Friday, 4 February 2011

Friend Friday - Staying Unique in Blogging Events

Ai WeiWei Sunflowers: Tate Modern - a statement about an individual's place in society.
Friend Friday is run by ModlyChic.  To participate email katy_rose1@yahoo.com.  This week we are talking about how you maintain the unique selling point of your blog when you participate in blogger events.

1. With all the blogging events out there how do you determine which ones to participate in and which ones to avoid? 

That's easy: I just avoid all of them!  Except for Friend Friday of course - that must count as a blogger event and a pretty hefty one at that! I signed up when there were something like 30 members and now there are apparently ten squillion.

I joined Friend Friday because I love writing and was new to blogging.  I wanted to exercise my brain and structuring my writing around a set of challenging questions every week (or two) seemed a good way to do that. And it is a great way to meet other bloggers too!

What I haven't participated in and probably never will are the style challenges limiting you to not shopping, remixing with a limited selection of your wardrobe etc... I understand the reasons people do this.  I get it, really I do.  But to quote Gauguin: "my brain is allergic to instruction."

2. Be honest, have you ever jumped on the bandwagon of some blogging movement/event for the wrong reasons? How did that turn out? 

No.  I tend not to sign up to blogger events because I feel most of them have inflexible and unattainable goals that I don't feel the need to set myself.  Like having to post daily for 30x30 or leaving 500 comments in one month.  I just wouldn't be able to make the time to do those sorts of things.

I recently put my name in the hat for a British Bloggers Society regular write up for guest posts and it was for good intentions. I was keen to get more involved there as a guest writer and get given some interesting topics to post on.  They came back with a cracking subject about covering style in your area this month.  But unfortunately I think I've overextended myself there as I just won't have time to do it before the deadline and now feel a little silly for signing up in the first place.  Maybe next month!

3. How do you give your own flair to a blog event while still maintaining the general mission and purpose? 

I can only account for what I do with Friend Friday and that is write what I really think and in my own writing style.  I generally don't read what anyone else has posted before I finish writing and post myself so I don't get swayed by what anyone else says on the subject.  I also take my own pictures for the blog and I do outfit shots in a way that I am comfortable with.

4. When determining the best content for your blog what criterion do you keep in mind? 

I just focus on things that inspire me to write a post whether that be an outfit, a piece in my wardrobe and a personal story behind it, a good photo or image, a magazine article or something that gets on my nerves.  If I'm not inspired, I don't post.  Simple.

5. While everything will not suit your blog, how do you try and support your fellow bloggers who are participating in something worthwhile but not your style?

I have been cheering several bloggers from the sidelines in various blogger style challenges like Cynthia from Be Fabulous Daily when she was doing the GAAD and all the 30x30 remixing ladies.  I also posted on my admiration for them on my own blog even though I'm never likely to participate.  I think these types of challenges can be fascinating to watch and wanted to publicise their efforts as someone else reading could be inspired to join in.

17 comments:

  1. I think that's totally right, everyone needs to think about what's attainable for them, and that doesn't mean that because you don't do something, you can't support others who do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend Friday is totally a "blogger event"! It is a pretty big undertaking but one that definitely gives as much as you give it. I find the community in the Group is so useful and supportive and the questions and structure are something I look forward to each week.

    The 30 for 30 challenge is definitely... challenging!! Taking a photo each day and thinking of my outfit EVERY day is a challenge! But I am trying and that's what counts!!

    Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The West of Ireland is stunning, isn't it? I'm from the South East or the 'Sunny South East' as it's known (so not the case)! I enjoyed this, I also wouldn't be up for doing a 30 for 30-style challenge but admire and cheer on anyone who does.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your answers to FBFF and I'm glad you participate in that!

    At the end of the day, you have to stay true to yourself first and your blog second - it all goes back to being authentic. You already know I'm a big fan of your blog and just because you don't participate in an event that I'm participating in, that will not stop me from coming by and rambling in your comments section! LOL. We are all here to support each other and keep fostering the community because that's what its all about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like MJ I always enjoy your well written Friend Fridays and how interesting... I didn't even know there are so many blogger targeted activities. As much as I love the blogging community I wouldn't want to be pinned down to writing about/doing blogging events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your answers, too. You put so much care and thought into every post and comment you make and the blogging community would be a lot poorer without you. You rock! xxx
    PS I couldn't do the 30 for 30 challenge either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question, would you participate in like a 'real' event, as in like 'next blogger event' or something like this, or would you rather keep your anonymity? ( I think you are one of the few bloggers that I don't know the name of, and very rarely see the face in the pictures- I completely understand the reasons, for not wanting to share your personal info on internet, but I was wondering whether you would feel the same way about like personal event?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true. Some of the things are rather inflexible. I never really thought of it that way - and that's not for everyone, that's for sure!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think to some extent participating in too many blogging events/challenges/memes does take away from the authenticity of a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Filipa - well firstly I doubt I'd get invited to stuff like that - this blog is a bit under the radar to be of interest to people wanting to promote merchandise (which is really what that type of blogging event is about).
    I am also a very sociable person who would like to meet the other bloggers I often communicate with but I also quite like being anonymous. In short I'm not really sure how I feel about it. With London Fashion Week coming up I'm sure to bump into many bloggers I know online and they won't recognise me unless I say hello first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Veshoevius--I think you have managed to remain more focused than I have. Had never heard of the 500 comments a month challenge. GAH! Like you, I write my Friend Friday post before I read anyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your honest answers, especially to #5:)

    Stop by and say Hello♥
    Let’s Rock the 30x30 Remix..check it out!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friend Friday definitely does exercise your brain!! I have found myself thinking about my answers really deeply, because I don't want to write just anything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never join anything either. My blog is about my own freedom in all ways. I have been all my life following rules: studying, teaching, bringing up children. No rules anymore,ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh jejejje.
    Aunque como tu dices, es fascinante observar como los demás lo hacen.
    Mil besos y un maravilloso finde.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading your answers. I'm definitely following you now. I guess to many, blogging is about "business". But then also, to many, it's just about personal expression and documentation. And I'm proud to say, I couldn't care less about how many followers I have or will have. Blogging is not my entire life :) And if I do join something, it's only because I enjoy it, not because I want more exposure. Sorry, now I'm blabbering lol...

    Mari
    http://lifesamishmashedlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, V, you're ever so grounded! Aside from your highbrow Gauguin quote, of course. I'm a commitment-phobe when it comes to these events - I even back off a little from posting on Friend Friday occasionally. I'm doing a series of fashion/feminism posts with Citizen Rosebud, Franca and a few others, but I don't feel too pressured because it's something vital that I feel strongly about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ladies I'm blushing! So many kind comments! Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic. I'm happy to find some other like minded bloggers out there too and am also excited about seeing what participants in the latest blog challenges come up with this season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...