Thursday, 2 December 2010

Creature Comforts


Turns out Mr V. did not want to go back out into the cold for last orders on Monday night.  So we went out last night instead to meet friends at a nearby pub and where we drank steaming mugs of aromatic mulled wine by an open fire.  Just the thing to warm you up on a cold winter's evening.

So my Yeti ensemble did at last get an outing but with one slight alteration - I had to swap heeled boots for flat boots and legwarmers.  Far less glamorous it has to be said however there was already far too much snow and ice on the ground for even a hardened high heel wearer like me to contemplate the risk of trying to walk in them.

My "bloomers" are in fact suede harem trousers which I got from Cos a year ago and their baggy fit is turning out to be very useful when you have to wear two pairs of thick tights to keep warm.  And I also quite like their bloomer-esque appearance when stuffed into knee high boots.  They are however, cropped at the ankle.  This means if I wear them on a frosty day with my mid-calf length biker boots there is a little gap between the top of the boots and the trouser hem that allows a ring of skin around there to instantly freeze when outdoors.

I was racking my brain as to how to get around this perplexing problem and then I'm Not Emily Brown came to my rescue and reminded me of how useful and warm legwarmers can be, not to mention a stylish solution against the cold.  So I dug out an old black pair from my ballet days (just seen above my boots in the photo above) and the freezing gap was closed!

Oh, and my yeti coat was duly stroked by all in attendance.

11 comments:

  1. Glad your Yeti outfit got a night out. The changes, though less glamorous, sound completely necessary. You still sound like one stylish lady.
    No Guilt Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Vixen have been on my mind so much today as I hear each new weather report from your area. I love the idea of suede harem pants. My two pair of such fine material I could never consider them for cold weather fair. You are looking warm and comfy...has all work ground to halt yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha brilliant - I love your stories of combatting the cold! Legwarmers are awesome - I also use a lot of mine as armwarmers!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the yeti outfit - and the bloomers. I've been wearing The Beast a lot over the last week, my vintage leopard print coat which is super warm and always gets a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a bit of fluff for making you the centre of attention and so warm, too. Legwarmers are fabulous, I make my own by hacking the sleeves off old jumpers.
    Mulled wine by an open fire sounds wonderfully inviting, mind you it doesn't beat an ice cold Kingfisher with your toes buried in the sand and the warm sea breeze against your bare shoulders. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the story about the coldness.. we dont have heavy winter here in Australia... but the leg pieces are great
    LOx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah legwarmers! Yes, I want some of those. I adore mulled wine and open fires x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mugs of hot wine sounds delicious! xx
    http://weshopthereforeweare.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so good to be in a good armchair besides a warm fire wearing comfy clothes ! Winter's pleasures !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this is only a little break from fashion, due to the weather. You will be back stronger, and if possible with a FACE yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Qué mala soy, eh????
    Quiero verte la cara por todos los diosesssssssssssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A-ha, so that's why you liked the idea of harems tucked into knee boots (I'm way behind on my RSS feeds here). I'm loving the thought of legwarmers...but then I was almost tempted to buy a jumper from Bon Marche because it looked so cosy to my frozen self! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...