Thursday, 10 March 2011

London Fashion Week: Georgina Goodman


The dust settled on London Fashion Week some time ago but here am I still ploughing through my photographs.  Still more to come on the jewellery front but for now - more shoes!

These amazing shoes are by London based designer Georgina Goodman.  Goodman started her journey in shoe design comparatively late in life, changing careers in her thirties and going back to college to learn the craft.  Quite inspirationally, she managed not only to set up a thriving business but consistently delivers very original and unique shoe designs.

Her trademark scratch stripe sole makes her shoes recognisable in the same way the lipstick red soles mark out a pair of Louboutins.  As I had suspected she was the designer behind the sculptural shoes in the Corrie Nielsen show.  Another trademark feature is the sculpted heart shaped stiletto heel which can be seen in the last photo.  No doubt it is this kind of attention to detail in her designs that has earned her the admiration of the likes of Manolo Blahnik.  I think my favourite pair has to be the gem embellished sandals in the last pair of photos.

For a fantastic interview with Georgina where she talks about how she changed career and set up her own business check out this video on Delicious Ambitious.  I think people who find what they really want to do very early on in life are very fortunate but people like Georgina Goodman are inspirational in showing that you can still make that discovery later on and attain success doing something you love.  As someone who has changed careers a couple of times and is likely to change again I found it quite comforting to hear a successful business woman stress that a career path can develop organically and that nothing you do is a waste of time.

11 comments:

  1. I'm partial to the black and red shoe in the second photo, although I don't think I would make it one city block on that heel. And don't get close to subway grating!

    I am going to check out the interview with Georgina right now. I love it when people get started on something they have a passion for 'later.' It reminds me of Julia Child, who didn't start cooking school until she was 37.

    Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are truly beautiful! I'd love the first pair--if I could walk in them!--because they would be stylish forever.

    I'm eager to listen to Georgina about shifting careers late. I've been thinking about that a lot lately, and some words of wisdom would help keep my direction true. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are works of art aren't they. I think the second one down is my favourite xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of them. I am glad to see you back.
    ¿Qué tal por mi tierra????Seguro que de maravilla.
    Mil besos.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are fabulous and, like Margaret, I'm particularly loving the second pair down. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's my kind of woman! I feel I might have a few more career changes in me. I've got a pair of Georgina Goodman shoes, but they don't sport the stripes... Maybe I've got to check again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #2 is my favorite. What might your new career be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog and OMG... I love your style and want to see your closet and shoes. I'm so jealous! ;-)

    You will be part of my daily read.

    http://heytherecarole.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the second one !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! The second pair! SHOEGASM!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...