Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Leopard Print and Tweed


Ever since Dolce and Gabbana sent leopard print blouses worn with tweed skirts down the catwalk I have been itching to give it a shot myself.  Not content with mixing leopard with polka dots I suddenly quite fancied having my leopard seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper.  Like meat served with chocolate sauce, it was a combination that sounded so bad on paper that there was the distinct possibly of it actually turning out to be very good. 

I have to say I quite liked the final result - a collision of the prim and proper with the reputationally racy around waist level, injecting a little of that classic D&G irony into an outfit but without the pricetag.  I layered up with some black knits to pull it together and add warmth, then hid it all under a big black coat!


I wore this outfit shopping with Mr V. weekend before last.  I figured since the seventies are coming back in a big way next season I'd jump the gun and work a billowy blouse and wide legged trouser ahead of time.  We were trying to find Mr V. a new winter coat in the sales but, as he is a very particular man about his clothing, we came home empty handed.  My new winter coat on the other hand, is getting some very good use!


Shearling coat, Nigel Preston & Knight; Trousers, Kate Moss for Topshop; Boots, Pied A Terre; Leopard print blouse, Topshop; Long sleeved black Heat Tech tee, Uniqlo; Cardigan, All Saints; Snood, Cos; Pendant, Vintage;

22 comments:

  1. What a fabulous look. I love leopard anyway and I think you paired it well with those wonderful gray trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I absolutely love your flares, such a fantastic fit and with the leopard print and maxi coat, seventies-tastic. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that leopard blouse! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ensemble is so fashionable. Who would have thought this was a new mix for you, because you pull it off in that très chic way. Inspiring--definitely inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have to have the right leopard and just the right tweed to make this work, but fortunately, you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tweed and leopard (especially chiffony leopard) is such a perfect combination, as you are showing here. And - I hate going shopping with/for the man. Particular, that's a nice word describing it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the leopard print with the tweed. It is a very sharp look. Sadly, I still have no animal prints in my closet.
    No Guilt Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! This is FABULOUS! I love the wild print with the prim trousers! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an interesting combination...and it works! Don't think I'm ready for cuffs on pants again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh I love this look! Not just the pattern/prints but the silhouette...You have a long torso and that's why this ensemble looks stunning on you! To me it's modern casual Ava Gardnet!!
    That coat is damn splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, great minds must think alike eh? I love this combo - I would never have thought of tweed and leopard print and I'm thinking of booking a flight to the Northern Hemisphere just so I can pile on the look, I love it so much!! Great to see your gorgeous coat working for its keep, it's so beautiful. And thank you so much for all your kind words Miss V - you are one special lady xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one awesome combination. you've interpreted it excellently. I love that gifted duo of designers - they are pattern geniuses. Also, REALLY great trousers!
    xx Comtesse xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would never think of mixing leopard print with tweed either but you did an excellent job! When you layered the top with the knits and jacket, the look was absolute perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I really love that blouse! Leopard absolutely works with tweed!
    And that coat! That coat! Eh....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leopard print has to be matched well to look good, so I think I agree with you about polka dots combo, but this one with tweed looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this look. You're right- the prim and the racy get so nicely mixed together and create a pretty fantastic outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all! I wouldn't have thought of it combining these two fabrics and prints either so goes to show what the big boys in the design world can teach you about the possibility of mixing things up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! I love the idea of animal print with a strong tweed, and that vintage pendant is the stuff of my dreams -- I like a spot of hefty ornate gold against neutral tones and minimalist shapes. I'll bet you gather lots of compliments on your coat when you're out and about! Unless Londoners aren't the sort to do that -- I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look very dapper, dear V. I know 'dapper' isn't usually a word used to describe women, but it should be. Love your slightly masculine take on the D&G trend - makes my experiments with leopard look very...tame! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...