Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Marble Print Maxi Dress


I have been buying a little too much in the sales but my goodness the discounts are good! I bought this silk maxi dress for £25 in the Warehouse sale. Annoyingly, shortly after my purchase it was reduced further to £20! Curses!

The dress is designed by Daisy Craver, who won a competition run by Warehouse in conjunction with the British Fashion Council Colleges Council (now there's a mouthful for you).  A graduate of the University of Westminster, she produced a small and impressive collection for the high street chain. Described rather deliciously as feminine meets rock chick, it included studded leather leggings, silk maxi dresses and separates, a leather tee shirt dress, unusual biker jackets in ponyskin or foil print leather and studded ponyskin belts. Now that's my sort of designer! I was salivating over most of it when it first came out but incredibly, I managed to exhibit restraint and waited to see what turned up in the sales.

I finally caved in when I saw this dress reduced online. The sheer silk has a wonderful marble print and the  front draped design lends it a very Grecian feel (hence my rather hopeless impersonations of a Greek statue in these photos).  Come summer it will be lovely as an evening dress and I imagine that worn without the accompanying slip, it could double as a glamorous cover up over a bikini.


But I wanted to wear it now, so I used it to spruce up a plain wool maxi dress and break up my usual head to toe black.  I removed the slip that came with it and threw it over the top of my wool dress.  It's harking back a bit to my childhood days of being forced to wear long woolly garments under pretty dress but what the hey, I got to wear the dress out on the weekend without freezing.  It also made the dress a bit easier to wear during the day as the layering took the evening wear edge off it.

You can still grab some great pieces from the collection on sale online.  You don't often hear of Warehouse doing designer collaborations such as these and I thought this one was a lot better than some of the things I've seen in Topshop's designer collaborations.  I hope the collaborations continue and that Miss Craver will go on to do even greater things.


The strappy boots are Michael by Michael Kors which were going for a song at the Harrods sale.  I love it when I find a designer label at high street prices!

Dress, Daisy Craver for Warehouse; Wool maxi dress, Cos; Boots, Michael by Michael Kors; Cardigan, Akiabara

19 comments:

  1. Ach, I just saw the warehouse skirt I bought for £50 for £20 in the sales... annoying! But what an amazing purchase. The silk alone would be worth triple and the dress is just beautiful - the way you wear it now and it will be in summer, worn 'pure'. (I also bought LOTS in the sale, but only because I'm not going to buy anything this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a find - I didn't even hear about that collaboration in the magazines (mags, eh?) - and I love your takes on the Ancient Greek statue!
    The boots are divine. Top marks in the sales for you!
    xx Comtesse xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so beautiful, very rock chick and I can imagine it looking stunning come the summer. Bargain!
    Those shoes you're wearing are fabulous, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is FABULOUS! I love it!!! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the marble print maxi. I can't wait to see how else you style it. It adds an element of interest to this black on black look.
    No Guilt Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous draping. I have had a few of those moments myself, but ho hum. You have to snap up these things when you see them. I spent too long deliberating over one pair of shoes, and they went UP by ten pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky girl! From the first photo I thought, this would look so great dressed up. Be sure to do a post about it this summer, all glammed up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice bargain! Love the way you've styled it!! I've bought a few things in the sale but then my goal this year is to buy little or nothing at ful price!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a versatile piece! It's very rare to find something you can wear in the dead of winter as well as in the heat of summer.

    --Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  10. isn't the warehouse sale just fantastic?? I've bought about five things from there this weekend, the maxi's are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And now I'm intrigued how it was supposed to look in the first place. It looks so good layered over the black dress! Print is gorgeous! And that draping! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love it when your patience delivers and you get it reduced? And well, £5 difference in £25 vs. £20 is much for muchness when you've got such a lovely number! :)

    You're *really* inspiring me to wear my summer dresses this way! And thank you for the mention of my gloves. .

    AND, I've also passed you the Stylish Blogger Award, not just for your amazing sense of style, the way you bring everything to life with words, and also for your warmth.

    http://devilishlypleasurable.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award-thank-you-x.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, what a great deal! It looks like a million bucks : D.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love the way you remix items. You have literally breathed life into a couple of my 'summer' items with this post. Thanks for the style inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH ME TOO, I love finding designer stuff cheaply! I recetly bought Valentino heels for 80 quid. Down from like a billion or something. You look great! I can't wait to see it in a summer edition:)
    And I went to Warehouse website and just thought to myself 'oh dear, not good. another shop I haven't look at sale stuff.. more money spent :P '

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a stunning dress!! But yeah grr how annoying is it when they reduce things further I have lost out on £10 on a jacket and £15 on a pair of shoes which went down further. I have to console myself that if I had waited they might not have had my size left!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I may well have said it before, but I love the drama of your outfits. It's a vicarious pleasure seeing you rock the stuff I can't - leather, sequin, studs and fabulous edgy patterns. If I ever see you in a tea dress I won't know what to do with myself!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh that last image is perfect for this look!

    I'm all about the bargains... in Aus sales start as soon as the season starts! So you can end up with amazing finds at ridiculous prices half way through the season!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...