Thursday, 3 June 2010

Purple


Fashion seems to be having a purple moment.  Whether the magazines are touting it or not as the shade to be seen in I seem to be seeing a lot of it on the street lately as well as in the shops.  It has been a while since you could find a lot of things on sale in shades of purple.  Now it seems to be everywhere in all its possible incarnations.  How can you relabel purple?  Let me count the ways - violet, plum, lavender, lilac, puce, thistle, orchid, mauve, magenta, royal, amethyst, wine, pomegranate, eggplant, mulberry.

I was quite suprised when I investigated a little further into the meaning of the colour purple.  I didn't know that it is identified with passion, romance, sensitivity, imagination and creativity or that it is the color of mourning for widows in Thailand.

Recently Jess Cartner-Morely featured this asymmetric draped dress by Vivienne Westwood in a dark royal purple as part of her video tutorials on the How to Dress series by the Guardian.

I had been eyeing it on my-wardrobe for a while.  Jess Cartner-Morely looked fabulous in it and the deep but vibrant colour was such a welcome change to black for an elegant draped dress.  Nothing is kinder to womanly curves than some draping by Madam Westwood.  Not long ago when the good people at my-wardrobe offered me a twenty five percent discount I caved in.  I wore it to dinner recently for my birthday and felt very grown up wearing it.  As you get older you need more sophisticated options in your wardrobe!

Purple jersey draped dress by Vivienne Westwood Anglomania

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...