I have attempted to contact the web hosting service with complaints to no avail so I have now contacted Google to report the infringement of copyright. I will be giving this a few days before I enlist paid professional services to help because I do not see another way in which a site like this can be held accountable for what it is doing. I have had some stellar assistance through a query on the FBFF Google discussion group but I would appreciate advice from anyone else who has had a similiar experience with this type of scraper blog and their success rate at getting their content removed.
A bit of research has shown that burning your posts in a feed in its entirety (all images, text etc...) makes it easier for these types of sites to steal your content. So I have adjusted my feed to only provide a summary and an invitation to click through to my site here. I am really sorry to have to do this for any of my readers out there who have subscribed to the feed for the convenience but until I get some time to sort this all out my poor little blog needs some extra protection.
I don't have a huge following on this blog and I am really saddened that I may lose precious readers by changing the feed in this manner but search engines like Google will actually penalise my site for having reproduced content on the web. So if you are at all concerned about your own blog please check for plagarism of your content - to do this online, this site was recommended to me: http://www.copyscape.com/ It shows up content which has been plagarised from your blog.
These are sophisticated crooks - the url at which my stolen material keeps changing - this obviously makes it more difficult for you to lodge a complaint about copyright abuse to the hosting site and search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc... as you are required to send the url where your material has been copied to.
And please if you are a blogger listed below I have seen material from your blog on this site too. If you want to get the link to the site please email me (veshoevius @ taxonomyofmywardrobe.com) and I will give you all the information I have about submitting a complaint and what I have been doing to stop these crooks. The more complaints they have against them, the more chance they will be taken down by the powers that be.
Cloud of Secrets
Calamity Jem (I'm 95% sure it's your site)
Penny Dreadful Vintage
Street Style London - Pics by Polka Do
Rags against the Machine
Grit and Glamour
Bubbling with Elegance and Grace
I'm Not Emily Brown
Fashion Pearls of Wisdom
Comtesse de Ferveur
Mrs Bossa Does The Do
I will keep adding sites to the above list and updating as I recognise others. I believe the site is running an automated process - I have noticed more and more of my blog material appearing on the site with time - I think that once they have you on their radar there is some sort of automated process that goes back to scrape more and more material off your blog over time.
I am still researching what to do and as it has been a very distressing, demoralising and time consuming process, so I will not be doing any further blog posting until I can sort this out. Hope you all understand and continue to come back! I will update as soon as I can.
Ladies if you are on the list and have found your material copied by this blog here are some starting points to complain:
1. I don't wish to link to the offending site to send them more traffic but if you haven't found the Fashion Trending site and their IP address through your own devices (doing a whois search etc..) I am happy to email you details.
2. This is the web hosting service's website www.softlayer.com and their procedure for lodging a copyright infringement complaint http://www.softlayer.com/
Email your evidence to email@example.com, you could also copy in firstname.lastname@example.org for good measure.
3. Complain to Google - go to this link (it is the "Report Illegal Activity" on Google's Help section)
I took an educated guess and selected "web search" from their options and a menu listing copyright infringement came up and I just followed the instructions after that - you will need to provide urls of your copied work and urls of the offending site where your work is being infringed.
4. It is advisable to do the same for 3. at Yahoo and MSN to prevent the site from indexing yours.
5. If you are on Wordpress and can install an antiscraper plugin or some code that blocks IP addresses from accessing your site do so ASAP - HOWEVER if you intend to complain or have a written complaint pending with the hosting site www.softlayer.com don't block the IP address yet, as the address is theirs and they will probably not be able to access your site to verify your complaint!
6. Kirsten of Relatively Chic has just advised me via FBFF that she has posted about How to Deal With Splogs Content Theft. This is a MUST READ if you are experiencing this problem as Kirsten has broken down in very understandable, clear language a number of steps you can take to stop the sploggers - including a tactic to add a post feed footer for Blogger users. Thanks Kirsten!
I will update as I get more information!