I have just touched down in Australia this morning so posts are going to be erratic for the next two weeks while I run around preparing for my little brother's wedding. Suffering a spot of jet lag so am answering this week's Friend Friday. This week we have been asked to list ten things about ourselves. Some of my regular visitors may know all these already so I've provided some extra tidbits:
1. I live in Brixton, London. You can't get any gloriously grittier than that! I love it because despite its rather seedy reputation it has a vibrant community of immigrants, a great local cinema, a fantastic market that sells cheap vegetables and amazing fish, our local pub holds jazz jam sessions which attract world class musicians and when I come home late at night the streets are still buzzing and full of life.
2. I moonlight as a professional flamenco dancer. I run a flamenco group as well as work freelance. I perform around the UK. I got to perform at Glastonbury festival a couple of years ago but have to say the mud and toilets left me traumatized! On rare occasions I also get the odd bit of film and TV work as an extra and so have some insight into what working on film sets is like. It is a lot less glamorous than you'd think!
My first blog was actually about my flamenco experiences in Spain but it became too private and close to my heart to make public so I chose fashion as a blog subject instead.
I am currently freelancing for my other "day job" career but the ongoing recession here has meant I am more free these days than lancing. So I am now looking to get back into a permanent job.
3. I lived in Andalucia, Spain for a couple of years studying flamenco dance intensively so I speak pretty good Spanish and have many dear friends with whom I communicate only in Spanish. I return as regularly as I can to keep up my studies, attend local festivals and to spend time with friends.
4. I cannot function without drinking two coffees to wake me up in the morning.
5. I'm addicted to Mac make-up, have tonnes of it and am a pro at putting on my own make-up. I have always loved make-up and having to do my own make-up for shows means I get an excuse to buy lots of it. I've done courses to learn to apply it properly and have got used to doing it on the fly whilst travelling in cars and trains. I am one of those people that actually uses the Prep and Prime products! I'd love to be a make-up artist. I'm totally obsessed with foundation formulations and their different finishes and am always looking for a a foundation that doesn't come running off after sweating during a dance performance. I'm hoping Mac's new Pro Longwear range delivers! My latest obsession is false eyelashes.
6. Apart from collecting clothes, costume jewellery, shoes and make-up I collect blank notebooks. Yeah, I don't get it either. Leather bound, paper bound, as long as it comes with plain white or cream pages and looks beautiful on the shelf. No ugly lined pages allowed. Some turn into written journals when I'm very diligent. One actually became the handwritten predecessor to this blog, the real Taxonomy of My Wardrobe, a handwritten tome with a lipstick red cover listing everything I have in the closet!
7. I cry really easily watching sentimental movies. Really, really easily! I'm not just talking heart wrenching human tragedy and drama, even Disney pictures get me. I sobbed when the ant died in Honey I Shrunk the Kids and when the mother dinosaur died in The Land Before Time. I cannot and refuse to watch horror movies. The X-files television series is as scary as I can cope with (even the movie terrified me).
8. I am a mean cook. I love cooking and eating! My favourite cuisine is Asian and Italian and I love recipes by the English food writer, Nigel Slater. I have started learning a couple of Spanish dishes. I think I would love to do a food blog one day.
9. I can sew really well and used to sew my own clothes. I didn't study design formally but could modify paper patterns to suit what I wanted and could copy a garment pretty closely if I had long enough in a changeroom with it to work out how it was put together and what its measurements were. These days I don't have time to sew but I usually do my own alterations.
10. I don't own or watch a television. I don't know how anyone else finds the time to watch television but I find not having one frees up a lot of my time to do other more interesting and creative things. People always wonder how I manage to do a lot of different things like work, dance, cook and eat amazing meals every night and now blog. Couldn't do it if I watched TV every day. I catch up on series I really want to watch (which aren't many) by buying the DVD's and doing a marathon.
Where to Find Gucci 50% Off
26 seconds ago