Monday, 21 March 2011

Feathers and Leather

 

Don't be fooled by pictures of flowers sprouting from the ground, blue skies and window displays in shops brandishing mannequins dressed in floral prints across UK blogland. Despite officially being Spring it is still cold here in the UK.

Still cold enough in fact for me to crave the warmth of a fluffy gilet over my tops but temperatures have at least thawed to the point where I can wear my leather shorts again (albeit with wool tights) without wanting to run back indoors and change into trousers. Yesterday Mr V and I hit the town for an afternoon of shopping and dinner with some old friends later in Soho.  I was desperate to wear something other than the black wool tights, jersey harems and Mongolian fur gilet I've been wearing on endless loop this winter. So out came the shorts and this navy feather gilet I've recently rediscovered.


Whilst perusing the rails in Cos on Regent Street I overheard a young woman complaining loudly to her boyfriend that there was nothing but shapeless black things being sold there, without pulling out a single garment on its hanger for closer inspection.  Au contraire! I couldn't have disagreed with her more as I snapped up two of their amazingly soft pocket jersey tees and barely restrained myself from grabbing a great basic black jersey maxi t-shirt dress as well.  While I doubt there are many people who could do one hundred per cent of their clothes shopping there, to write off Cos completely is to entirely miss the point about one of the best places for good, quality basics on the UK high street.

I find Cos full of very useful things like great jersey and knitwear in fantastic fabrics and while they may appear shapeless and unobtrusive on a hanger, they sit or drape wonderfully on the body or can be styled up with a belt.  Yes, there are a lot of black pieces but they regularly offer versions in good neutral colours like white, navy, beige, nude and grey.  For the more adventurous colour mixers, this season they have extended the palette to more daring shades of coral, tangerine and chartreuse.

It's probably fashion's worst kept secret that Cos is where many a fashion editor heads for wardrobe basics.  Such plain pieces can seem boring to the untrained eye.  But it is their unobtrusive form that lends them their usefulness as staples and layering pieces, allowing them to lay the foundation for an outfit without competing for attention.  Their very simplicity means that they don't fight with your more outlandish pieces, like leather shorts, feather gilets and statement necklaces for example!

Navy feather gilet, Kate Moss for Topshop; Wool Turtleneck, Cos; Leather Shorts, Oasis; Wool tights, Falke; Studded cuff, Warehouse; Necklace, Merle O'Grady; Shearling Clog Boots, D&G;

21 comments:

  1. Love your shorts and feather gilet! Glad the weather was warm enough for you to wear them.

    xx.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a cos in Edinburgh! I don't think there's even one in Glasgow!

    Those shorts are perfect for you btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to break out the leather shorts again, and nice boots. I like Cos and you're right, simple restrained pieces help hold an outfit together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outfit, perfect transitional spring wear as it is surprisingly chilly when you're out of the sunshine. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cos is a fab store but you really need to try things on. So many of their neutral things can look boring/shapeless on the hanger but looks fab on and become a 'can't live without' much loved piece! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man i wish i had a Cos locally. I love your outfit, and i'm coveting another gorgeous gilet - i want all your gilets!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The feather gilet is lovely. Cos has some great stuff, but not sparkly enough for me ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could never pull this off but you look so hot in it. I am also loving that cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a black maxi tee this weekend...though I haven't a clue how to style it just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PERFECT - MORE PERFECT - THIS LOOK!

    What a über-glamorous combination! *LOVELOVELOVE* Nothing beats fur & leather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do love these shorts!!

    Know what you mean about shops like Cos - I LOVE my basics and get most from Gap - for many the rails look a little boring but they are perfect for layering and base layers. And the classic look that I prefer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful black outfit ! love your boots !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I deeply, deeply wish I had a COS nearby. You and others speak so highly for their tee-shirts and basics, and those are exactly what I need. I went out this Sunday to the mall to hunt for something, but the basics were either of poor quality or far too expensive. Time to pull out the sewing machine, me thinks. (Indeed, at the higher end I repeatedly found the soft cowl tee I plan to make! I'm so on top on things. :) ) If I had a COS, though . . .

    You look beautiful in your shorts! Despite being only in the 40s this weekend, I went around without socks or tights. Sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be visiting COS in 10 days! Yippi! I can't wait! It's my favorite shop! Hands down. I feel bad that I miss COS more than I miss one of my best friends I'll be visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exactly what my wardrobe needs. I realized this year that I have virtually no basics. Ok, I lied. I have two. And they're both years old. I'm totally tired of them! Love the leather shorts & gilet. So well done:)

    f
    The House in the Clouds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the fur gilet, been looking for the perfect one myself.
    xx
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found your blog through the FBFF and I love your style and your wardrobe! I'm a follower now and I hope you find a way to resolve the content stealing situation (wish I could help but I have no experience in that area, thankfully!). :))

    http://stripesandscarlets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. My fav tee is a black Coz one, youcant beat black! It is still cold here if you are in the shade, I have been walking around trying to get inthe sunny bits x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...