds like self promoting , I hate ppl doing that , but I just geniounly want you to have a chance to win it! It's a black silk clutch purse and I'm just thinking of all the people who it would be perfect for and you came to mind as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intensely beautiful. For me, the second necklace down, and the last piece get my heart stomping. I am afraid to look at the price points- I'll ooh and ahh from the sidelines. This is my first exposure to Mawi, and I definitely expect to see more of them. -Bella Q
    Enter to Win My Shabby Apple Dress Give-Away- the Citizen Rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, that first bracelet is amazing. I had heard of the brand but didn't realise the designs were so incredible x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved Mawi for a long time, and they never disappoint me with their beautiful pieces! Some day I'll be wearing a necklace myself..

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so beautiful. Inspired to get more costume jewelery!
    christine
    http://un-stitched.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these pieces, especially the ones with the panthers. I agree, these are Duchess of Windsor-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god. I want them all. Ive never heard of Mawi until now. NOt sure should I thank you or not.. haa X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh pretty, pretty, pretty! I always dream of starting my own heirlooms... Maybe with these?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a such a beautiful pieces. Mawi's collection is a must have collection piece.
    lee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what's funny: I remember reading this post and loving her designs - but I didn't put it together when I got the invite (I didn't even know it was jewelry, frankly: assumed it was clothing). And thank you for explaining the distinction: I love the way you write (and the photos are gorgeous).

    What was fascinating about last night was that while the jewelry was on display only inside these fun little vintage amusement park cases, along with candy, the guests were decked out in Mawi, wearing the jewels in such interesting and varied way.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, and sending me the link: I've learned my new thing for the day now. Have a GORGEOUS summery weekend V! (Oh and btw: If you want to stop by the shop - it's near Arnold Circus - let's meet there sometime!) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...